game locks up when deleting many blocks

SkyCore

Repeatable bug:

When attempting to delete a 45k titanium solar panel block composed of .2x.2x.2 voxels the game freezes up.

It would also be real nice if solar panels generated energy on volume rather than surface area, because as is it just a pain to create thousands of tiny cells.

• Boxelware Team

Btw: I don't understand why you're building so many tiny blocks, if you could just scale the block into a huge platform. That way surface area goes up by a lot and you'll have just a single block. This is basically why you can scale blocks in Avorion, to avoid unnecessarily many blocks.

Yes, i am playing the current beta branch. And i checked the logs myself, it didnt log anything after connecting to the server.

There is far more surface area in a bunch of tiny cubes than in several panes. Surface area doesnt scale equally with increased size.  If the game scaled via volume instead, then i wouldnt need to create such tiny blocks. As it is now though, the smaller the cubes, the greater the energy output. To be more exact, every doubling of the cubes edge results in 1/2 the power output in comparison to the same volume occupied by 8 of the original cubes.

1x1x1 panel generates 6 energy each. Adding up to 24 energy per 2x2 panel (or 48 for a 2x2x2 cube).

1x2x2 panel generates 16 energy as a single block though.

2x2x2 panel generates 24 energy.

can confirm that game freezes bc it uses all power to process the result after deleting all those blocks but theres not much you can do other than remaking the whole visuals- and i kinda like it that if you delete your whole ship and got safe mode off you got a few seconds to realize oh crap XD

Is it possible to have the game only calculate the two surfaces of the panel? (Like with you bi-directional thrusters?my) That would discourage this and be a little more realistic and block count efficient, but I have no idea what kind of difficulty that would be for game development.