Welcome to the Forum!

The best place to exchange builds and ideas! Vote for the best ideas and suggestions here.

Join the Avorion Discord!

Connect with other passionate players and talk about the latest news.
Discord

DLC Avorion Into the Rift Out Now!

Now available on Steam!
Steam

[MOD] Weapon Engineering (Turret Editor)

darkconsole

Does this nice little mod work with the current game version?

Asking before trying, don't wanna scrap my galaxy :)

Yeah we plugged this into our server mid-playthrough and it worked fine, just /tmod on your ship and the new options appear.

Unrelated, I've been having issues upgrading weapon heat or energy stats. Damage, fire rate, and servos work fine, but clicking "Heat Sinks", "Capacitors" or "Transformers" simply does nothing. No items are consumed but no stats are modified, and no error appears.

My friends are able to do it, and I even mailed them the weapon I was trying to modify and they were able to when I couldn't. Any help?

right now it sorts by "stars" and "trash"

if you star things in your normal inventory, they should show up in the top left of the turret editor list. if you trash icon things in your normal inventory, they should show up in the lower right of the turrent editor list. unforunately the turret editor is not able to display the stars/trash, probably for the same reason the sorting ui doesn't work. but it does sort them in this manner.

• 2 weeks later...

is the scaling ingame really worth it, problem: investing exotic turrets dont do it that much like 2 normal, at least a cost scaling, and if possible make scaling for each turret type and attribute diffrent, so you just wouldnt get only 0,5 efficienzy on salavging laserers for 5 turrets that cost much,

scaling needs to get better at low stats and hard on high stats, if you have a salavaging laser with a effiency of 14% and you infest 5 good turrets for? 0,5 ??? better 2-3% and over 30% you will get 2-1 and over 45% 1-0,5

• 3 weeks later...

not working for me.

not sure what i am doing wrong. i think i did everything i should have. i type '/tmod' in game and nothing happens.

although i find the instructions a little odd.

you mention to copy the folders to 'your game'. what folder is 'my game' exactly?

is this in the steam directory?

please help I NEED my lasers to be purple, thats all I want.

thats all ive ever wanted. spaceships with freaking purple laser beams attached to their heads.

• 2 weeks later...

This is an awesome mod, but I have 800+ turrets. Without a filter of some kind I doubt I will ever be able to use it. It takes me a massive amount of time to change my turrets, because I can never find them.

(EDIT) - Nevermind. It never, until now, occurred to me to 'favorite' the specific turrets.

Wow wow wow this looks like an amazing piece of work! Great job!

I haven't tried the mod yet -- definitely will very soon --, but I already have one suggestion for future versions: consider

• using a System Module; or
  • creating a new Station

that houses all of this UI and functionality instead of using a chat command. That way, the mod becomes "more immersed" into the game experience of Avorion. If you have to use a chat command to activate "hidden" functionality in the game, that's something you can forget about, but more importantly, it "feels cheaty".

Instead, if you run into a "shop" where they offer this service, or you find a System Module that "installs new functionality onto your ship", that feels like a new experience in the game, which should make the whole experience more awesome.

Just my two cents.

Can't wait to try this out for real.......

By the way your post construction and instructions, text editing work and use of screenshots is commendable. I wish all mods had this level of attention put into their presentation.

EDIT:

Ah, lol, excited Shrooblord should continue reading the first post before his excitement carries him away and makes him write a post full of stuff you were already planning to begin with. Ignore me!

• 2 weeks later...

WARNING: Do NOT use this mod on a server!

All buffs are calculated client side and sent to the server.

The server then simply trusts the client and takes the values from the client instead of calculating them.

This means that any player can manipulate their client files to get insane buffs.

(Go to TurretModding.lua and change 'return BuffValue' to 'return BuffValue + 10000')

Edit: You can download a fixed version of the 2 files in my PR: https://github.com/darkconsole/avorion-turret-editor/pull/2

I hope darkconsole will merge this soon/fix it himself.

Good catch, Pasu, and that highlights something important all modders should keep in mind: the client should never be trusted to handle anything but that, which is strictly necessary to be handled by client (eg. UI, referencing the local player, etc.). All bits of actual functionality should be handled by the server, usually with client-side collected information being passed over to server for processing.

This is not only to prevent cheating as you highlighted, Pasu, but also because clients can desynch, and, more importantly, in general, the server is the de facto authority in every situation. Server decides things, and clients accept those changes. That's just healthy multiplayer coding.

So keep that in mind when designing mods.

• 4 months later...

The fix is pretty easy for the new patch:

Go through the files of the mod and look for any line that says something like

InvokeClientFunction("blablabla")

Then search for the function with the name blablabla and add directly after it

callable(nil, "blablabla")

You do that for every  invoke in every file and use the correct function names instead of blablabla and the mod works again.... I guess :D

Hey! great mod! I hope you will be back to it soon!

As a suggestion, or as a new mod maybe, a "turret reshaper"

On a similar HUD/interface, you would select two turrets, of the same type, tech level, material and rarity, and one of them would be remodelled to be the same as the other.

This would allow us to get a more uniform payload of turrets. Is it possible to add or create?

On a similar HUD/interface, you would select two turrets, of the same type, tech level, material and rarity, and one of them would be remodelled to be the same as the other.

This would allow us to get a more uniform payload of turrets. Is it possible to add or create?

it may be. i do not recall off hand if the model or seed is changeable. i'll add it to the list.

it may be. i do not recall off hand if the model or seed is changeable. i'll add it to the list.

Thanks for considering it ;)