allow us to make ship parts without the origin block

Rashuga

Suggestion

6 answers to this suggestion

You already can copy and paste different sections and also save them. Use ctrl v and c to do so, i always forget wich is wich though... if you try to save it, you have to select one of the empty blocks from the building menue

I know but thats not what im asking for, thanks.

First of all, origin (or root) block is a strict necessity of the ship structure hierarchy, in general. There's a root block for any specific ship or station, which all other parts branch off from. This is what allows for quick wreckage procedure and for object files to be this compact. You can change the shape and type of that block to your leisure, and you can disable the Save Mode to remove it as long as there's another block, that the game engine can use as substitute and restructure the hierarchy to connect all other blocks to it instead of the original block being removed.

Second, like Wanderer said, you can copy and paste any interconnected parts of the ship and save them in the prefab field of the building menu by selecting any prefab slot and pasting the copied group into it. This is completely irrelevant to any origin blocks. When pasting a group from buffer or from the prefab field, you can hold Alt to manually select which block from the group will be used to attach it to the ship.

So answering to your desire to "make modular parts for ships without the need for including the starting origin square block", well, you can do that already, and there were never a need for the origin block for that to begin with.

Maybe I'm reading too much into the OP's words, but what I'm understanding they are asking for is that when you use a ctrl+v blueprint, when selecting the anchor block, being able to use an existing block as the anchor block, if it already matches the would-be anchor from the blueprint being pasted...

I don't think there's a need for a feature like that, but then I don't build in very complex shapes, so I dunno. But anyway, that's my interpretation of what's being asked. It's the kind of suggestion where pictures would be helpful to understand exactly what's being suggested.

Id really like to make modular parts for ships without the need for including the starting origin square block, that i can paste onto ships that already have that block

that original block is only present in the SHIP build. once you copy paste it, it becomes a normal block.

if you save the copy to the bottom section of the parts list you no longer need the original.  once it is saved there it can be accessed during any ship build, copied and applied to the new ship. hold the alt key and click the block of the part set you want to attach it with.  takes a tad getting used to but it works great.

another option is to add all the various parts to a special save that just has spines or plates full of several different pieces. if you look in the workshop you can see several examples of these. keyword 'parts'.  this is mostly handy for sharing these parts with others such as in the workshop. not so easy to use in the build process. requires a lot of saving and changing back and forth between the ship save and parts save.

hope this helps.