Welcome to the Forum!

The best place to exchange builds and ideas! Vote for the best ideas and suggestions here.

Join the Avorion Discord!

Connect with other passionate players and talk about the latest news.
Discord

DLC Avorion Into the Rift Out Now!

Now available on Steam!
Steam

[MOD][BiB-A] Bigger Asteroids V18

Fenrir

I really didn't like that most Asteroids hat around 10 000.

Good Mining Lasers just meant that you would fly more around.

Building a Mining fleet was nearly meaningless since they mined the sector faster then you could build them...

Or you could just buy / salvage more Ressource.

Also it's strange that the asteroids in Avorion just feel small. More like Debris of the real asteroids...

So i started modding.

The Asteroids... Well.. Pictures tell more then thousands of words:

Unbenannt.png

Yes the big Asteroid has 9 Million Iron.

The bigger size of the Asteroids may cause some Stations/Mines to teleport to a save location. I can't change this but it is a one time thing and so far i have seen rare.

I highly recommend to play without collisions with this mod. This asteroids will not budge when you ram them. You will be the one to be obliterated...

Changelog:

1.0 Initial Release

1.1 Added Defense Forces to Pirate Attack

1.2 Added another 5 sizes to pirate attacks. (Including the previously unused pirate mother ship)

1.3 Added Servermessages for Pirate attacks & defense forces

1.3.1 Split the mod for enemies and Asteroids

1.4.0 Rebalanced for bigger Ships (More space between Asteroids) & resized claimable asteroids (they where smaller then pebble :D)

1.5.0 (Made by Rotors) Hotfix for Gate Spawn

V18 Updated to B18 and included changes from douglasg14b

V18B Fixed a Bug that prevent Station Spawning (wuups...)

BiggerIsBetter_AsteroidsV18B.zip

These pictures look crazy, imo you should definitly reduce the amount of unmined asteroids. How to move there with a big ship?

However the part with stronger xsotan is really interesting. Maybe combine it with spawning npc defenders (when there is a faction in this sector)? Otherwise it could kill factions over time.

I did increase the space where asteroids are spawned. The Picture is from a "dense asteroid field"

I'm currently playtesting it but it takes time to get to really big ships.

Regarding the Xostan: That's the point. The Xostan should be able to wipe out an sector with an invasion fleet.

Thats why it is an invasion fleet.

This way you require some defence forces for your own sectors.

But the sector fleet also sounds nice.

I will look into it, that way i can spawn different responses etc.

Mhh... The possibilities are nice.

Thanks for the idea.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

i appreciate this mod quite a bit.

butt here is an issue with it currently, claimable asteroids are pretty small compared to the larger asteroids. without a system to highlight them, they're pretty hard to spot.  which wasnt really an issue in vanilla.

update, as of 15.1 this prevents all wormholes and warp gates from spawning. (tested same seed using only a single mod at a time to find issue. this caused it)

i appreciate this mod quite a bit.

butt here is an issue with it currently, claimable asteroids are pretty small compared to the larger asteroids. without a system to highlight them, they're pretty hard to spot.  which wasnt really an issue in vanilla.

update, as of 15.1 this prevents all wormholes and warp gates from spawning. (tested same seed using only a single mod at a time to find issue. this caused it)

not sure if the op is still around but i can help you.

you can easily change the size of the claimable asteroids if you find your way to SectorGenerator. lua

make a backup of SectorGenerator somewhere(i make a folder on my desktop) this way if something goes wrong you can revert back easily. this also (i don't think) affects already spawned asteroids so you will have to go and find another one to see it in action.

(i'm using notepad++) search for "claim" which should bring you to line 243 which is the function that generates the claimable asteroid.

line 252 desc:setPlan(PlanGenerator.makeBigAsteroidPlan(100, 0, Material(0)))

function SectorGenerator:createClaimableAsteroid(position)
    local desc = AsteroidDescriptor()
    desc:removeComponent(ComponentType.MineableMaterial)
    desc:addComponents(
       ComponentType.Owner,
       ComponentType.FactionNotifier
       )

desc.position = position or self:getPositionInSector()
    desc:setPlan(PlanGenerator.makeBigAsteroidPlan(100, 0, Material(0))) -- <-------- this line, i made this comment to show you where.
    desc:addScript("claim.lua")

return Sector():createEntity(desc)
end

change that 100 (first argument) to 500. in vanilla the claimable asteroids are 4 times bigger then the biggest asteroid. this mod sets the max asteroid size to 125 instead of 25, 125 * 4 = 500. now 500 is HUGE so maybe make it like 200-300 xD

function SectorGenerator:createClaimableAsteroid(position)
    local desc = AsteroidDescriptor()
    desc:removeComponent(ComponentType.MineableMaterial)
    desc:addComponents(
       ComponentType.Owner,
       ComponentType.FactionNotifier
       )

desc.position = position or self:getPositionInSector()
    desc:setPlan(PlanGenerator.makeBigAsteroidPlan(500, 0, Material(0))) -- <-------- this line, i made this comment to show you where.
    desc:addScript("claim.lua")

return Sector():createEntity(desc)
end

onto the next part of your comment. this mod works fine on the "main" branch. aka version 14.5, using the opt-in betas is not advised because things get changed quite often in that branch. at least if your trying to use mods. i can't really help much with that problem because i don't have the opt-in beta installed, thus i don't know what code changed. parts of the script can just stop working if something is trying to call a function that no longer exists or if the number of arguments change.

you can try to compare a fresh 15.1 SectorGenerator with the one provided by this mod and see if you can spot what is missing. the easier thing to do would be to post back your log file after you enter a sector you know should have gates..this is easy to do, just create a new galaxy, the start sector always has gates.

do these steps, launch Avorion, create new galaxy. leave current game, close game. go to the folder located in computer/local disk:C/users/username/appdata/roaming/Avorion there should be a clientlog using the data modified current data and pretty close to current time to find the newest one created. it's normally the bottom most one.

if you can't see appdata, then go search google for how to do that.

just so you know, asteroids can already respawn in some sectors (depends on if the sector has the respawnasteroids script or not which is part of the game itself, not a mod.)

thanks, yeah i compared the files and changed it myself while i wasted for an updated one.

but i wasnt sure which line was for the claimable ones exactly, thanks ill make a slight change on my edit to increase their size just a tiny bit.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey, I am having an issue/conflict with your amazing mod. it seems while it is active my warp gates do not spawn. any idea as to why, or any quick fix? thank you!

Rotor from the previous page made a hotfix for that issue. download that.

Sweet thank you!

• 3 weeks later...

I made a few changes to this mod if you want to integrate any. Instead of modifying the types of fields directly, I added a few variables to control the size of asteroids, as well as the resource probability. I feel like this makes for a cleaner asteroid field, and makes it somewhat configurable by the player.

You can now set resource asteroids to be a certain multiplier bigger, and non-resource ones to be a different multiplier.

SectorGenerator.zip

• 6 months later...

Hey I was just curious if there is any way to change the amount of resources in an asteroid without changing the size. Been looking at the code but honestly I don't  know the first thing about code and I am just getting lost.  I see how the multiplier works for the size of the asteroid but I can't seem to figure out how it determines how much resources are in the asteroids in the first place to just multiply that.