Welcome to the Forum!

The best place to exchange builds and ideas! Vote for the best ideas and suggestions here.

Join the Avorion Discord!

Connect with other passionate players and talk about the latest news.
Discord

DLC Avorion Into the Rift Out Now!

Now available on Steam!
Steam

Theres got to be some kind of respawning system for the wreckage and asteriods

Cyka

Suggestion

I understand people always say is a million sector big but the thing is, actual quality resources are far lower than that. Between empty fields, dead asteriod fields, or enemy ambushes the number gets lowered down so dramatically, that the amount of available resources to players are actually relatively lower. Take hidden mass for example, yestorday i must've searched over hundreds of hidden masses and only found 20 or so valuable stuff with claimable asteriods or wreckages that nets huge yield in ore. This is about 50:1 ratio, then you minus the empty spaces and sectors owned by other factions, this number gets lower and lower as you calculate.

Now, even if this total number of available resources is like 20k in actuality, that is still a lot for singleplayers. But, the problem comes with multiplayer servers where 35 people all consuming this available net of stuff, making early asteriod field non-existent and late game Avorions scarce. Any new player who joining this server will find themselves incredibly resource staved and kept stumpling on already explored, now dead sectors. Now, you can always say there are infinite spawning enemies, but the quality and quantity of their salvageable ores are far lower than big wreckage you can find. With end game ships costing millions of credits and ores to produce, sustainability in obtainable resources may become a necessity for a fair environment in multiplayer.

I understand that respawning system may produce a dramatic toll on the game's stability, but there are already mods currently that allow respawning asteriods. Making a respawning system that runs very slow (Say 10 days per respawn in real life game time) will keep the systems alive without setting the server on fire. I really hope the dev can implant this AT LEAST as an option, to give people a sense of sustainability. This will also somewhat keeps the game refreshing even if you are in an older world.

12 answers to this suggestion

I've seen people leave the server under a minute. ... Probably because there's no iron asteroids in the starting sector. This affects the first impression a lot.

That and the fact there's a whole bunch of loot visible to everyone, collectable only by owner.

Make that loot invisible to everyone else. It could fade in when under 1km away.

I've seen people leave the server under a minute. ... Probably because there's no iron asteroids in the starting sector. This affects the first impression a lot.

That and the fact there's a whole bunch of loot visible to everyone, collectable only by owner.

Make that loot invisible to everyone else. It could fade in when under 1km away.

Yeah that is a major issue. Also it makes multiplayer sometimes unbearable due to whoever comes first holds all the materials, and when player get to the centre they find most avorion rich wreckage empty and desolated.

Respawning would keep the universe alive.

Honestly, I'm getting all the materials I need from NPC wrecks. But getting those 500 iron + components for my first ship was HARD (compared to the rest of the game, at least). I'd suggest players start with an addition of 2 salvage lasers in their inventory.

Honestly, I'm getting all the materials I need from NPC wrecks. But getting those 500 iron + components for my first ship was HARD (compared to the rest of the game, at least). I'd suggest players start with an addition of 2 salvage lasers in their inventory.

Even that wont help, because unlike Asteriods which already has a respawning mod, wreckages do not.

Ship/Station graveyards remain the largest ore income BY FAR with millions of deposits enabling players to complete their end game ship. However, if they are depleted, which can be quickly in a few months at 35 people (propsercraft in my case), new players will have a very hard time to upgrade their ship to the mid or end game, where material costs exponentially increases. Not to mention the maintenance required. AND THIS IS JUST ONE SHIP. In a game where player can theoretically create a sector sized ships, this really isn't acceptable and limits your imagination. if put it into a perspective, an example endgame ship with 4 million shield base that can withstand the bombardment of wormhole guardian constantly (on hard) will cost 4 MILLION AVORION. The cheapest is still 1 million respective material but then you start having sustain issues at boss fights, or limited abilities. Again, this might not seem a big issue in single player, but multiplayer resources can run out rather fast. Can you also imagine in PVP how unfair it would be?

I imagined i could own a fleet reasonability well, but how can i do that when i have to constantly pay for 100k+ material for a fleet when they as much as getting a scratches on them? 

I guess one way to fix this on top of respawning wreckages would be making mining actually worth while. There is absolutely no reason (bar iron) to go for a 100k material mine, and mine it for 30 minutes when you can get millions from wreckages in 10.

Ehm... It's called "tradeoffs". I don't think you're supposed to just sit there, waiting for the boss to die because he's too close to your ship. Funding SHOULD be the problem with huge ships.

I had few problems taking it down in a general purpose ship that costed 2-2.5M and about 200k in materials.

Fortunately, for imagination and sector-sized ships, there's creative. Which plays the same as survival except you have unlimited resources.

For scratches, repair the ships to full health with repair lasers. And even if something is actually destroyed, it's going to cost you waaaay less to repair. Also, mechanics repair our ships over time - without even a click required.

I consider getting millions from wreckages in 10 minutes an exploit. Recycling stations and selling all cargo/materials is WAY too lucrative of a business (considering risks involved).

In multiplayer, you'd better have an alliance funding you if you're flying a 4M Avorion ship. Actually, that thing should have several players flying it anyway.

Now you see the loss Darth Vader had with his superdestroyer and the Death Star. Imagine the crew maintenance costs :P

Mining out one system at a time really shouldn't make these big plans possibe.

Ehm... It's called "tradeoffs". I don't think you're supposed to just sit there, waiting for the boss to die because he's too close to your ship. Funding SHOULD be the problem with huge ships.

I had few problems taking it down in a general purpose ship that costed 2-2.5M and about 200k in materials.

Fortunately, for imagination and sector-sized ships, there's creative. Which plays the same as survival except you have unlimited resources.

For scratches, repair the ships to full health with repair lasers. And even if something is actually destroyed, it's going to cost you waaaay less to repair. Also, mechanics repair our ships over time - without even a click required.

I consider getting millions from wreckages in 10 minutes an exploit. Recycling stations and selling all cargo/materials is WAY too lucrative of a business (considering risks involved).

In multiplayer, you'd better have an alliance funding you if you're flying a 4M Avorion ship. Actually, that thing should have several players flying it anyway.

Now you see the loss Darth Vader had with his superdestroyer and the Death Star. Imagine the crew maintenance costs :P

Mining out one system at a time really shouldn't make these big plans possibe.

The point is you should have enough sustains to maintain an entire fleet. This isn't elite where you just fly one ship, you have the ability to fly AN ENTIRE ARMADA, that includes couple destroyers, carriers and what not at least! You dont quit when you kill the final boss, theres an entire galaxy to conquer. Even flying a single ship is too cost worthy. Why are you limiting player's imagination creative or otherwise? all mine-craft's mega structures for example are all doable because of a slow re-spawning feature, why cant this one? Isn't it also a challenge and achievement to build something thought to be too large for survival?

It is also incredibly unfair for any new players in multiplayer missing out on all that resources without a spawning feature. This could be as simulated as one sector at a time when you enter them again. Stressing that to make the game sustainable and fair.

Is it too much to ask this as AN OPTION rather than stationary? Which space game (ESPECIALLY sandboxes) don't have some sort of re-spawning features? And how is maintenance low if you have 26 ships, each requires thousands of materials and millions of credits just for repair?

Regards to difficulty though, thats another topic entirely, though i wouldn't mind some sort of scaling late game. But difficulty shouldn't be artificial by severely gimping the player. And even currently in multiplayer, those who comes first will have a ridiculously easier time to find the materials necessary to build a ship capable of solo final boss without breaking a sweat compared to new players.

I wonder if there's a way to make sectors of space trigger "spawnable" events.

Check to see how much mass of wreckage/asteroids are in the sector and if there are any present players.

If there are no active players and the mass is below a certain value, respawn a new random event in that sector. Could be wreckage. Could be a new faction getting settled. Could be asteroids. Etc.

Space is big with a lot going on. It's not such a stretch to assume something happened in a sector when nobody was watching.

Also gives you the feeling that the galaxy is constantly moving and changing.

I wonder if there's a way to make sectors of space trigger "spawnable" events.

Check to see how much mass of wreckage/asteroids are in the sector and if there are any present players.

If there are no active players and the mass is below a certain value, respawn a new random event in that sector. Could be wreckage. Could be a new faction getting settled. Could be asteroids. Etc.

Certainly. At least, looking through the documentation, plenty of functions are exposed for modders to spawn in wrecks, ships, asteroid fields, resources and even entire factions. So yes, this should be possible. It's more a question of who wants to do it, I guess. And then that's always a mod and not original game material, if you care about that sort of thing.

Space is big with a lot going on. It's not such a stretch to assume something happened in a sector when nobody was watching.

Also gives you the feeling that the galaxy is constantly moving and changing.

I agree wholeheartedly. If I had much, much more time on my hands, I'd love to tackle a project that involves trying to turn the Avorion galaxy into one that feels more alive, even if it is only secretly fudged behind the DM screen. Suspension of disbelief is the name of the game, but that becomes just that little bit harder once you start to realise what goes on behind the curtains of the stage, and that it's all about you, the player.

Additionally, some more source code exposed for modding could be useful. As it stands, we can already do a lot, but sometimes, just sometimes, there's this liiiitle bit of functionality we can't get at because it's not been exposed to modding.

----

For a more satisfactory / story-focused explanation of how respawning mechanics could work, how's this: Xsotan tore the galaxy to shreds into rifts and wormholes, and sometimes a bunch of "stuff" gets sucked through from another place in the universe. Alternatively, whole fleets of Xsotan could appear from these things and cause more "naturally respawned" wrecks. For asteroids, I've always enjoyed Guardians of the Galaxy 2's concept of "Quantum Asteroid Fields" so I wouldn't have much of a problem seeing Asteroids just pop into existence. :P

But something more clever could be thought of for these, too.

There's only one problem I can think of when it comes to respawning asteroids and wrecks: the Galaxy Map checks off locations you've visited before, and anything you've visited before might be something you've already strip-mined, so you won't think to look there again. How to make it obvious to players that stuff has returned to a Sector without removing information from the Galaxy Map or making it too "gamey"?

As far as I am aware the starting sector already contains a script to respawn resources.

I made a mod for myself that allows me to extend that to any sector.

Or simply just-in-case it adds the script to every sector.

Because the mod just adds the script to all sectors but lets you set it up to work for all, or just for the spawn sector.

Here is a link if you're interested in respawning resource asteroids.

https://github.com/DeathTech154/AvorionMods/tree/master/ResourceRespawn

As far as I am aware the starting sector already contains a script to respawn resources.

I made a mod for myself that allows me to extend that to any sector.

Or simply just-in-case it adds the script to every sector.

Because the mod just adds the script to all sectors but lets you set it up to work for all, or just for the spawn sector.

Here is a link if you're interested in respawning resource asteroids.

https://github.com/DeathTech154/AvorionMods/tree/master/ResourceRespawn

it really isnt enough. Asteriods at max gives 100k a pop while those wreckages give millions easily. End game dreadnaughts need millions of ores to make and hundred-thousands to maintain, ESPECIALLY if the devs want to up the difficulty (which currently you can solo just by one ship lol). Giving respawning system across the board that includes wreckages, asteriods, events and what not ensures that a higher difficulty can be implanted smoothly (because you have the economy to support it) and make multiplayers far more fairer for new players.

I mean it is pretty disheartening to see nearly all the asteriods taken and all wreckages gone at the centre when i started out later than some players, who just hoards everything. In PVP this is just an auto win for any older players because they can just harvest everything and exhaust resources for new players. Good luck farm your end game avorion ship in little mining ships...