Welcome to the Forum!

The best place to exchange builds and ideas! Vote for the best ideas and suggestions here.

Join the Avorion Discord!

Connect with other passionate players and talk about the latest news.
Discord

DLC Avorion Into the Rift Out Now!

Now available on Steam!
Steam

Building inventory needs tabs

Kostriktor

Suggestion

hello

in the ship building menu, in the building inventory, for a quality of life improvement i recommend having tabs for the various turret types. or maybe even customizable tabs.

during early game i spend my day changing turrets on my ship between salvagers, miners or chainguns to fight off pirates from my home sector.

8 answers to this suggestion

What's holding you from typing in search field smth like "salvag avori indepen" to sort out all avorion salvage turrets with autotargeting?

The fact that something works doesn't mean that it's best fix for issue. Some games handle inventory management better, some worse.

For example, in building inventory I would ask myself how common are scenarios when player places blocks and turrets at same time, or if editor could have three tabs (blocks, premade parts, turrets) that each of tabs could profit from additional space freed being used for additional filters as buttons, eg. allowing me to filter blocks to only show me avorion pieces via clicking icon symbolising avorion. Likewise I could click "bolter" icon on turrets list instead of typing it into search.

From user experience standpoint, "type to filter" approach is terrible for content discoverability because I need to know what to type into those field, and users may be not enough comfortable with language the game is running in to use those features. I've also found that after typing I've had to do additional scrolling to get better look at what I actually have available. Because Avorion always tries to split space between three sections means that you are always that space short.

What's holding you from typing in search field smth like "salvag avori indepen" to sort out all avorion salvage turrets with autotargeting?

Other point as "pros" for suggestion is that inventory filter doesn't work correctly in other languages.

For example, in russian if you type "salvag avori indepen" it will sort nothing and highlight random stuff in inventory.

Maybe I have a bad memory and I can't remember the phrase "independent targeting" so I just type "auto-aim". Or the game ain't translated yet into the language I'm most familiar with. Same with "recycler turrets" and that red-colored material, last on the list.

While we're at it, sorting turrets by type should put each type in a new row. Would help when researching.