Welcome to the Forum!

The best place to exchange builds and ideas! Vote for the best ideas and suggestions here.

Join the Avorion Discord!

Connect with other passionate players and talk about the latest news.
Discord

DLC Avorion Into the Rift Out Now!

Now available on Steam!
Steam

Organic/Biological Ships

Herald of Silence

Suggestion

By "Organic Ships", I mean alien-like blocks that look deformed and pulsate every second. An Alien species like Xsotan but more biological.

For example: The Flood from the Halo Franchise. It had biomass on it's ships that it infected.

WHAT IT WOULD DO

Also, with the boarding system coming up, it could really fit in. An alien ship that launches its infected pods at the opposing ship and when taken over, overtime the ship will have visible spores or infection on the outside of the ship (Don't know if that's possible but it sure would be awesome). The weaponry that the ship originally had would shoot different projectiles (Pulse turrets shoot spores, cannon turrets shoot biomass, etc.). It could also have unique turrets like tentacles and such. The hanger bays will look like holes that contain nests. The alien ship made of biomass of course would be weaker to any kind of turrets, but instead of armor it would have rapid regeneration so it wouldn't need mechanics.

GETTING ALIEN CREW/CREW NEEDS

The alien crew won't need payment as they're controlled by a hive mind (The player). The only way to get an alien crew is by either getting the crew from stations before the ship was infected, or invade other ships with the infected boarders to assimilate the enemy crew into your own.

GETTING THE MATERIALS/MAJOR QUEST

To get the alien materials, you would have to find a sector that is guarded by lots of strong NPCS. Once all the NPCS are defeated, the leader of the group shows up and warns you of the danger you're getting in to. When he dies, a portal opens far away in the sector. Once in the portal, Everywhere around you is very foggy and sickly green. It would be highly rich in the alien materials (Zansis would be a preferable name of an alien material in my opinion).

ALIEN SHIP MAKING/SHIP REQUIRMENTS

When making the alien ship with the materials, it will be extremely expensive. It would be expensive because once you invade other ships with the alien ship, it will overtime convert to an alien ship as well. Depending on the block count of a ship will determine the speed of the transformation. To start the infection on your ship, place a single block of the alien material on your ship to start the converting process or simply recycle your ship and make it purely out of the alien material (A ship made out of complete biomass will receive an added bonus of higher regeneration and will add a crew bonus of 100-1000. Bigger the ship, the bigger crew bonus you'll get.).

SHIP INFECTION PREVENTION

The most important feature of the alien ship is it's strong boarding capabilities. It's boarders are stronger due to their large numbers.

Two easy ways to stop the destruction/loss/infection of your ship is:

1. Get loads and loads of security (Downfall is having to pay all the security crew unless you've got a good way of making credits)

2. Just completely annihilate the alien ship (Results in loss of getting the the ship materials and/or profit of selling it)

GETTING MATERIALS FROM ALIEN SHIP/DEFEATING ALIEN SHIP

Defeating the alien ship by destroying it with turrets would make it's non-essential alien parts degrade or rust very quickly due to the fact of losing it's "vital organs" (Vital organs as in when a ship has taken too much damage and becomes lifeless. Like the regular ships that blow up and you start as a drone again). To gain the alien materials from the alien ship is to board it. If you successfully destroyed all the infected crew in the alien ship, you will obtain the alien ship as it would not have the crew to move the sentient ship (Alien ship is controlled by the player but cannot function without the crew). Since the ship is still alive and immovable, you will have time to salvage the ship without it dying or rusting quickly due to not destroying it's vital parts.

Be warned that obtaining the alien ship will be extremely difficult as it will contain most likely 3-4 times more security than you do. You will be stronger but they will have more numbers which will eventually overwhelm your boarders and convert them into their army if the alien ship's army is large enough to do so. Also, remember that getting materials from a completely, untouched asteroid biomass is different from a moving, aggressive, intelligent alien biomass.

(LORE)-Not needed but something I think sounds very interesting and awesome.

A couple centuries after the explosion that created the Xsotan, They began experimenting on their own kind to see any kind of weaknesses they could have. Over the years they've rarely found anything they were weak against. But then, they used some kind of dark energy ray weaponry on their kind and it triggered a very disturbing event. The experiment began to mutate into something horrid. It then killed the scientist it was next to. Guards eventually came in shot the creature down. The creature died but shocked by the horror they've seen, they were not focusing on a more important matter. The spores that emerged from the creature went into the ventilation infecting those not wearing a protection suit. Time later came and turned everything and everyone into the infection. There was only a handful of survivors that in time, escaped.

They told their military leaders of what happened and by the looks of the scientists, they believed them. The scientists traveled by portal to get to the military leaders. And so, the scientists insisted to guard the portal instead of going in to cleanse the sector within. Their reasoning was if the infection spread onto the ships, they would infect the galaxy (Not knowing that they needed a chosen individual to lead them as they're feral without a leader). The Xsotan, trusting their people greatly, followed their advice. They sent the best containment control force to guard the sector and close off all signals, signs of treasure, everything. For if one went into the portal and the infection was founded by despicable individuals, the end of the galaxy could be at hand.

TLDR: Make biological ships.

This may seem like a lot but if created, it would be extremely amazing for biological alien ship creations and role play. Or you could just make ships that look gross and alive that'll be fine to. That's pretty much the main feature i'll and maybe some people would be looking forward to. This as well may seem like a benefit of added diversity to the game. If it doesn't work it's fine, but it is still one heck of a suggestion.

3 answers to this suggestion

Oh, oh, oh! I love this idea. But this is a large post so I'll reply to everything as I read it. Brace yourselves... this reply may be a little bit scrambled.

----

An alien ship that launches its infected pods at the opposing ship and [takes it over]. (...) It could also have unique turrets like tentacles and such.
oh my goodness tentacles for weapons

slap, ur ded

heh heh heh

I love it.

I like the idea of having a ship that infects other ships like The Flood. But perhaps not all biological ships / races would be malignant? I'm reminded of Kosh from the TV series Babylon 5. His race of people were malevolent, and beautiful in their design, their ships' design, and their behaviour towards others in the Galaxy, if a little withdrawn and formal.

Maybe biological ships can reproduce? Maybe they're more powerful in Sectors where there's certain Planets (because of their ability to draw strength from the biosphere of the Planet or some such)?

The alien crew won't need payment as they're controlled by a hive mind (The player).

Okay, but then how about this: since you are a biological race of creatures that needs biomass, maybe you need to stock up on what is normally only trading commodities, like Luxury Food and Dairy and such? Then there's at least some balancing there: no money for salary, but you still need to sustain yourselves and your ships in some way.

It would be expensive because once you invade other ships with the alien ship, it will overtime convert to an alien ship as well. Depending on the block count of a ship with determine the speed of the transformation.
Nice. I'm also thinking of events where the player ship is suddenly become infected and you have to fight off the biohazard yourself, or submit to it and become One.

Maybe there's a way ships in the process of being converted can fight back? Also much like in Halo how the Master Chief, The Covenant and The Flood are always at each other's throats for supremacy, but there is a careful balance in the stand-off.

2. Just completely annihilate the alien ship (Results in loss of getting the the ship materials and/or profit of selling it)
Yes, it makes sense that you can't Salvage many parts off of a dead biological ship, since it's now dead.

Maybe a new type of Salvaging is in order? Like taking a biopsy, but from a space ship? Maybe you could even paralyse an enemy biological ship and constantly strip away off of it as it regenerates itself over time like the heartless parasite you are you're cultivating it as a farm.

Be warned that obtaining the alien ship will be extremely difficult as it will contain most likely 3-4 times more security than you do.
Maybe even the ship itself fights back as it sees you as an intruder? You have to incapacitate it somehow or convince it that you are a better master for it than its previous Captain could ever be (maybe you could even free a Slave ship (literally - the ship is the slave!) from nasty crew men, and it would be grateful to you and do something cool for you).

I'm afraid I didn't read your lore as the first sentence contained "Xsotan" and I'm not very far into the storyline of Avorion yet and don't want to get spoilered.

P.S.

Love your username. Very cool.

This idea is awesome! I really like it, but it seems to have taken some *ahem* inspiration from the borg and Species 8472 from Star Trek, which is completely cool with me, I love this idea and would love to see it in the game, but maybe there are sort of incubation pods where you can grow crew members at a cost of materials. This idea would also be endgame, maybe when you enter the center or even after you beat the SPOILER ALERT

Xsotan mother ship at the center.

Spoiler alert over

Maybe the patient zero from the lore could be a final boss. Also i like

Oh, oh, oh! I love this idea. But this is a large post so I'll reply to everything as I read it. Brace yourselves... this reply may be a little bit scrambled.

----

Maybe biological ships can reproduce? Maybe they're more powerful in Sectors where there's certain Planets (because of their ability to draw strength from the biosphere of the Planet or some such)?

The alien crew won't need payment as they're controlled by a hive mind (The player).

Okay, but then how about this: since you are a biological race of creatures that needs biomass, maybe you need to stock up on what is normally only trading commodities, like Luxury Food and Dairy and such? Then there's at least some balancing there: no money for salary, but you still need to sustain yourselves and your ships in some way.

these ideas because they just make sense.