Persecutors feedback

avorionj5jth4

So in a ship that is strong enough in a sector.  No warning ! showing.

--change guns, get torpedo in ass

--switch to other ship that is not strong enough(right next to ship that IS STRONG enough) , because I want to make a temp ship to repair my main ship.  GET TORPEDO IN THE ASS.

if you change anything and get the ! warning your ship is too weak.  SUDDENLY out of NOWHERE, comes a torpedo in the ASS.

But wait,  lets not break immersion yet.  LETS allow a dialog to pop up and STOP YOU from doing ANYTHING until you press enter or click it.  The torpedo.....goes in the ASS...while you stare at the dialog.

Are the Persecutors balanced?  Do they make sense?  Do they break immersion?  Where do they come from?  They just suddenly detect your moment of weakness and then they show you their torpedoes.

I only have 500 hours into this game.  It has a lot of really good stuff going for it.  Empyrion was missing a great deal that Avorion has right.

I think the moral of the story is, if you don't want torpedoes up your ass, perhaps I need to wait 4 or so months while some balancing takes place.

thanks for all the fish!

First off, that's a lot of ass play.  ;)

I've noticed the persecutors are a little aggressive and have thought of a few ideas that could be proposed. Ship strength does not need to be always checked.  Perhaps only check the ship's strength when entering a sector.  This would allow for the player to make changes without worrying about persecutors when changing ships/turrets/etc.

Those persecutors are even more brutal than enemies in Pulsar: Lost Colony :o ! Not a second before getting hit but Avorion has always been this brutal. The addition of ~30-range ~3500-speed seerker "torpedoes" with no lock delay just made all the brutality appear, as it was hidden by (unconsciously or consciously) outranging and outspeeding the opponent or dodging its fire :(.

For now, if you can ignore the other problems, little hacks can punch persecutors out of your game with minimal effort. To modify scripts I usually open them in Notepad and copy-paste them in LibreOffice Calc to get back normal windows line endings (I however had problems on some files and on lines that begun by ' or ", but it isn't the case here somehow.).

steamapps\common\Avorion\data\scripts\lib\persecutorutility.lua has the function that determines if a sector is "persecutable" ::)

function sectorPersecutable(x, y)
    local d2 = x * x + y * y

local threshold = 400
    local difficulty = GameSettings().difficulty

if difficulty <= Difficulty.Beginner then
        return false
    elseif difficulty == Difficulty.Easy then
        threshold = 320
    elseif difficulty == Difficulty.Normal then
        threshold = 370
    end

if d2 > threshold * threshold then
--        print ("too far out")
        return false
    end

if d2 < Balancing.BlockRingMax * Balancing.BlockRingMax then
--        print ("inside barrier")
        return false
    end

return true
end

Replacing the "return true" by another "return false" might end all persecutor spawning, as may replacing all thresholds by -1.

For people that would still like them but without the paralyzing dialogue, in steamapps\common\Avorion\data\scripts\entity\dialogs\encounters\persecutor.lua can be found the dialogue, and this function near it that might trigger it.

function PersecutorEncounter.updateClient()
    if not self.interacted then
        ScriptUI():interactShowDialog(self.makeDialog(), 0)
        self.interacted = true
    end
end

Commenting out the ScriptUI call (putting "-- " before the ScriptUI():interactShowDialog(self.makeDialog(), 0)) may mute the persecutors.