Welcome to the Forum!

The best place to exchange builds and ideas! Vote for the best ideas and suggestions here.

Join the Avorion Discord!

Connect with other passionate players and talk about the latest news.
Discord

DLC Avorion Into the Rift Out Now!

Now available on Steam!
Steam

[MOD][BiB-T] Better Threats B18C

Fenrir

This mod aims to add more PvE Threats.

Currently the Xostan & Pirate Sector attacks are changed.

When an attack (Xostan/Pirate) is spawned it gets now an threat level.

This threatlevel is between 1 to 100.

This level is shown in the sector message for the Attack. (i.E. Scanner show a threatlevel of 37)

So what does it mean?

Every attack has now two modifiers: The attack type and the attack size.

I created 10 type of attacks for Xostan and pirate.

This includes the pirate mothership currently not used in the base game.

The attack size can increase up to 10 (this scales size and weapons).

Resulting in ~ 3 times the size and ~5 times more firepower on 10.

Also both now scale with the number of players in the sector.

This means the pirate Mothership will reach the power of faction battleships around a size factor of 5.

!If you see a Pirat or Xostan with Ludicrous Omnicron values: Keep Calm they just have burst Weapons!

While we are at Factions: The faction will sometimes send defense forces against the invading pirates.

Pirates? Not Xostan?

Yes since the Xostan are sneaky guys they will not trigger the alarm of the faction until they damage a station.

Planned Features:

- Optimizing Faction Battles (i.E. removing Fighters for Performance)

- Better Scaling of Faction War ships

- Better Artefakt Bosses (For a better Xostan Guardian look here: https://www.avorion.net/forum/index.php/topic,3614.0.html)

- Better Events (Transporter Raider Attack, Pirate Ambush etc.)

- Performance optimization for Xostan Ship spawning (Some ship plans take quite some time on threat level 100)

Patchnotes:

1.1 Fixed Xostan Scaling - 500 000 Omicron is dangerous

V18 Updated for Beta 18 (+Increased Attack Event Timers, New Ship Typs, Xenon Mothership and deactivated NPC Torpedos)

V18C Better Pirate Response Fleets

IMPORTANT: This is a Testrelease. I have jet to test it completly.

If you want torpedos:

data\scripts\lib\shiputility.lua

Line:  385  change 
torpedofactor = 0 
to
torpedofactor = torpedofactor or 0

BiggerIsBetter_EnemiesV18C.zip

Really great work you've done here!

Just a little help here though... I love the variety and increased difficulty this adds to the game, but, it's just a bit much for me. A pirate attack at a threat level of 50 something absolutely devastated me and the faction whose sector I was in. The defense force disintegrated before I was even able to engage the pirates.

How easy would it be for me to scale back the difficulty of the mod? I was thinking something like favoring towards the lower end of the threat level spectrum, making the higher difficulty attacks super rare.

Do you think you could assist in this?

Hello Phyne,

it would be good to now in which area this was. (The pirates scale to the center)

Also the defence fleets will be also be updated with the next Version.

If you want to scale them down: In the Pirateattack (\data\scripts\events\Pirateattack.lua) file is a variable named "rndScaleFactor".

There is a factor calculation like this:

local rndScaleFactor = 1 + (rndScale / 5)

change it to:

local rndScaleFactor = 1 + (rndScale / 10)

This will scale them down without cutting out the new raid options.

The next update will increase the rarity of attacks and the scaling so it will be not so common to get a threat level 70+ relitation fleet.

This was basically in the starting square. Maybe I'm not as hardcore a player as other people here, but I was getting smashed by these fleets for quite awhile before I made a ship capable of defending myself.

I did eventually go digging around in pirateattack.lua myself and made some simple changes. I understand a lot of this is probably my preference and there's nothing necessarily wrong with these things:

I turned off the two hardest pirate attacks, the ones with the mothership bosses, completely (at least until I get closer to the center and would expect such attacks). Regardless of how beefy I made myself, those things along with the multitude of pirates/raiders were death sentences. The fact that they spawned every 1 in 5 attacks was a little much for me.

I removed about 1-3 generated ships from each attack type. I essentially wanted the first couple threat levels being no harder than the vanilla attacks, so I could at least start the game in relative peace.

I know this is a vanilla number, but I increased the updatetime by a hefty amount so I wouldn't get attacked so often. I'm not sure why pirates are so interested in shitty little iron ships. I think it could be cool to scale that number as you get closer to the center of the galaxy.

Lastly, I modified how the threatlvl was calculated. This I DO believe is something that is flawed. As you have it now, it simply multiplies rndscale by attacktype, meaning an attacktype of 1 with a rndscale of 10 is equivalent to an attacktype of 10 with a rndscale of 1. I think the pirate type contributes WAY more to how tough that pirate is instead of their scaling. Plus, there are a ton more ships at higher attack types. I changed the threatlvl to be 3 * rndscale + 7 * attacktype.

Anyway, I look forward to what you add in future versions.

The Threatlevel is not used in scaling it is only used for the message for the player for a rough guess how hard the attack is.

And actually it was planned that the pirates crush players in the beginning with the bigger fleets. You are in that moment a ship with some hundred iron against a fleet of pirates that want to plunder big freighters or stations.

• 4 weeks later...

The Threatlevel is not used in scaling it is only used for the message for the player for a rough guess how hard the attack is.

And actually it was planned that the pirates crush players in the beginning with the bigger fleets. You are in that moment a ship with some hundred iron against a fleet of pirates that want to plunder big freighters or stations.

necroing because it still works, to a point.

can't even do anything because level 10 waves keep spawning "randomly" and again you don't start with a lot of iron, nor do you start with even 2 weapons. 1 chain gun is not going to take down a fleet, nor will it take down 9,8,7,6,5,4 or even a level 3 wave. you might be lucky to get a level 2 wave, but your ship will be beyond repair.

i edited the file so that the levels scale based on the distance from the center, also reverted the defenders spawn back to what it use to be, this way they get CRUSHED but still help in a fight.

only problem is now i will have to make a new game, because all the good starting zones are filled with nothing but level 10 fleets of pirates trying to get iron? i mean that doesn't make any sense xD.

i like this mod, it makes pirate attacks more engaging, just needs some balancing tweaks so you can get somewhere in a reasonable amount of time.

the aliens are scaled nicely, i don't know why the pirates are not scaled also in the same way. oh well it was a easy fix thanks for your hard work on the mod.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Awesome mod. Exactly what the combat needs...even MORE difficult than this IMHO but this helps a lot. The game was getting a little boring with combat and raiding and turret factories being so unbalanced atm.

BTW 2 small typos to report:

pirateattack.lua

line 93

-and-

alienattack.lua

line 70

both show notifications that are a slightly grammatically incorrect and also have a ")" after the threat level where there is no "(" to accompany it. and "Scanner" should read "Scanners" plural.

Hope that helps. Thanks again bud. :)

"Scanner show a threat level of : %i.)"  should read  "Scanners show a threat level of %i."

(I also removed the colon too for personal preference)

Have played around with it for a bit and I have to say, I don't really like the "tuning" for the early game. If you setup in an sector without providing your own defenses, you simply cause the sector to die. I just started a new game to confirm it and currently have 9 pirate ships and 5 xotan killing a home sector which as of now only has freighters and loaders remaining. All the combat ships got destroyed.

To anyone who may be encountering issues with this mod;

We had some problems causing the wormhole alien to not properly get reinforcements, and had some errors in the console, which I fixed.

Additionally, I made it so that xsotan and pirates do not persist after the player who triggered them leaves the system; this makes it less likely for entire factions to get obliterated, which is rather annoying for servers. (this has been done by adding this line for both the xostan and pirate scripts:

+        ship:addScript("deleteonplayersleft.lua")

as per this https://github.com/Joeppie/AvorionModFixes/commit/be7f5bad2b737e9ad9d148f292c86760836cf2be#diff-3594e92ee7276218e739b1dd51ef149c?w=0 commit.

The fixes can be found here, the easiest way to get them into your game is to donwload a zip of the entire repo and write the content of the folder below to the scripts folder in Avorion.

https://github.com/Joeppie/AvorionModFixes/tree/master/BetterThreats_v1.1/scripts

It is probably recommended that the author include these in an updated version of the mod, with non-persitent Xsotan/Pirates probably being optional :)

I love this mod but it is causing chaos and the entire pirate fleet has just decimated an entire sector even with your bigger stations mod they have ripped through the NPC because they haven't been buffed against them. I think your going to have to change all of the NPCs for this mod

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I was able to get this mod working again to spice up my game and thought I'd share with you all. It works with the current stable branch version 16.6. Love the mod Fenrir!

Is this still working? I just switched to the beta branch and I don't want to install over the updated files if this is going to break some of the games new functionality.

• 3 weeks later...