New Player - Initial Thoughts, Ideas, and Suggestions

Khorius Irelius

Suggestion

I am new to the party, only having discovered Avorion within the past month.

Let me preface this post by saying: I am impressed.

I have logged ~100 hours now into Avorion; and find it taking up nearly every second of my spare time. It has been a LONG time since I have played something so engrossing and encapsulating. When I heard about the size of the development team, I was even more impressed; please don't stop improving this amazing game! That being said, I think a few small changes (most of which already exist as mechanics in the game) could greatly increase the amount of content and replay-abilty that Avorion offers.

Station Docking Tethers

We all know how crucial the collision damage is in Avorion. I personally find it incredibly annoying and tedious (not to mention risky) that I have to get within 0.01 kilometers of a station docking point in order to dock my very large and very expensive spaceships; and I know I’m not alone in this regard.

NPC Ships dock up with stations from 3-5 KM away. I think simply giving players the ability to do the same thing would greatly improve the overall gameplay experience.

Player-Made Stargates

The ability to create your own stargates would be an amazing improvement to Avorion. I personally enjoy having different sectors saved, which I visit frequently for the different stations/services they offer. It is very annoying having to spend up to an hour (sometimes more) just to travel between sectors. In addition, this would be a HUGE gameplay improvement for traders who frequently run resources and goods from the center of the galaxy out to the edge, and back.

Dedicated Internal Server

Im sure this has been suggested before, and maybe even discussed at length internally. I know that hosting a dedicated server requires an immense amount of resources, dedication, optimization, etc. I have to say though, I think it would be worth it!

I would have no issue at all with paying a monthly subscription fee to participate in persistent Avorion universe (and I know I am not alone in this regard!)

Debilitation Turrets

Another type of turret with a simple function that would afford a lot of content and gameplay. Basically, the beam of these turrets with greatly reduce (or even disable) the functionality of whatever block it was aimed at. For example, shooting this at an enemy ships’ engine would reduce it’s maximum velocity. Shooting at a piece of armor would remove or greatly reduce the beneficial effects of that particular piece of armor. I think this would add an entirely new dynamic to Avorion combat.

Hyperspace Disruption Turrets

So, “hyperspace jamming” (aka jamming) already exists in the game, being utilized by NPC pirates. From the information I have been able to gather, this is the ONLY occurrence of this mechanic in Avorion. I understand that the developers are considering removing this mechanic, as it causes some issues. I would like to propose that instead of removing it, you simply modify how it works. Why not make Jamming a turret effect (with range, efficiency, etc. - similar to Force Turrets), allowing players to utilize the mechanic?

Some people may be wondering under what circumstances they would even use such a turret. This change would create all types of new content and ways to play for those of us who enjoy piracy. Also, PvP multiplayer fights would be a lot more interesting, with a whole new dynamic.

Energy Leach Turrets

The best example of what I am referring to here would be the Nosferatu turrets from Eve Online. These turrets would drain power from enemy ships, and transfer a portion of it to the ship utilizing the turret. Yet another simple mechanic that would greatly improve the gameplay.

I understand that most of this (if not all of it) is easily achievable using mods, but I prefer to play games unmodified, retaining all of the balancing and game mechanics that the developers intended.

Thanks for reading!

10 answers to this suggestion

Yes yes yes! My thoughts exactly on most of those points.

Just to get your interest piqued: how about the hyperspace jammer huh? If we're jamming hyperdrives, there must be a reason we want to, right? So that means enemies are going to try and flee when things get rough, FTL style. Drat! So now you want to invest in turrets that stop that from happening!

Also, yeah, I'd love to be able to make Gates myself. It's on my list of to-dos when it comes to modding. :P

I know you said you don't want a modded game, but still.

I've been snooping around in the code for this. I found out so far that Gates are only generated when the Sectors are generated. They're never built after the fact. In fact, surprisingly little in this game is, by the NPCs, at least. I'd love to see some improvements on those fronts too.

Keep on clocking in those hours, friend, I'm right there with ya xD

Dedicated Internal Server

Im sure this has been suggested before, and maybe even discussed at length internally. I know that hosting a dedicated server requires an immense amount of resources, dedication, optimization, etc. I have to say though, I think it would be worth it!

I would have no issue at all with paying a monthly subscription fee to participate in persistent Avorion universe (and I know I am not alone in this regard!)

Can we fix some bugs first? i mean my industry sector still have 20+ stuck cargo ships as we are speaking, and one of the public server that i regularly visit had to remake because a buggy sector was crashing the entire server, this game breaking bug is still not fixed after 6 months since its first report.

Talking about a dedicated internal server is laughable at this point, this game is being developed by 2 people, we need to get our priority straight here.....

Talking about a dedicated internal server is laughable at this point, this game is being developed by 2 people, we need to get our priority straight here.....

Which I acknowledged in my original post, and am fully aware of... hence the title of the post "Thoughts, Ideas, and Suggestions"

This whole post was just me brain-storming... I obviously know the developers have a priority task list.

Building your own gates could get quite op quite fast... What should ne the maximum ratio, what should costs be, do You get tax from people using them?

However, I really like the idea of a Hyperspace blocking turret, mabay also some other area weapons like that spiral in space rangers 2, causing very little damage in slow intervalls (anti-fighter-weapon)...

This is written on smartphone, sry for mistakes ;)

Building your own gates could get quite op quite fast... What should ne the maximum ratio, what should costs be, do You get tax from people using them?

However, I really like the idea of a Hyperspace blocking turret, mabay also some other area weapons like that spiral in space rangers 2, causing very little damage in slow intervalls (anti-fighter-weapon)...

This is written on smartphone, sry for mistakes ;)

Building your own gate wouldnt be OP if the distance is capped and money spent scale to distance of gate like the NPC gates. Gate costs barely exists and no way matches the profit you get from mines/tradeposts/millitary outposts etc etc. Gate is mostly for convenience especially if you have a multi-sector production chain going.

Building your own gate wouldnt be OP if the distance is capped and money spent scale to distance of gate like the NPC gates. Gate costs barely exists and no way matches the profit you get from mines/tradeposts/millitary outposts etc etc. Gate is mostly for convenience especially if you have a multi-sector production chain going.

Hm... you're problably right... but would they really make a big difference since using them automatically is not possible?

Well it's nice to set up trade routes and the likes because NPC traders are attracted to use systems linked with Gates for their routes. It would also be plain convenient for fleet travel, for travel if you jump in and don't want to wait 180 s until your Hyperspace Engines are back up (and yes I know you could install 4 -25% Hyperspace Cooldown SMUs on your ship but do you want to outfit your entire fleet with something like that??) and also just... for the cool factor.

As soon as I saw hyperspace gateways, I thought to myself how cool it would be when I finally got the ability to build those. But you can't, and that made me sad.

I'll look into how the Entity Debugger spawns them in and see if I'm able to hack them into the game somehow.

[  ! BUMP !  ]

Please, please, please implement

JUMP BRIDGES

into vanilla Avorion!

What?

When I say "Jump Bridge" I am basically referring to a mechanic

that would allow the player to essentially create star-gates which

would link two sectors of their choosing, allowing the player to quickly

travel between them, just like the ones found in faction controlled sectors.

Why?

Jump bridges would add an immense amount of immersion to Avorion.

I have stations, fleets, and other points of interest at various locations

all over my galaxy, just like many other players. The ability for players

to link their primary areas of operation would give them the feeling of

actually controlling their own faction.

How?

It would be (from my viewpoint) pretty simple to implement. Just make

"Jump Bride" a type of station that players could found (perhaps even

using the same model as the star-gates?). Then, in the stations' settings

menu, have a drop-down list with all the other jump bridge stations that

the player has created, elsewhere in the galaxy. Once linked, they would

function exactly like star-gates or wormholes.

OP!

I wouldn't want these Jump Bridges to be overpowered or broken (like

entering the /teleport command for example). They should come with

restrictions such as a maximum distance, based on the stations hyperspace

reach perhaps? Maybe even restrict it so that once two of these

"Bridge Gates" have been linked, they cannot be un-linked until destroyed?

Just food for thought!

Please consider!

Thanks!