Large (5000m) Blocks Cause Computer Freeze

Zhrocknian

I noticed this a couple months ago and just figured out how to reproduce it now. 

If you build large blocks, even flat ones, such as 10,000x0.01x10,000 - the processors go to 100% and the game freezes while in the build screen within a few seconds of placing the block. 

Exactly how to reproduce:

-Enter creative mode

-Jump to empty sector

-Found a new player ship

-Modify the root block to double size, twice

-Select trinium glass from the menu

-modify stats to x:10,000 y: 0.01 z:10,000

-Place glass with flat side flush on root block

-Wait a few seconds and watch as your processors rev up and then the computer freezes.

Computer is unresponsive, end program and security functions are unable to regain computer control.

I am using a NVidia 1050 with 8 core I7 processors, this is/was the very best shelf stock computer. 

Smaller block sizes freeze computer as well, on my laptop I tested 5000x5000x0.01.  First time this occurred, it was stone blocks, so it doesn't seem to be just glass. 

~Zhrocknian, 800 hours in game.

I don't know if this would technically count as a bug. An Avorion unit is equal to 10m, so a 5000 unit block is 5km (that's 3.1 miles in freedom units) aka that block is gigantic. You're probably reaching the limits of the rendering engine or the game's physics engine or both. Not sure how much that block costs but it's unlikely that most people would be able to afford a ship with blocks that large in non-creative mode.

I have made a scale model of an Executor Class starship which is 19km long (crew costs = 10mil/hr) although it is comprised of many blocks end-to-end. That ship does some wonky things with the game engine regarding rendering in build mode, ship previews, and even flying around it. Depending on the render distance setting the entire ship may not appear when flying around one end.

If it's crashing the game though the devs may want to put in a hard limit on maximum dimensions for a single block. I've never had crashing/resource issues with the Executor Class so it's probably a single-block issue in your case, but I'm running a pretty powerful machine so nothing is certain.

I'll try to reproduce and report back.