Welcome to the Forum!

The best place to exchange builds and ideas! Vote for the best ideas and suggestions here.

Join the Avorion Discord!

Connect with other passionate players and talk about the latest news.
Discord

DLC Avorion Into the Rift Out Now!

Now available on Steam!
Steam

How ships break apart when colliding with something

RadiantFlux

Suggestion

Currently ships do not break when colliding.

I have a ship that has two "arms" left and right. My right arm hits an asteroid with high speed and I would expect that arm to break off or partially shatter ..... but instead my whole ship gets a damage calculation applied to its entirety.

Yea ... I just died because of such a situation. I clipped just the fraction of a side at 3000 m/s.

Instead of instand death I would very much have expected and rather hoped for just having my entire "wing" burst off.

I don't know how difficult it is to calculate damage this way, but to have it rather splinter off the parts that would physically be affected instead of killing the entire ship would be a nice thing imho. :)

4 answers to this suggestion

I think collision damage should be drastically reduced, but receive a large multiplier to block damage (basically the reverse of what integrity field generators do).  That would allow for things like clipping off a part of your ship.  Perhaps it isn't done like this for performance reasons though. 

I thought that was how the game worked. If you take off integrity fields, you can clip or break blocks through damage. With integrity fields applying a 10x HP boost to the block, it is possible for one singular block to surpass ships total HP. Without the fields blocks can break.

Exception to this is your first block which represents your command, you lose it, you die. The second is of it is like a spinal block that you have attached everything else to.

I guess I will have to do some crash testing  ;D