Welcome to the Forum!

The best place to exchange builds and ideas! Vote for the best ideas and suggestions here.

Join the Avorion Discord!

Connect with other passionate players and talk about the latest news.
Discord

DLC Avorion Into the Rift Out Now!

Now available on Steam!
Steam

QUESTION. About turret types...

_OMAR_

Can you guys please explain me about what weapon types are good for what? For example what is the exact difference between lasers and teslas? Or what is lighting gun good at? Or what is the difference between canons and missiles? Which weapon is best for stations? Etc..

Thank you...

I will tell you as much as I know, which is mostly only from experience playing.

Chaingun Turrets

They're classic, and they're solid. They deal a consistent damage output per second with pretty high fire rates, and they can deal an average amount of damage to pretty much everything. However, it's sadly mostly just that: average on all fronts. If you get one that doesn't overheat, I'd slap at least one of them on there to at least have something on your ship that is constantly outputting damage and isn't draining your energy supplies.

Bolter Turrets

These deal more hull damage on average and fire a little slower. I've never seen one that doesn't overheat, though.

Cannon Turrets

They fire a lot slower than Chaingun Turrets and pack a pretty decent knockback to your ship. This means you need to be heavy and/or large to use them effectively without flying way out of control because you fired your weapons. Kinda cool, actually. I believe they deal more hull damage on average, and have higher range, on average.

Launcher Turrets

These are rocket launchers. Rockets are cool. They go boom. Rockets travel very slowly and are hard to aim if you aim on target, but you can lay out a path in front of the enemy's travel vector and sprinkle it with exploding doom. They do a lot of hull damage on impact, and the ones with seeker missiles are just the coolest thing ever. Furthermore, some can have crazy fast missile barrages and long fire times before overheating, which can be a formidable asset to your arsenal. You just have to more manually steer their trajectory, because they travel very slowly in comparison to all other weapons' projectiles, and enemies are usually in motion.

Railgun Turrets

What's not to like about railguns? They have long range, long wind-up / cooldown time, and they fire a giant streak of blue/yellow energy upon impact. They have a chance to penetrate shields, which is nice, because if you can take down a ship without taking down its shields first, the battle is going to be over sooner.

Tesla Turrets

The first Energy Weapon I will discuss, Tesla Turrets have the shortest range out of any weapon I've encountered yet, falling somewhere between the 1.5 - 2.0 km range without modifiers. Tesla Turrets fire a continual beam of damage at the expense of more and more energy consumption per second. They're more effective against shields, in general.

Lightning Turrets

As far as I can tell, Lightning Turrets are special in a way that they can deal what is effectively splash damage. They arc through the original target, but also hit everything else in their path without stopping or being blocked, and even progress beyond the original target to hit stuff behind it, too, up to the maximum range of the turret. They fire in bursts of energy rather than a continual stream like Tesla Turrets do.

Plasma Gun Turrets

The Plasma Gun Turrets come in two varieties, as far as I've seen. You have continual Plasma Guns, which fire a consistent stream of bullets every X interval of seconds, and then you can have the "double/triple/quadruple" Plasma Gun, which fires in more of a barrage of multiple bullets at once, then another, after a delay. Plasma Guns are generally amazing at taking out shields, but they drain a lot of energy.

Pulse Cannon Turrets

Speaking about shields, Pulse Cannon Turrets are ionised and have a larger percentage chance to penetrate shields than Railguns. Again, damaging hull without having to fully take down the shields first is always a good thing.

Laser Turrets

Laser Turrets carry the potential for massive destruction. They drain an incredible amount of energy each second, but in return they can deal crazy damage to hull, too. Very good for unshielded targets or targets whose shields you've taken down.

----

I think I covered all the combat turrets I've seen so far.

----

As far as your question goes: it really depends. Is the station shielded? Does it have an exorbitant amount of hull? Probably yes to both. You should go with a balance between weapons that deal extra damage to shields, and those that deal extra damage to hull. I've always found that having both really amps up your DPS. The bonus to attacking a station: it's motionless, which means things like Rocket Launchers are now a lot easier to get consistent DPS out of.

Independent firing weapons will typically do less damage, but it means you won't have to hold down the fire button while you whittle the station down. You can set them to automatically engage targets in range, or you can tell them to attack a specific target.

I really like cannon turrets because they can do a huge amount of damage per volley but aren't slow like rockets. They can't fire for too long before overheating but if you get enough of them, things will typically die within a few volleys depending on your difficulty.

While every weapon can be used against any targets, in general it breaks down as follows:

Railguns can penetrate layers of hull (armor stops them).

Cannon turrets and launcher turrets are good against exposed hull because they are capable of doing aoe damage to multiple blocks at once. Launcher turrets can also have "seeking" which causes the rockets to follow an enemy.

Bolter turrets get a bonus damage to hull.

Plasma turrets get a massive damage bonus against shields.

Pulse cannons have a high chance to penetrate shields.

Laser turrets have pinpoint accuracy.

Tesla and lightning turrets I have not used much.

Chainguns are okay against everything and are one of the few weapons that doesn't overheat or drain energy.

This is all subject to change in the upcoming combat update part 1, but that probably won't be out for a few months.

Independent firing weapons will typically do less damage, but it means you won't have to hold down the fire button while you whittle the station down. You can set them to automatically engage targets in range, or you can tell them to attack a specific target.
What I really like about independent targeting is its ability to keep tracking and accurately firing at an enemy while I'm in motion and spinning around, unlike what manually fired turrets can do. Also, Launcher Turrets with independent targeting always "know where to aim" so their rockets will land, given that nothing changes about your trajectory or that of your enemy. In other words, they already take into account the travel time of the rocket with perfect accuracy, and predict where the enemy will be at that time, so aim their rockets there rather than directly at the enemy.