Welcome to the Forum!

The best place to exchange builds and ideas! Vote for the best ideas and suggestions here.

Join the Avorion Discord!

Connect with other passionate players and talk about the latest news.
Discord

DLC Avorion Into the Rift Out Now!

Now available on Steam!
Steam

Beta Branch Patch 0.15.8 Patchnotes

koonschi

• Boxelware Team

Patch 0.15.8

Date: January 23rd, 2018

We're squeezing in an important update before the combat update to add a feature that has been long requested and has been more than overdue: Out-of-sector-catch-up.

Basically, the way it works in Avorion is this: Since sectors take up a lot of memory, they're unloaded onto your hard drive when they haven't been visited for a while or when there are no players or player crafts in them.

The major problem that is created by this system, is that sectors without players or crafts are basically frozen, meaning they will be in the same state when they're re-loaded into memory as they were when they were unloaded.

You could visit a sector after hours and it would basically in the same state.

In order to tackle this issue, we've introduced a callback to our scripts that will enable scripts to get a notification for when a sector has been loaded from disk, and how long it has been since it was last loaded.

We've equipped the most important entity scripts (ie. factories and similar) with this kind of callback so that the economy isn't frozen every time you leave a sector.

The out-of-sector-catch-up will be available for all stations in existing savegames, while the new stocking mechanic will only be available to newly discovered factories, due to technical reasons.

Beta Branch Note: These changes are currently available on the beta branch. The beta branch is for testing experimental changes and for finding and fixing errors.

This is how you get access to the beta branch (USE AT YOUR OWN RISK):

Right-Click on Avorion in your Steam list, Properties -> Betas -> Select branch 'beta'.

Gameplay

• Time passed is now simulated for most important stations when players are not in the sector and it gets suspended to disk
  • Habitats now buy books

Balancing

"AI factories with no products available are basically useless to the player, and too many empty ingredient slots make the factory unable to produce. So we're changing the way that factories are initially stocked, giving them more overall interactibility with players. At the same time we've toned down the profit margin for highly stocked or understocked factories, since these cases happen a lot more often now."

• Factories can now have an initial stock of medium amount of both ingredients and products
  • Factories can now have an initial low stock of ingredients and high stock of products
  • Reduced impact of shortage and abundance of stock on prices from 20% to 10%

Scripting API

• Added a sector callback "onRestoredFromDisk" that will receive the amount of time in seconds that the sector has been suspended to disk

Misc

• Removed X-Mas Contest fighter tag
  • Craft destruction is now logged for all players, not just logged in players

Bugfixes

"As usual, bugfixes marked with UBR are user reported bug fixes. Thanks everybody for reporting!"

• [uBR] Fixed an issue where the area of jumpable sectors wasn't drawn on the galaxy map
  • [uBR] Fixed an issue where the "build" option wasn't available in the interaction menu for alliance ships
  • Fixed an issue in build mode where the block size could get too large and even NaN
  • [uBR] Fixed an issue where organize goods missions weren't saved correctly
  • [uBR] Fixed an issue where Bottan didn't jump away when receiving collision damage
  • [uBR] Fixed an issue where ships duplicated after server crashes
  • [uBR] Fixed an issue where trading ships would get stuck and block docking ports

Great, thanks for the update.

Is it possible to add the out of sector simulation mannually to already existing stations via script? Or is this hardcoded? Id also like to understand, how exactly it works and wich factories are affected, but could not find anything in scripts folder.

Thanks.

Edit: If not, is it possible to find out in scripts, if a station already has out of sector simulation?

Nice improvements!  ;D

But I have a question.

The time passed simulation does include some kind of trading simulation, or only self production and self consumption simulation?

I really think some kind of trading simulation would be a good balancing feature, making the stocks more random than a predictable disconnected chain of production, avoiding the exploit of somekind of "broken" routes or similar situations.

See u o7

Great, thanks for the update.

Is it possible to add the out of sector simulation mannually to already existing stations via script? Or is this hardcoded? Id also like to understand, how exactly it works and wich factories are affected, but could not find anything in scripts folder.

Thanks.

Edit: If not, is it possible to find out in scripts, if a station already has out of sector simulation?

Mah forget stupid questions... tried to compare 2 script folders of the same Avorion version, and wondered why I can't see any difference...  :o

Is it possible to add the out of sector simulation mannually to already existing stations via script?
To answer this sort of question anyway:

For many entities, their setup script is run once, when they are spawned into the galaxy. If this setup script contains the activation for new features such as this OoSP feature, then older entities which were spawned before this new feature was implemented will not benefit from the new features. This is in general how it goes with Stations, because they are prime examples of such entities that only get set up once: during their spawning.

"AI factories with no products available are basically useless to the player, and too many empty ingredient slots make the factory unable to produce. So we're changing the way that factories are initially stocked, giving them more overall interactibility with players. At the same time we've toned down the profit margin for highly stocked or understocked factories, since these cases happen a lot more often now."

• Factories can now have an initial stock of medium amount of both ingredients and products
  • Factories can now have an initial low stock of ingredients and high stock of products
  • Reduced impact of shortage and abundance of stock on prices from 20% to 10%

Nerf season hits ! And trading gets the blow again, after the "500k cap on buyable stock" discovery :'(.

Damn, just as I started to make enough profit to actually make enough money to build stations in reasonable amounts of time, OTL. Time to idle twice as much and even more to continue expanding !

Thanks for the habitats now buy books and stuck traders fixes, however.

• Boxelware Team

I'll just leave this here, from the patch notes ;)

The out-of-sector-catch-up will be available for all stations in existing savegames, while the new stocking mechanic will only be available to newly discovered factories, due to technical reasons.

Hope that clears it up.

Whoa, it seems the "nerf" I pestered about is much less than expected, prices seem to stay the same for the most part. False alarm ! :)

However, Out-of-sector Catchup really works. :D

In fact, it works too well.

Way too well.

It seems to either not take into account how small the amount of hauling traders are doing, or grossly inflate that amount. I have seen water-needing stations with 75k+ cargo hold (so they'd actually have 25k units ready for water) go from 0 water to 20k+ in 10-15 minutes, in systems that usually haul by the low hundred units per hauler, with ships that come and go roughly every 5 minutes.

The catchup is so strong I cannot even identify supply and demand anymore, nor even kickstart my own stations :o).

yes, it worked so well.

however the trading post exploit still exist  :-\

hoping they fix issue trading post exploit as fast as possible.

note : for people who doesnt know what trading post exploit :

1. trading post will buy NPC cargo haul and you will get profit by tax (20 % of goods).

2. however you CAN take said item yourself. by going near trading post. and transfer cargo between ship and station.

3. then took all of it, all of the goods. sell it to nearby allied faction.

btw is there a limit for sector simulation ?

i hope they are limited to our sector instead. but unlimited sector simulation.

no. that was exploit, and you suppose to be happy with tax alone.

your station buy goods from someone, why you must take it from them ? your property or not, that was robbery.

also negate the point of creating station to make factory, if your trading post able to produce very high tier item (military vehicles, war robot, etc).

trading post should be money making, not goods robbery.

even with cool down, i can kill my own station to get resource i want with salvaging laser.

just set hull bigger than cargo.

I noticed similar behaviour with the OoSP mod: it's more advantageous to not be in the Sector that's got Factories producing things, because the simulations that run OoS behaviour estimate things much faster than they'd actually take place, given the Sector's spawn locations for Trader vessels, their travel times towards the Stations in question and the time spent docking and selling/buying goods. The estimations take none of these things into account, it seems.

I guess the OoS behaviour introduced in this patch works similarly.

no. that was exploit, and you suppose to be happy with tax alone.

your station buy goods from someone, why you must take it from them ? your property or not, that was robbery.

also negate the point of creating station to make factory, if your trading post able to produce very high tier item (military vehicles, war robot, etc).

trading post should be money making, not goods robbery.

even with cool down, i can kill my own station to get resource i want with salvaging laser.

just set hull bigger than cargo.

I do agree its not supposed to be like that, because you still pay money for turrets at a turret fac or for fighters on a fighter fac, so being able to take it isn't logical. I think that its meant to be your property, but independent.

With the recourses in the second last sentence hellatze, did you mean cargo?

Still not an update i was looking foward to.

So it still the same for me.

Dude, just stop complaining about everything Jesus Christ man.

Anyway, this update is looking really good

yes, it worked so well.

however the trading post exploit still exist  :-\

hoping they fix issue trading post exploit as fast as possible.

note : for people who doesnt know what trading post exploit :

1. trading post will buy NPC cargo haul and you will get profit by tax (20 % of goods).

2. however you CAN take said item yourself. by going near trading post. and transfer cargo between ship and station.

3. then took all of it, all of the goods. sell it to nearby allied faction.

btw is there a limit for sector simulation ?

i hope they are limited to our sector instead. but unlimited sector simulation.

who cares is a singleplayer game. The only thing they really need to fix as a priority right now is invincible fighters and destructive faction wars that clears entire sectors.