[MOD][WIP] Custom Pirate Factions using Workship ships

ralle030583

i currently working on a mod witch use workshop ships for a faction,

its planned to be serverside only, so no dialog options etc are planned for new factions, cause i want it to work without havent clients to download anything

Already Working:

- spawning attack waves like xsotans using saved workshop ships

- ships got turrets generated according to sector difficulty

- big waves only in center

- altering material of ships according to the sector difficuty for balancing

Currently working on:

Priority 1 list

Comeing Features Priority 1:

- adding bounty payout at pirates death

- generating own sectors as home for the faction

Comeing Features Priority 2:

- mod settings to created different factions and assign blueprint files to that faction

Comeing Features Priority 3:

- changing it that factions can be configuired to be pirates or a regular faction

- own systems, etc.

Credits:

Currently i'm using 4 workshop ships from Khillmarr (with permission) for a Test Faction (Khillmarr Pirates) -

http://steamcommunity.com/id/Khillmarr/myworkshopfiles/?appid=445220

Install Instructions:

* install instructions depracated cause of new sturcuture of the mod, will be updated with release of new version*

A small Preview:

1105BD0168EE84BE7BD1E74FDA2DAEDEB9734F9C

After fixing material fitting to sector, same ship as before but now orginite/avorion cause its near the center of the galaxy

nWNqTQW.jpg

I'm currently currently searching Ship Builders who have a collection of similar looking ships for this different ship tiers

Tier 1 Frigate

Tier 2 Cruiser

Tier 3 Destroyer

Tier 4 Dreadnaught

Tier 5 Battleship

X a Shipyard (for own systems, optional)

Please consider that big ship with to many blocks & details cause a small lag when spawned or destroyed.

first alpha version, see install instructions in 2nd post

Version 0.0.2 First Features:

- Spawns Khillmarr Faction attack waves (5 different ship blueprints)

- material and weapons are balanced depending on the sector distance to center, avorion only inside center ring

Version 0.0.3

- small Bugfix and added forgotten khillmarrattack.lua tothe zip

Downloadlink v0.0.3:

*downloadlink removed, dont use this version*

Mmm, very interesting! I'll be keeping close tabs on this.

Having Workshop items show up in the game randomly sounds fantastic - some people create truly beautiful stuff (the Khillmarr craft don't look half shabby, either, give him my regards!).

A question: do the ships all spawn at random from the plans provided? Or are they "ordered" in some way i.e. that the 5 Khillmarr craft only spawn in their own team, and if I were to add, say, my own Workshop items to the mix, that they'd all spawn together as well? Or would all the workshop items just spawn in randomly intermingled with each other?

currently the ships spawned are different waves with fix composition of ships

im currently tiding up the code and trying to make config like this:

factions

[customFactionID][name][descr]

blueprints

[customBlueprintID][blueprint][faction]

waves

[faction][wavesize][shipcomposition][sektorFrom][sektorTo][probability]

would suggest that you wait until i done with a config file so its easier to add own blueprints, factions

Sweet! That sounds like an great way to let users define their own groups of ships! :D

(Although I was also sort of enjoying the idea of rag-tag teams of randomly assembled Pirate craft - they are Pirates, of course, so their ships needn't be all from the same... erhem... patrons)

yeah some randomness seems like a good idea

think will make that you could then just make a faction "Pirates" and add all ships to it.. think will make the definition of waves like

wave A: 3 frigs

wave B: 2 frigs 1 cruiser

etc...

and at the blueprint definition blueprints you defince the classes of the blueprints and he picks random frigs, cruise from that faction for the spawns

i'm currently working on the config and changing the mod to Dirtyredz mod template and directory structure

think will release the next version next weekend cause im a bit busy IRL atm

Ahhhh cool, so it's an inner-outer-radius thing to define a circle of Sectors around the Galactic Centre within which the events you also define in config can be encountered? So you can define mega-hard encounters closer to the Centre, but not in the outer rings?

Is there a config option to give players an option to tweak the percentage chance an event will occur that you can expose in this mod? It would be super cool to define a mega-hard event that shows up every so often in the Centre, but almost never in the outer reaches of the arms - however, there is a certain chance it still happens in the outer arms and so you could have a crazy scary attack once in a while even when far away. I'd definitely build an event like that for my own Galaxies. ;D

This looks like it will be a really fun mod! Having custom pirate ships is one of the features I really want in the game, plus those ships can provide a better challenge than the randomly generated one. Plus how cool would it be to fight through waves of TIE fighters or Cylon raiders? :D

• 1 month later...

edit: 

I guess I just had to take out the .lua extension.  Not sure what else is up with it

local success, returned = pcall(require, "mods/CustomFactions/scripts/player/eventscheduler")

old:

Where do you put the mods folder? 

local success, returned = pcall(require, "mods/CustomFactions/scripts/player/eventscheduler.lua")

Can't seem to figure out where it is looking

I'm looking forward to this mod, be aware that the previous mods that affected sector generation generated their sectors through normal NPC sectors, I think it'd be best for these sectors to generate only in empty sectors.

Gives a nice play element too as you never know when you might run into one when travelling through empty sectors.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...