Welcome to the Forum!

The best place to exchange builds and ideas! Vote for the best ideas and suggestions here.

Join the Avorion Discord!

Connect with other passionate players and talk about the latest news.
Discord

DLC Avorion Into the Rift Out Now!

Now available on Steam!
Steam

So bigger torp launcher are useless ?

Hellatze

Well the obvious answer is that bigger blocks have more hitpoints, and Torpedo Launchers being one of your primary weapon systems, that's a good thing: you can ensure that your weapon is very hard to take down by making it larger. Other than that, no, no benefit as far as we could tell yesterday.

Haven't played the patch yet myself. Is there a benefit to adding several torpedo blocks?
Yes, multiple. For one, you can rapidly fire Torpedoes as each block has a 4 second cooldown or so. Having multiple blocks means you can fire more Torpedoes at a time. Not that you need that many Torpedoes, but... yeah. It's there if you want it.

Additionally, Torpedo Launcher blocks have an inventory for (I think) eight Torpedoes each. You have finite storage space by adding Torpedo Storage blocks, and the Torpedo Launcher blocks can extend this space by loading Torpedoes into them, as well as into your storage.

• 4 months later...

"Additionally, Torpedo Launcher blocks have an inventory for (I think) eight Torpedoes each."

Depends on the martial you make it out of.  And it's not based on number of torpedoes like fighters torpedoes come in different sizes

Well its not based at anything, except for materials, a 1/1/1 can hold as much as a 10/10/10 if the same material. A 1/1/1 made out of a higher material than a 100/100/99 can hold more. I think it should be kinda like the hangars, the bigger the torp launcher the more and/or bigger torps you can store, as a torpedo storage is nice but why would you if you use the tubes you dont wanna fire as miniblocks in your ship, for buying place a torp storage, get the torps in those tubes and then remove the torp storage? This way you have a small space lots of torp storage and all you need more is a small torp storage for transporting between tubes... doesnt make sense

Btw, fighters do have sizes, they just have a max for 120 fighters, but those being 120 8size or 120 1size doest matter at all

In theory torpedo tube sizes superior to 5x5x5 are useless as the biggest torpedo size is 5, though I wonder how "torpedo size" works. Is it the necessary volume (in that case 2x2x2 would easily fire torpedoes up to size 8) or necessary minimum cubic line size (so a 1.5 size torpedo would need 1.5x1.5x1.5 minimum) ?

Haven't played the patch yet myself. Is there a benefit to adding several torpedo blocks?

Fire more torpedoes at a time ;D

No, torpedo size isnt anything special i think, but they arent the same as how much space they take up, right?(otherwise its just how much torpcargo they take up) Because i would think size would be useless or it would be taken into account when shooting it down. Bigger target is easier to hit... but i dont think the tube has to be the size or bigger than the to be fired torp. You could test it out in creative i guess, maybe /run Entity():addScript("lib/entitydbg.lua") would help in order to get the torps without having to find them

The point of making a bigger torpedo launcher is that you don't have to refill it as often but ofc it will take longer to reload when you actually need to.

No it doesnt a bigger torpedo storage has the same amount of torps it can hold as a smaller one made out of the similar material. A bigger doesnt do anything, or i've missed a patchnote.