Welcome to the Forum!

The best place to exchange builds and ideas! Vote for the best ideas and suggestions here.

Join the Avorion Discord!

Connect with other passionate players and talk about the latest news.
Discord

DLC Avorion Into the Rift Out Now!

Now available on Steam!
Steam

[MOD] Weapon Engineering (Turret Editor)

darkconsole

I've installed the Dirty Server Manager along with a workshop mod and the Turret Editor.  The workshop mod and server run fine.  When I try to launch the /tmod command in game I get unknown command tmod.  Any help would be appreciated.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Love the ENT quote, coincidental that I'm working on the NX class in Avorion right now.

Not sure if it's possible through coding since I'm a bit new to Avorion's LUA scripting, but would you be able to add a sound selection option per weapon class? It would be valuable to people working on SFX mods like myself.

I would love to see this go up on Steam Workshop also, it seems like it would be easier for you to update as well. I know not everyone enjoys using it, though.

Love the ENT quote, coincidental that I'm working on the NX class in Avorion right now.

Not sure if it's possible through coding since I'm a bit new to Avorion's LUA scripting, but would you be able to add a sound selection option per weapon class? It would be valuable to people working on SFX mods like myself.

I would love to see this go up on Steam Workshop also, it seems like it would be easier for you to update as well. I know not everyone enjoys using it, though.

i utterly loath steam workshop so likely no. but i will consider your sound idea to see if it is even possible, i need to update this mod for the new modding system soon anyway.

my hunch is that the sounds are likely not something i can mess with though, i assume they are probably bound to the type of turret.

i utterly loath steam workshop so likely no. but i will consider your sound idea to see if it is even possible, i need to update this mod for the new modding system soon anyway.

my hunch is that the sounds are likely not something i can mess with though, i assume they are probably bound to the type of turret.

Yeah, I know a lot of people aren't a big fan of Workshop.

As for the mystery of sounds, I'm guessing so too, but I do know that each type of weapon can have a variety of differing soundscapes, with plasma guns being the best example.

But anyways, good work with the mod so far, I've been absolutely loving it.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

This is the first mod I'm attempting to install for this game that is not Steam Workshop.  By "the game directory", I'm assuming you mean the \Steam\steamapps\common\Avorion location.  However, I've noticed that the %appdata%\Avorion location also has a Mods folder, so I'm just looking for a confirmation/clarification on the install location.

Thanks!

Hi,

This is the first mod I'm attempting to install for this game that is not Steam Workshop.  By "the game directory", I'm assuming you mean the \Steam\steamapps\common\Avorion location.  However, I've noticed that the %appdata%\Avorion location also has a Mods folder, so I'm just looking for a confirmation/clarification on the install location.

Thanks!

It's the steam game directory. I'm using this mod myself (and loving it!).

Hi,

Thanks!

It's the steam game directory. I'm using this mod myself (and loving it!).

Thanks!

So just got this mod working.  Playing single player, but using the "/tmod" command in chat wasn't doing anything.  When I made the edit to the admin.xml file as if it were multiplayer, that put the icon on screen without having to enter the command, so good to go.

Some quick feedback, though.

Would be nice to have sorting options (if possible).

And it'd be nice to still be able to see the favorite star icon on the turrets (that way I know which ones I've been favoriting for whatever reason).

Haven't had much else for time to use it yet, though, but looks good otherwise!

EDIT: Oops, bug?  When playing on a Creative galaxy, credit only options (like scale) won't work.  Says I don't have enough credits.

EDIT2: Just to throw in another quick observation, the scale slider is difficult to read.  The little block indicating where you are on the slider is super hard to see, and you can't tell what the current position actually relates to size wise.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I haven't done an abundant of testing, but the mod definitely still works(as of 0.29.5), at least in singleplayer. Haven't touched multiplayer.

If the instructions are unclear drop the 'mods' folder in: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Avorion\data\scripts

And then drop the data folder here: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Avorion

In game run /tmod in chat. I had to relog to get it to appear the 1st time, but after that it works everywhere I go. It also didn't load the correct icon, so if you want to fix that you can go in scripts/mods/DccTurretEditor/interface/TurretModding.lua. Find the function:  function getIcon(Seed, Rarity). Change the return value to: return "data/scripts/mods/DccTurretEditor/Textures/Icon.png"

If the instructions are unclear drop the 'mods' folder in: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Avorion\data\scripts

And then drop the data folder here: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Avorion

Does not work with version 0.29.6 r19037

• 2 months later...

This version will load and seems to be working alright so far on 0.32.2 with the updated modding system. It is however lacking some fixes to error checking, so make sure your Config.lua exists and is correct because currently its unable to yell at you about it.

https://github.com/darkconsole/avorion-turret-editor/archive/ce54583210a827aaba7f34979714d7651c8d3a0a.zip

new button: convert anti-fighter turret to flak cannon

convert 1 anti-fighter turret into a flak cannon for the cost of 5 other anti-fighter turrets. the range, fire rate, and explosion radius scales with the quality of the turrets involved.

video of just blasting flak https://streamable.com/0i4fd

video of it actually working against torpedos https://streamable.com/zohs5

background: if you don't know what a flak barrier is, watch battlestar galactica. the principals behind it is to create an area of denial to prevent fighters from getting close and stopping incoming munitions without having to try like point-defense guns must. there is also an intimidation factor at play i am sure. these guns launch shells that explode at range. if the explosion themselves don't hit the fighter or missile then its likely the flak being fragmented everywhere is likely to hit something and shred it as it attempts to pass through the barrier.

in avorion the anti-fighter turrets are actually "pretty close" - these guns fire the explosive shell, but they are really accurate and slow firing. when you convert an anti-fighter turret to a flak cannon we are dropping the range to a base of 0.75km, lowering the accuracy to literally near zero, while amping up the fire rate. it then also gets renamed to be a flak cannon.

the better guns you convert the better results you get. double and triple turrets are going to pump out way more shells than single turrets so the probability of stopping a torpedo increases with fewer placed turrets neeed. the quality of the turret you are modding and the ones you scrap increase the range, fire rate, and explosion radius above their base. additionally, after converting a cannon to flak you can continue to modify it normally with the other features of this mod.

you can "reconvert" a flak cannon. this will reset it. you might want to do this if you converted one using all blues, and then later on want to easy upgrade all its base stats using all reds. you will lose any custom upgrades you did so i would not do custom upgrades until you are in late game.

Wow this is really awesome. The flak turrets are a little randomized but that makes sense for purpose.of creating the flak screen.

With stuff like this we could probably have some deadlier fighters, that are cheaper.

1.5.0 is now in steam workshop

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2017677089

* install and go. the config.lua thing is no longer a concern. if you WANT to make a custom config, it goes in moddata\DccWeaponEngineering\Config.lua

* updated to the new modding api

* Reinforced Mounting - reduce the slot cost of a turret by grinding up 5 other orange or better turrets.

* right click will send turrets up and down the ui to the next available slots.

* if you have NOT YET EDITED a turret, and it has auto-targeting, there is now a button that will say "fix auto nerf" which will update the turret's damage to be the actual damage it would have been had it not generated with auto-targeting. this must be the first edit to a turret.

* fix for railguns showing the "lenses" button instead of "barrel" since they are projectiles.

* larger ui, more inventory items in it.

* switched to the InventorySelection which allows you to filter and sort the inventory.

* convert Anti-Fighter turrets into Flak Cannon turrets. (https://streamable.com/0i4fd https://streamable.com/zohs5) requires at least 3 other anti-fighter turrets to be scrapped. they will be higher dps than they were originally, but that dps is also spread across a square kilometer of space so they still do like not much damage in general.

• 7 months later...

the next update for Weapon Engineering (after the DLC is released) has a complete overhaul to the upgrade balance system that should help with the server admins that had qq about players grinding themselves into god eaters. tl;dr version is tech level is the base of the magic now, and is increased with each upgrade.

assuming all the default setting if you upgrade a turret using 5 others that are equal tech and rarity, it will be a 1.2% (1 for tech level, 0.2 for rarity bonus) upgrade. using lower tech or lower rarity will be lower. using higher tech or rarity could be higher depending on the combo you scrap.

this means once players reach max tech level guns, the most they can get is 1.2%. except, i now bump the tech level past maximum, so each upgrade after will be less effective than the previous as the tech level pushes past maximum. to combat this, players will need to grind an assload of turrets past maximum and use those to upgrade so this quickly becomes an exponential endeavour of the sheer number of turrets they have to sit there and grind

if you upgrade a tech level 10 using tech level 20s, the final result will be 15. then 17. then 20 probably then 21 then 22 then 23. if you upgrade a 52 with 52's, it will end up 53. then 54. etc etc, and this is our end game diminish.

i haven't quite decided how but i also want to bump the rarity up. maybe if all the scrap tech level >= and all rarities >, bump the rarity up 1. but this also will be a factor to curve the end game to prevent abuse of using purples to upgrade a grey to stupid levels.

someone using the engineering systems can eventually grind guns better than what will drop, but it should be curved pretty heavy preventing the endgame imbalance.

p.s. its all configurable for the server admin.

Edited by darkconsole

• 2 weeks later...

1.6.3 contains a fix that should prevent the fighter factories math from exploding when people upgrade the heatsinks too much. steam user TigersFangs took the time to actually try and find a way to repeat it, and the addition of the liquid naonite cooling system button actually helped solve it.