Welcome to the Forum!

The best place to exchange builds and ideas! Vote for the best ideas and suggestions here.

Join the Avorion Discord!

Connect with other passionate players and talk about the latest news.
Discord

DLC Avorion Into the Rift Out Now!

Now available on Steam!
Steam

News: Combat Update

koonschi

I dont think that the big issue is the turret usage/slot, but how pd is going to handle with the 3+ dodges/min. If it negotiates that, they should use at least 1 turret slot but if it doesnt, then you should be able to fit 2 or 3/turret slot. Honestly i dont think new weapons need to be added, but that you should be able to have ind. Targ. Weapons with the order "attack fighters" or make it a stat just like ind. Targ. Is, but why make completely new weapons? Its a lot of work i imagine but the difference in what's added isn't that big.

By not requiring a direct hit to deal damage (rockets and cannons do despite having AoE), a flak gun can use up those guaranteed dodges easily and start rapidly rolling the percentage dodges. And since fighters have laughable health they'd pretty much die as soon as they fail a dodge roll.

That is assuming the new PD weapon actually functions like flak and does not have other unique feature regarding dodges, of course.

My ideas for possible point defense and anti-fighter weapons:

Point Defense Cannon:

High rate of fire. Good accuracy. Moderate range. High tracking speed. Basically a more accurate, faster firing chaingun.

Works by using up dodges of individual fighters through sheer number of bullets, eventually destroying them.

Good for destroying fighters directly attacking you as they fly straight at you.

Point Defense Laser:

Instead of a continuous beam, it's a pulse firing laser. Highly accurate. Low damage, but the high accuracy means that unless the fighter dodges, it will eventually get hit. Low range. High tracking speed. Good for destroying individual fighters. Uses energy and if left on too long you'll need to shut it down to cool down.

Flak cannon:

Fires flak that explodes in an AOE in proximity to enemy fighters. Moderate range. Deals very little damage but cannot be dodged. Good for slowly destroying large groups of fighters. Low tracking speed. Overheats.

Anti Fighter Missiles:

Long range. Fast missiles that have a 100% chance to hit fighters, unless the fighter performs a dodge. Good at taking out fighters that are attacking other ships.

All of these weapons would have independent targeting built in, of course. Balance them properly so that you can't just destroy fighters without giving the owning carrier a chance to respond with counterplay.