Upgrades shouldn't be swappable in-combat

Uthael

Suggestion

If I'm exploring (Hyperspace Upgrades, Object detector, scanner range,...) and I'm attacked by pirates, I should panic a little, not just swap out every upgrade for turret slots and kill em all.

Upgrades shouldn't be swappable in-combat.

Or it should take time.

Or it should be risky. Like negate all non-essential power regeneration (power grid needs to go down while you're installing an upgrade).

6 answers to this suggestion

I'd like for the system to stay as it is, but for the swapping to take time. It'd be cool to have "sets" of upgrades that you can quickly toggle between, but takes time to reconfigure. Imo ideally it'd be based on presence of enemy ships to determine if it does take time, because it might be tedious if you're in an empty sector and just mining.

I like the idea of it taking a set amount of time.  Perhaps it should also require some energy and/or reset your battery.  The only reason I suggest this is because it is currently a super-abusable mechanic that trivializes design considerations for multi-purpose ships.  There's currently very little real reason to not make a "does it all" ship.  We need a drawback that doesn't cripple the possibility for one, but which prevents it from being almost always the best choice.  Obviously, when you get to a stage where you have lots of AI ships, this is not true.  However, when playing through the game and experiencing the "arpg" side of things, it feels like a very cheesy exploit to be able to have a kitchen sink ship at all times with no drawbacks.