Tips on station profitability

Naremus

I've been reading up on player made stations, particularly I've seen recommendations to build water/solar plants mostly out of rock to have small crew. With the out of sector updates working now, is this a sustainable income source? The wiki lists solar plants as earning 200 credits a cycle, with the only reference to cycle I could find putting that at 15 seconds.

This works out to 60*60/15*200 = 48,000 credits an hour

Subtract crew costs out of that and you are running on fumes pretty quickly, plus you have to pick up and sell all the modules yourself taking away from time spent doing anything else.

Can player factories be made reasonably profitable considering the cost it takes to even get started with them, without requiring you to babysit the thing 24/7? I don't care if it doesn't make me billions or anything like that, it would just be nice to have a steady income or to fill in gaps for a turret factory supply chain while still having time to go fight some pirates and aliens.

You can earn millions of credits per minute with factories (ok that requires some modding). But lets start slowly:

When you want to earn some starter credits with your own productions i would recommand a Gold/Platin mine. You can sell both at a lot of stations. In the later game you could start to build your own production chains: F.e. solarpanels are very easy to produce, and has a price of ~6800 / piece.

I like to produce Targettingsystems, processor and displays (use the expensive processor-, display- and targettingcard-factory, not computercomponent factory). The required factories are expensive, but you earn millions of cerdits this way, espacially when you use the complex mod (http://www.avorion.net/forum/index.php/topic,3268.0.html). I also recommand to use the mod "all production chains" (http://www.avorion.net/forum/index.php/topic,2686.msg14058.html#msg14058).

This page will be helpful: a factory calculator wich also contains lists of all goods and all stations.

https://avofactory.scrap-yard.org/en/factory-calculator.html

If you have more questions feel free to ask.

That factory link is great, thanks!. It's amazing how much goes into even moderate level factory chains.

The mods look nice too, I play on a server though so I'll have to talk to the server owner about incorporating anything.

I'll definitely look into getting a mine going then, sounds much simpler to get started with and the calculations for profitability looks a bit more favorable. Do stations/mines get attacked regularly when you aren't around or only when you are in the same system?

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

I just started with a Gold/Platin-Mine (just like Hammelpilaw suggested). The question is: How often are (NPC-)Traders visiting such a lonely mine and how much room for cargo would I need then?

I also found a Solar-Cell factory in a nearby System and sold the first load of Gold/Platin there (well, the prices are nice).

I also found a Solar-Cell factory in a nearby System and sold the first load of Gold/Platin there (well, the prices are nice).

This is the most efficient way. Your station should have 25000 cargo space (needs about 2 days to completely fill it). Use the factory calculators good list to find out wich stations buy gold and/or platin, then search in your galaxy for these stations and sell it.