Issues and Crashes with AMD GPUs

koonschi

• Boxelware Team

Hi everyone, Some players have reported crashes with AMD GPUs when entering new or existing galaxies. Although this seems to be a driver issue, we're still investigating if we can implement a bugfix or workaround in Avorion.

What we know so far:

• Affected Windows AMD GPU driver version: 23.12.1
  • Affected cards: RX5000 series, RX6000 series, RX7000 series
  • The crash occurs while running AMD driver code, not while running Avorion program code
  • Issue can disappear with same card when combined with different mainboard and CPU

So far, Downgrading the driver to 23.11.1 has fixed the issue for everyone who has downgraded and reported back to us.

How to downgrade:

• Search the Internet for "AMD {your GPU} previous drivers", for example "AMD RX 7800 XT previous drivers"
  • You should get a search result from the official AMD website
  • Download driver version 23.11.1
  • Install it
  • Reboot
  • Try again if you can start Avorion and enter a single or multiplayer galaxy

What we're not sure about:

• We're not 100% sure if this is just a driver bug, at this point we can not rule out that the Avorion rendering pipeline may contain an issue that has been hidden until this new driver version
  • We're not sure if there is some combination of driver settings that can mitigate the issue even with driver 23.12.1

Please report back if you are experience this specific issue on a different AMD card than RX5000 series, RX6000 series, RX7000 series or if downgrading the driver to version 23.11.1 does not fix the issue for you.

Note: Please keep in mind: The crash does not happen every time. So for example if you think you found a driver option with 23.12.1 that does not lead to a crash, it needs to be tested multiple times.

Please do not post to this thread if you experience a different issue. In that case use the in-game bug reporter.

We are working to resolve this issue as fast as possible.

I also have this issue on a 7900XTX MERC 310.

Happened every time I tried loading into game on 23.12.1.  Downgraded fixed it.

Well working on another issue... I noticed AMD put out a preview driver.  23.40.01.10,  Figured I would test Avorion with it.  And so far its loaded into the Galaxy every time.  Approx 5 times I believe Ive tried.

https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/release-notes/rn-rad-win-2340-01-10-preview

Edit: Well it seems like at 10+ launches it starts to crash again.  Sorry.

Edited by ZeroPoke
Welp needed more test then 5.

• 2 weeks later...