Are pirates supposed to be so much stronger than xsotan or is this bugged?

Tyrosun

Hello all. I recently started a new veteran game and I'm finding that pirates I encounter, even in the starting system, have fire power in the range of 100-200 omicron while the xsotan I encounter have fire power in the range of 10-30 omicron. Is there supposed to be such a disparity? It's been a while since I last played this game and I don't remember the pirates being so difficult to deal with. If three of them are shooting me they can pretty much blast me down in 3 seconds. This means if they warp on top of me with my pants down (in the middle of modifying my ship in build mode for example) I am simply dead.  Is anyone else having similar experiences?

I've noticed pirates are stronger than Xotan. Not sure if it was always this way.

My most recent playthrough started a few weeks ago and it was a struggle to survive the first few days.

Just take the following precautions:

- When arriving in a sector, select a new one so you have an escape route ready

- Turn up your volume so you can hear warnings/ship arrival messages

- If you're not ready to fight just hop sectors

- Build in sectors of friendly factions who will help defend you

This means if they warp on top of me with my pants down (in the middle of modifying my ship in build mode for example) I am simply dead.
Hahaha this happens far too often to me.

"Aight, guys, let's see what we can find in this rotten hellhole of a Se-- Oh LOOKIE HERE it's an unsuspecting nancy who took down all of their weapons for us. C'MON, BOYS, WE'RE EATING FANCY STEAK TONIGHT! YEEHAAHAHAAA"

Also the selecting a Sector preemptively idea is a good hint. And I agree, always have a posse with you that can help you defend yourself, be it allied ships in a friendly Sector, or your own gang of blood-thirsty guard ships that you've staffed and cared for since they were mere single-block infants in the Construction Yard.