Welcome to the Forum!

The best place to exchange builds and ideas! Vote for the best ideas and suggestions here.

Join the Avorion Discord!

Connect with other passionate players and talk about the latest news.
Discord

DLC Avorion Into the Rift Out Now!

Now available on Steam!
Steam

Anchor Block

Fox

Suggestion

after reading this topic it jumped to mind and i thought it was a nice idea to share:

Why not giving stations an Anchor Block to make it completly immobile, like pushing with a ship or force turrets no longer affect them? Would that be even possible, since everything can be moved including big asteroids and such it seems?

Canonical it could be based on the same principles as the Inertia Dampener, not sure if size should affect it since we speak about totals, either it can move or not, no in-between...

On a 2nd thought it could be a possibility to prevent ships of players going offline to be pushed throught gates of non-PvP-Sectors (like stated here) if they could anchor them before leaving?

10 answers to this suggestion

Yesterday I found and NPC ship doing this to one of the stations that I had added rock (Editors Note: you could also say thruster here!) to, and I found that instead of pushing the station at a speed of 150m/s as before, it was pushing it at a speed of 45m/s. This made it a lot easier to catch the problem before the station got really far away. After getting rid of the NPC ship, I added more rock (Editors Note: you could also say thruster here!) to the station, so now it will be even more difficult to push.

As stated, it just lowers the problem, but wont get rid of it!

Yes, I agree with unbekannt here - it doesn't make sense to have an "anchor" in space. What are you going to anchor to? However, thrusters should realistically do the trick. Stations need to be made compatible with thruster and positioning AI so that they remember their original spawn / build location and stay there within a small margin of error, and if they are ever pushed out of position, try to re-enter that home space using their thrusters.

Other than that, I could see how you could tether your Station to something, say a large asteroid. That would make sense to me. But a straight up "magic anchor" block wouldn't do it for me. The Inertial Dampeners are already a bit magic to my mind in just how effective they are, but they're something I can get behind. Maybe equip Stations with Inertial Dampener ability? That could work too.

It's pretty silly that Stations does not benefit from thruster brake thrust and even worse, inertial dampeners that definitely should act as anchors.

When someone bonks a station he generally has to wait for minutes before its dock stops going away from his ship, even on designs that should stop from 30 to 0 m/s in a sec >:(.

For station relocation however, I wonder if it would be much easier when umbilical docking will be a thing. (Or, for the time being, it could simply need bulldozer-like ships ramming it at very low speed  ;D.)

Is it possible to make a 4 ships with "force push" turrets and inertia dampeners and order them to fire at the station all the time?

The ships would stay in place, right? And if you place them in tetraedar formation with the station in the middle... Well, you get the point.

It will cause the reverse effect, the station drifting more and more :-\.

For exemple, if the station drifted towards one of the force ships, the three other force ships would push it more in that direction and overcome the pushing of the poor fourth (which'd cause the station to ram it).

But force pushing/pulling would be a much less self-destructive way to relocate stations than the bulldozers I imagined ;D.

It may work if the station was just shy of the range of engine-less force turret ships (so they wouldn't move towards the station and only hit it when it's coming towards them), but I fear two other issues coming up: the amount of time it would need to stabilize, as the turret ships would ping-pong the station which wouldn't stay at the center, drifting in the opposite direction :(. It would be costly too (nine captains and at least a dozen mechanics !). May still work though.

Well naturally, there would be a dead-zone in the center. And it's not that hard to set up.

Anyway, how does this "air resistance" work? How much do the objects slow down over time? Is it a specific amount of force? Percentage of speed and some flat speed? Or some other formula?

Figure that out and you eliminate the ping-ponging.

Or just trial-and-error.