Welcome to the Forum!

The best place to exchange builds and ideas! Vote for the best ideas and suggestions here.

Join the Avorion Discord!

Connect with other passionate players and talk about the latest news.
Discord

DLC Avorion Into the Rift Out Now!

Now available on Steam!
Steam

What is there to do and what is going to come?

necromenta

Hi, first of all sorry for my english, im trying to stop using google translator and start to write by myself so, I apologize if I make a lot of mistakes writing this.

Hi again! I've bought avorion and I have been playing it during a week or two and I noticed some things:

1- There's a lot to do, but there's little to do: Since the start the game leave you alone, that's good but, there isn't a good tutorial that say you like "hey, welcome to avorion you can do this and this and this" that's very unfriendly, I've read some players in this forum saying things like "This is a sandbox, SAND-BOX" but I think the game can try to be more intuitive with the players about what is there to do, for example, I needed to search a lot in videos, wiki, this forum, etc to finally learn what does every f***ng block do to build a decent ship.

I need to say that the wiki is very outdated and lack of content, at least for now is not a good place to search for info about the game

2- The game can be like a job: The game lacks of AI ship types and action, the biggest mistake is that there isn't a way to notice epic things, you are alone and you will feel alone, as you don't have any objective in the game more than improve your ship, you should be able to notice what is happening in the galaxy, something like improving the radars or creating better radars that notice you when there's a big battle in a sector should solve that, but what everyone's say is just "hey, go mining for hours" that's pretty sad, mining is funny sometimes, but can be stressful, and there aren't many ways to keep happy with that, like, I don't know, a mining robot?, a way to make a ship mine for you? At the end salvaging is more funny and rewarding as if you know were to start disarming a ship (spoiler: the generators) you can get a lot of minerals in just seconds, were mining would take you hours

3- The devs are slowly: I've readed that there are just 2 devs. Will the game have a team in the future? the current devs are doing it great as they are just 2 persons doing all those things but the upgrades of avorion are very slowly and usually they don't offer a lot to say "hey the game is really going to change a lot with this!" I think that if they add some people to the team they will do more things in less time, just logic.

4- The traslations: Ohh god the big point, the translations, there's no one checking the spanish traslation (my idiom) and a lot of people have added things (including me) we all know that english is the universal idiom today etc etc, but everyone loves his culture and his idiom (at least the idiom come on guys) , and improving the way of checking the translations to let the community make it faster.

Finally I need to say that a clear roadmap will help a lot as the game is big, but feels empty sometimes, some people will like to see what's there to do and what's going to come before buy the game

Sorry for the big post, the things that I've write are basically questions to the comunnity, feel free to debate, criticize and even get angry with me for writing some things in a bad way (My english is bad, and I dont know how to be very polite sometimes, but im trying!)

I'll be reading you!

Hi, necromenta! Welcome to the forum. :)

I mostly agree with your first two points. The game doesn't teach you a lot going in, but in my experience, that was fun. Diving right in, exploring what to do and what can be done, and slowly figuring out by finding newer and richer materials like Trinium that, hey, the longer you play, the more interesting and cool stuff you unlock. But I'm an explorer. I like that playstyle.

As for mining/salvaging, I can agree it gets really bothersome if you've been playing a while and you're not really getting anywhere with your efforts.

My tip: get a ship built at a Shipyard with a Captain. It doesn't even have to be remotely strong: a petty 200 hull ship will do fine for this purpose: use the Captained ship to help you do boring and repetitive stuff you don't feel like doing, like Mining and Salvaging.

Although Salvaging is good for getting a lot of materials really quickly, Mining is a lot better at getting a steady supply of materials consistently. I generally have somewhere between 1-3 Captained ships mining, and no-one Salvaging in the early game. I've gone off Salvaging wrecks myself, as I learned that the reward vs. the time input into it was starting to piss me off (read: it wasn't worth it for me personally). Instead, I do other stuff, like explore and trade with Factions, picking up Delivery missions mostly for Gold and Platinum, as they pay a nice 50k Credits a pop. This helps me get a start-up capital. And while exploring, if you find a decent Reactivateable Wreckage, you're in business: find one of these, reactivate it, and immediately sell it for all its materials by deleting every block it has in Build Mode. They're the real gold mines, in my opinion.

I think that if they add some people to the team they will do more things in less time, just logic.
Actually, no, not necessarily. If the new people and the two existing devs don't work together well, they don't get along, or don't share the vision of and passion for the project, hiring new people might very well be detrimental to productivity, and could even slow things down.

Certainly, if everyone gets along and teamwork is great, then more people means more or better progress. However, more people does not automatically mean a more quickly produced game!

Improving the way of checking the translations to let the community make it faster.
If you want to help with translations, especially as someone who would be checking translations provided by other users, you can send the dev team an e-mail. They may just take you on-board as a Validator, and you could help provide and check provided translations, helping the translation project for Spanish (as I understand you would want to help with) along. :)

I've been accepted as a Validator for Dutch and I'm working together with DeathTech to provide and check some neat translations. Which reminds me: another day of translating tomorrow.

Finally I need to say that a clear roadmap will help a lot as the game is big, but feels empty sometimes, some people will like to see what's there to do and what's going to come before buy the game
Yup, I agree. There is a roadmap on the wiki, but to me it's not entirely clear which of these many features will be prioritised over others, and which are "would be nice but will probably not be worked on for a while"-type of features. I'd like some more clarity on that front, too.

Sorry for the big post, the things that I've write are basically questions to the comunnity, feel free to debate, criticize and even get angry with me for writing some things in a bad way (My english is bad, and I dont know how to be very polite sometimes, but im trying!)
I admire your determination to get better at English by writing without a translation aid. That's how you'll train yourself to improve! Good for you. ;D

Thanks for your reply! I agree with you in everything but I still think that they can search for some people to help they with the project, anyway, they're doing a great job

I have like 12 hours playing and im at the trinium tier (at least the most of my ship is hehe) but i don't understand some things, I hope you can help me with them:

1- This is pretty stupid: I don't know how to stop my ship. Yeah, that's it, I am using a lot of thrusters ( my ship looks so bad) but my ship is still taking a loooot of time to brake, im talking about 30 seconds to brake, most of times I need to turn back and start accelerating towards where I was trying to go, lol

2- I still don't know how to create a fleet or a faction, is it even possible? Im talking about having my own fleet, my own empire, commanding ships, giving orders, building stations, getting sectors, invading sectors, get into a war, etc

3- Why the progression in the game seems too.... fast? I think I have a little time playing and i feel like god, I can destroy every ship that I fight and I am already at 200-200 I think that's a very close sector range from the center. Is the game going to finish so fast?

1- This is pretty stupid: I don't know how to stop my ship. Yeah, that's it, I am using a lot of thrusters ( my ship looks so bad) but my ship is still taking a loooot of time to brake, im talking about 30 seconds to brake, most of times I need to turn back and start accelerating towards where I was trying to go, lol
Hahaha you and me both, buddy! ;)

No, but really - I fly a heavy ship and it feels pretty "proper" for it to take a long time to brake. I like it, and I've gotten used to flying around like that. The emergency "turn and boost" method you describe is always available just in case...

However, if you want to improve your braking thrust, check Build Mode and the Ship properties in the Ship Menu (press P). Experiment with which blocks increase the Brake Thrust significantly, and which lower it. My tips are Directional Thrusters (the ones that only point in one way) and pointing them towards the nose of the ship. They work wonders for your braking thrust. If they're not doing the job, consider making them larger in one dimension. I can't tell you which because every ship design is vastly different.

I'm also a big fan of Inertial Dampeners. They're only available in the Iron material (and, later on, in another, but ... spoilers), and I think they work pretty well. There are lots of people out here in the community who vote against them though, considering their large mass impact and energy consumption. According to them, Directional Thrusters should be enough to get you the braking speed you need!

Lastly, if your ship's mass is high, your braking thrust will go down. To compensate, build Directional Thrusters. But the higher the mass, the more (powerful) DTs you're going to have to install in order to get the braking thrust you're comfortable with.

2- I still don't know how to create a fleet or a faction, is it even possible?
Yes and yes! A fleet is easily done: go to any Shipyard and order the creation of a craft. Check the checkbox that asks for Crew and Captain. This will give you a Captained craft. You can interact with it with F and give it Commands, like Mine or Salvage (it will need the appropriate Turrets installed in order to do this). Congratulations! You have started your first venture into fleets in Avorion. :)

Beware, though. The ship AI is a little... well it's got a sense of humour, let's keep it at that.

To create your own Faction, you can start an Alliance. It's the right-most tab of the Player Menu (press I). An Alliance is, for all intents and purposes, considered a Faction by the game.

Im talking about having my own fleet
Yes
my own empire
Yes
commanding ships, giving orders
absolutely
building stations
sure thing - select Station Founder when you order a ship at a Shipyard. Stations costs a lot though. Many, many millions of Credits. Good luck!
getting sectors
Sure, whenever you go to an uncontrolled Sector and plant some Stations down, it will be considered controlled by you or your Faction/Alliance.
invading sectors, get into a war
Yuhhh well sort of. You, the player, can totally invade other Sectors and attack them. But Factions won't retaliate in the same way they attack each other in Faction Wars. They'll send Headhunters on your tail to try and kill you, but will never counter-attack with those massive invasion forces you can witness them using against other Factions they despise.

3- Why the progression in the game seems too.... fast? I think I have a little time playing and i feel like god, I can destroy every ship that I fight and I am already at 200-200 I think that's a very close sector range from the center. Is the game going to finish so fast?
The original game's balance tips heavily in favour of players. Enemies crumble under your might, and they always will. There are some mods out there on this forum that aim to fix that. I strongly suggest you check out Wayleran's Galaxy Mods. They're awesome.

but will never counter-attack with those massive invasion forces you can witness them using against other Factions they despise.

This hurt me a lot, is the game going to have that characteristic in the future? Because thats one of the things that I really wanted to do :c  "A fuc***ng massive war with a lot of factions in a sector and lots of ships!!"

Ill give a try to that pack of mods after I finish my current game, BTW is there any mod to add some things to the game? Or any mod that adds more "action" to the galaxy like more wards and battles between factions?

I need to finish saying that I dont want the game to be harder, just to have more content to explore and adquire :c

Wait for the combat update.
Dude, we get it. You want the Combat Update to come out. So does everyone else. Don't bump every single thread with the same message. It's not cool.

----

Currently you can build ships and even start an own Faction, and with some decent mods, you can set up something really quite sweet with a lot of flexibility and end-goals for late-game. However, I feel like certain simple things that would aid in Empire-building are missing. For instance: the ability to rename or appropriate Sectors. Now this is a change that shouldn't be too hard to implement, I don't think. It's not brand new sparkling functionality more than changing a property from read-only to writable, and storing the new data after a change. Big whoop.

I'd love to also play the corporate conglomerate who buys out Sectors from other Factions. Being able to buy / sell entire Sectors (with the possibility of everything inside them) would be cool.

We can certainly hope!

And if they don't, I sincerely hope the devs or someone in touch with them read suggestions like these. Not just suggestions in Suggestion topics on that subforum, but random suggestions proposed by people in the community talking amongst themselves. That they read them, and that they can make some magic happen on the C++ side of things and say "Hey now, look. We don't have the time or funds to put in those changes you guys want, but here's some new callbacks, here's some exposed variables, here's some properties made writable. If you want it, you can mod it in. Go nuts, guys. Have fun."