Welcome to the Forum!

The best place to exchange builds and ideas! Vote for the best ideas and suggestions here.

Join the Avorion Discord!

Connect with other passionate players and talk about the latest news.
Discord

DLC Avorion Into the Rift Out Now!

Now available on Steam!
Steam

Hyperspace Jammers

Ethentianknight

I got out of a nasty hyper space jam by waiting for pirates to attack the jammer! took a long time but they blew the jammer up! and I jumped!

I wonder if the pirates are in the same 'jam'...and they have to attack the jammer to get out too!? would be cool if the pirates had the same problem as the peace loving traders.

Koonschi, to be sure, are you stating that all jammers will be removed from the game?

While i found them annoying, they are a part of the game that i enjoy, making things slightly more challenging when you're trying to befriend someone.

Perhaps an upgrade could be created for ignoring blockers, or they only affect you at certain distances.

• Boxelware Team
Koonschi, to be sure, are you stating that all jammers will be removed from the game?

Yes.

While i found them annoying, they are a part of the game that i enjoy, making things slightly more challenging when you're trying to befriend someone.

I don't understand?

Perhaps an upgrade could be created for ignoring blockers, or they only affect you at certain distances.

The hyperspace jamming will be removed, but there will be other behaviour to keep it challenging. We want to give a little more freedom, and blocking hyperspace is actually not what we're after.

I don't understand?

When you're off to befriend a belligerent faction and you're locked in with them, so you have to use pirates, asteroids, and aliens to take them out without losing reputation.

In any case, it's probably better removed as blockers were one of the biggest complaints I got from my friends.

I agree on taking them out...I can see many rage quits on steam if they were left in.

I could understand them in a boss level..but not in a ordinary sector.

In a boss level? can you imagine, your travelling with a unarmed, unarmoured ship and suddenly a boss spawns.  and you can't get away from it. that would be good reason to rage quit lol

Again, I'd recommend instead of completely removing it, just change the way it behaves. Instead of making it system-wide hyperspace inhibitor make it a certain area around the ship that has the inhibitor can influence. Let's say you have a small pirate ship, you choose to install a weak hyperspace inhibitor: you get let's say 100 meters area of effect and your weak inhibitor can increases the enemy's hyperspace charge-up by 2 minutes. Now, the inhibitor itself can also last stay turned on for only 2 minutes AND it draws energy so you can't keep it running forever. You have to choose the right time to enable it. Enabling it next to NPCs of a foreign NPC faction will decrease your rep with them because they don't like you inhibiting their hyperspace capabilities.

• Boxelware Team

The jammers are problematic because

1) it creates a situation where a player has no choice except for fighting or waiting and hoping that pirates might spawn that might destroy the jammer

2) it creates hopes that hyperspace jammers could be built by players and used on other players or AI.

Considering point 1: While some people might like the challenge that is created by something like that, others might get frustrated because they can't play the way they want. It forces players into combat or very stretched-out waiting for other NPC ships that might take care of the jammer. Neither of these situations is fun if you just want to get on and maybe have a delivery to make.

Considering point 2: The jammers most likely won't be available for players, for a variety of reasons. Firstly, blocking players can be extremely annoying in a multiplayer situation. I don't think I have to elaborate a lot more on that, just imagine joining a new server and being blocked and there's nothing you can do. Mediocre fun for one player and very frustrating for the other. This is unhealthy multiplayer gameplay and not what we're after.

Apart from that, blocking AI is tricky, because some AI ships are meant to be able to hyperspace-jump or despawn (which plays the same animation). Blocking AI ships would imply that they'd never be able to despawn. While this would be cool in several situations and is theoretically possible, it's a very large chunk of work since multiple AI behaviours and missions would have to be adjusted, and right now we have other priorities. In addition, it would be strange if you could only use them on AI.

It's not completely off the table, but the way that it's solved right now is not what we're after.

• 2 months later...

I've jumped in a random sector just to explore, like i did already a lot, i love this part of the game. Now i'm stuck. I don't have any weapon, and the jammer seems to be attached to a pirate ship, member of a pack of 3 ships. I outrun them, but then what ?

edit : yes it's a ship, Hyperspace Blocker, with a Headhunter and something else...

350+ km and growing between us, if i stop they come closer.

It seems i'm stuck for good until patch.

Am i ?

Personally, I would do the following:

1. NPCs activate the jammer only when they're in combat (reduces the issue of getting warplocked by a friendly faction)

2. Jammer works like a debuff on your warpdrive and reduces its range.

If the jammer is stronger than your warpdrive, then you can't jump at all.

3. The jammer has a limited range and a falloff.

I agree. Like I said on other thread, it could be via a tractor beam, like in star wars for example. I think it would be a nice idea, because the tractor beam could be costumized to be weaker or stronger, depending on the foe.

Let me introduce you to the star wars interdictor :)

It blocks hyperspace jumps for any ships near it.

InterdictorClassSD-EGTW.jpg