DockBuilder (A culmination of multiple modders work)

Dirtyredz

DockBuilder

This mod was originally developed by: Theoman02 http://www.avorion.net/forum/index.php/topic,781.0.html

Dirtyredz (myself), Hammelpilaw, and Laserzwei all have worked to keep this mod alive and working.

This mod will allow you to build every station available in the game when founding a station.

Today I bring you the culmination  of all that work in a single mod with these features and bug fixes:

--Added Resourcetrader (Hammelpilaw)

--Added Fighterfactory (Hammelpilaw)

--Added Sorted lists (Hammelpilaw)

--Fixed "The production line you chose doesn't exist" Error (Laserzwei, Dirtyredz)

--Added Alliance support (Dirtyredz)

--Ported mod to mods directory (Dirtyredz)

Installation

Step 1:

Copy and paste the contents of the zip file into your avorion directory

There should now be a mods/ directory next to the data/ directory

Step 2:

Navigate to folder

data/scripts/entity/stationfounder.lua

Open the file and place this line at the very bottom of the file

if not pcall(require, 'mods.DockBuilder.scripts.entity.stationfounder') then print('Mod: DockBuilder, failed to extend stationfounder.lua!') end

Thats it your done. start up your game or server and enjoy being able to build your own empire with every station available to you.

Download

DockBuilder v1.0.0

Github

This project is on a public repo here:

https://github.com/dirtyredz/DockBuilder

I encourage anyone wanting to further advance thise project to please submit a pull request. Thxs.

Notes

Again I want to make it explicitly clear that this is not my own work, but a culmination  of work from many modders.

DockBuilder_v1.0.0.zip

Awesome, I've been navigating these mods forums for a couple of days now, and it's nice to see that work which has been on-going on this topic for months is culminating into one collaborative effort. That gives me a good feeling about the community-minded spirit of modders for this game. Good stuff!

Looking forward to just click a button and install your plugins via DSM  ;)

Till then, I'll install this by hand.  I've got 3 or 4 stations, and I just can't get them to earn their keep right now (cost of people running station is more than I can make manually moving generated materials around).  Hopefully this will help me making more valuable stuff to sell. 

Speaking of, does this (or any other mod) allow me to create automated "trade" ships?

Looking forward to just click a button and install your plugins via DSM  ;)

Im looking forward to it aswell!!

Speaking of, does this (or any other mod) allow me to create automated "trade" ships?

Only two things come to mind, The ComplexStations mod, and another mod thats suppose to transport cargo between stations (cant think of another name atm)

Oh I seeeee... I've looked at that before. So one-click install plug-ins was mostly because it's your plug-ins, and your Dirty Manager (heh), so you've made it all super-hyper-compatible with each other. Neat-o.

I was slightly getting worried that my efforts at a mod manager were going to waste and someone was already close to releasing one. :o

(Yes, that's going along quite fine, actually, thanks for asking.)

yeah the project still has a long way to go, but im working on it. Trying to get more features into it.

About your mod loader tbh im not that excited about it, Could you give me some kind of preview?

Alot of the modders for avorion talk here on my discord: https://discord.gg/fbW2kB

We have put alot of work into molding the modding community here to a set of standards, and even still its still evolving.

We all would be curious to learn more and help mold the project.

About your mod loader tbh im not that excited about it, Could you give me some kind of preview?
Not right now, as I'm still very much building the framework of the file system handling. That is to say, preliminary tests in isolated test folders seem to be working nicely, where it can now detect and build a file tree and track it internally to try and see if there are differences to a target folder (i.e. the Avorion installation folder), but that's all it can do right now. Next steps will be to actually create a snapshot of the Avorion installation folder as it is right now, then apply a patch to it according to a local mods folder through symlinking, so you'll have a clean separation between the installation directory and where you, the end user, keep all your mods. Kind of like a dedicated mods folder that a lot of games have built-in, but without the worry that future updates of the game (as it is now) will replace, remove or modify your own mods folder.

It's based at its core on bit's AVCML script. In fact, the symlinking and snapshot code is straight-up... borrowed... from AVCML and has been extended to a degree to more aptly fit my project and be more flexible than just being able to handle the /data/scripts folder like AVCML is.

As for your comments on your excitement level and the molding thing, I'm not entirely sure I follow what you mean. Do you mean to say that I'm a new user and I'm trampling into the unknown territory of an established community, who've carefully set up an ecosystem that I'm throwing off balance with my different or non-aligned vision?

If so, I get that. I don't mean to step on anyone's toes. I'm just working on a tool to hugely simplify my own life because I've got a list of say 20 mods in a directory sitting there, waiting to be installed, and I don't want to go through the rigamarole of carefully comparing each one to each other, and the system files in order to install them all without destroying changes made by another... and then have to do that again, and again, and again each time the game is patched. So my tool is aimed at making my own life easier - and I hope it will others', too.

I'm simply excited about a pet project I just started up and am putting a lot of time into, and which is actually shaping up quite nicely so far. I like to share stuff I make and get excited to show things I'm working on. I'm sorry if that's not how everyone here prefers it... I am new and maybe I should sit back and get more involved first before barging in with my own ideas and stories... but that's not the kind of person I am. I like to talk, I like to get excited. And right now I'm in a buzz about this super new amazing game I just found and am loving to absolute bits and want to get involved in in any way possible.

I digress. Sorry, I'm also quite a rambler. ^-^'

We all would be curious to learn more and help mold the project.
Sounds interesting, I'll check it out!

• 2 months later...

It looks like the functionality added by this mod is now in the base game, correct? Either that, or another mod I have installed is also adding the previously missing stations (like Shipyard, Equipment Dock, etc.).

While I have this mod installed, the only item in the list when clicking "Found Station" is the Crystal Farm, and clicking Transform does nothing.

If I comment out the pcall in stationfounder.lua, effectively deactivating this mod, then all the Stations appear on the UI (and also the icons have changed).

My only question is: could this be because of another mod I have installed, or has this functionality been added to the base game? Is this mod broken?

It looks like the functionality added by this mod is now in the base game, correct? Either that, or another mod I have installed is also adding the previously missing stations (like Shipyard, Equipment Dock, etc.).

While I have this mod installed, the only item in the list when clicking "Found Station" is the Crystal Farm, and clicking Transform does nothing.

If I comment out the pcall in stationfounder.lua, effectively deactivating this mod, then all the Stations appear on the UI (and also the icons have changed).

My only question is: could this be because of another mod I have installed, or has this functionality been added to the base game? Is this mod broken?

This mod was written for 0.14 and is not updated for 0.15. You observed correct that stations like Shipyards/Equip.-Docks are now part of vanilla gameplay!

However, there is still a bug, when selecting factories that produce (partially) the same Good (Gas Collectors). It can sometimes tell you that the selected production does not exist even though, it should have. This mod included (past, because its not updated) a fix for it - Vanilla does not!

Ah, cool! You wouldn't happen to know how hard it would be to make that bugfix compatible with 0.15? Sounds like a good one to have. (Or maybe we should just wait until the bugfix gets integrated into the core code, if someone's already done some of the work for the devs to do so. :P )

Ah, cool! You wouldn't happen to know how hard it would be to make that bugfix compatible with 0.15? Sounds like a good one to have. (Or maybe we should just wait until the bugfix gets integrated into the core code, if someone's already done some of the work for the devs to do so. :P )

The Dev usually refuses to utilize code provided by the community. Ever wondered why a small box for naming your Mine pops up, when you try to convert an asteroid? It's Dev's version of circumventing a bugfix. The thing is: 1) The window can be clicked away. 2) 1 Line of code would fix the underlaying bug, we (Me & Dirtyredz) told him, but instead of a fix we got that little pop-up.

Back to the Gas-Collector:

I remember that the fix included here took an unexpected long time to create. The (vanilla-)code was more complicated than is required. In itself th fix wasn't much code though (<10 lines).

Edit:

Added an updated version for 0.15, including

1) The fix for "The production line you chose doesn't exist.", when selecting a Gas Collector

2) All Factories are now orderd by their name

stationfounder.zip

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...