Welcome to the Forum!

The best place to exchange builds and ideas! Vote for the best ideas and suggestions here.

Join the Avorion Discord!

Connect with other passionate players and talk about the latest news.
Discord

DLC Avorion Into the Rift Out Now!

Now available on Steam!
Steam

The potential maximum of turret damage?

Hawkie

Hello,

I guess nearly everyone knows that crafted weapons from player bases are totally op. - Now is my question, what is the potential maximum of damage a weapon can possibly can have?

The best one I saw so far had 36.000 damage (Tesla). But players on the vanilla server I am playing on, seem to have even better ones. MUCH better. Some ppl have over 5.000.000 omicron. Oo What brings me back to my question. What is the maximum damage a crafted turret possibly can have?

Would like to know, so I eventually can detect possible cheaters.

Greetings

Hawkie

Omicron is a poor representation of weapon efficiency. In one of my playthroughs I ended up with a few million Omicron because I had supremely powerful Railguns with burst-fire, unfortunately they would overheat after three volleys and needed to recharge for a minute.

The Omicron unit assumes that you can indefinitely sustain whatever the maximum DPS of your turrets is. In my experience the most powerful turrets tend to not do sustained fire very well.

The Omicron unit assumes that you can indefinitely sustain whatever the maximum DPS of your turrets is.
That's a little contradictory, is it not? DPS assumes that an average is taken, and the cooldowns and whatnot are taken into account there.

I think the problem lies not in wrongly assuming an ability to indefinitely sustain the maximum DPS peak, but rather in not accounting for the cooldowns in DPS calculations.

I point you to the following mod: Ohm/DPS Calculation Display. It actually does take all these factors into account and gives very accurate numbers that more precisely indicate what you can expect of your Turrets. I propose that these calculations be integrated into the main core code of the game, and used for all DPS calculations. That way, derivative values like the omicron numbers and turret selling price based on DPS should follow suit automatically.

The Omicron unit assumes that you can indefinitely sustain whatever the maximum DPS of your turrets is.
That's a little contradictory, is it not? DPS assumes that an average is taken, and the cooldowns and whatnot are taken into account there.

I think the problem lies not in wrongly assuming an ability to indefinitely sustain the maximum DPS peak, but rather in not accounting for the cooldowns in DPS calculations.

I point you to the following mod: Ohm/DPS Calculation Display. It actually does take all these factors into account and gives very accurate numbers that more precisely indicate what you can expect of your Turrets. I propose that these calculations be integrated into the main core code of the game, and used for all DPS calculations. That way, derivative values like the omicron numbers and turret selling price based on DPS should follow suit automatically.

DPS can be a measurement of peaks aswell rather than long-term averages. In EVE Online for example they split DPS into two numbers, one taking into account reload cycles and one that doesn't.

Imo that should be the way DPS is handled in Avorion too. After all, depending on the health of your ship, one number might be more important than the other. A massive carrier might care more about what the sustained DPS of his opponent is whereas a more modest cruiser might only care how quickly this guy can vaporise him.