Stuck in Fighter Bug - Warning!

Pyrax

Edit 2: Per koonschi's reply below, hitting "T" will allow you to exit the fighter. Not sure how the drone is stored in the smaller fighter, but functionally you can escape. Original post is provided below for historical purposes:

--------------

Warning: When piloting your ship with fighters deployed you may become permanently stuck in a fighter if your ship is destroyed!

Edit: This happened on the beta branch prior to the Update Patch 1. Probably still an issue though.

This renders the game unplayable as you cannot build a new ship or destroy your fighter to attempt to get back into your "drone".

You will need to delete the player file to resolve the issue:

\AppData\Roaming\Avorion\galaxies\*Your Galaxy Name*\*all associated player files*

You will be sent back to the home sector in your drone when the new player is created.

----------

Please note: Additional Testing is Necessary

*Disclaimer:*

Make sure you are on an expendable test galaxy before attempting to reproduce this bug as you WILL render your player file unplayable!

----------

My Specific Experience:

- Creative Mode Singleplayer Galaxy

- Only built one large warship

- Made a custom fighter at a fighter factory

- Used new production block to create 2 Squadrons worth of fighters

When I entered a battle with some Xotan I deployed my two squadrons of fighters against them. I proceeded to "help" by using my ship to ram the Xotan. On one of the enemies I blew up my own ship. Instead of being sent to the "drone" I was sent into one of my custom fighters.

When you are in a fighter you:

- Cannot found a new ship

- Cannot warp out of the sector

- Cannot blow yourself up on debris, enemy ships, or asteroids

You are effectively stuck in your fighter permanently. I don't know if I'd had another ship built in the galaxy, or in the sector what would have happened. There were no gates in my current sector.

Only resolution was to delete player files.

I would press T to eject, and the fighter would turn around and attack me, and when I died, I ended up inside another rogue fighter.  This has happened over and over.

Fighters mostly refuse to return to a career. 

Fighters from a destroyed career will go rogue and attack anything they feel like.  We have lost BILLIONS of credits to fighter bugs.

Recommendation?  DO NOT BUILD FIGHTERS.    Wait until they actually work.  :)