Welcome to the Forum!

The best place to exchange builds and ideas! Vote for the best ideas and suggestions here.

Join the Avorion Discord!

Connect with other passionate players and talk about the latest news.
Discord

DLC Avorion Into the Rift Out Now!

Now available on Steam!
Steam

Ship Building - Lighting

Immortal Traveller

This might be a problem that very few people are having,

but when i design a ship, i do it from the outside - inwards. I make the shell of the ship how i want it to look, then i fill it up with the useful stuffs, sort of like a broom cupboard but with lasers and piracy.

the point is, i spend alot of time with my camera viewpoint actually in the hollow spaces inside the ship i'm working on, where it's really dark and hard to visualise the space. Sometimes removing a block gives me a glitch that lights up the interior and i can see everything for a short while, but then it goes back.

Is there any way to light up the inside of a ship whilst building?

Thanks for any help, it's very much appreciated.

Maybe putting "temporary" lights on the exterior of the ship: lights appear at a distance of one of the cubes' faces, maybe getting through whatever armor the ship has if turned to face the inside.

I never had this problem, so maybe disabling shadows and other things that may affect brightness will help too 8) !

• 1 month later...

Is there a good way to easily add to the interior of the ship? Its hard to see where you are placing items sometimes and I end up placing them on the outside because it snaps to a piece that is "hidden" from my view.

• 1 month later...

This is probably a known thing for everyone, but I suggest it anyway:

I use frameworks for the interior and build the armor around that. After designing the ship, I hide everything but frameworks and use the replace function to put it the desired interiors. The replace function is something I haven't found in the first place. Another is scrolling... this works currently only with focusing another block.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I understand that many people build just as you described ... build the shell first and then build inward.

Food for thought ...

I got in the habit early on of building the inside, then clad everything once the guts are done.  I still encounter tight spots here and there, though not to the point of frustration.

In my shipbuilding post, i show an unclad ship.  My ships are always optimized before i start the exterior.

Cheers

• 1 year later...