Server not accepting connections since update?

AtomicGlide

Hello everyone !

Since last update (18th of october) i can't connect on my server anymore. I'm not sure if it is a bug within the server or if some configuration inside the game changed.

Server was working fine under previous update, i did not change anything.

When trying to connect (multiplayer > online), it appears as 'online' in yellow text, and loading screen hangs at 'connecting'.

I tried running a server locally, using the windows dedicated executable (AvorionServer.exe --name Test). I can manage to connect to the server this way, but i have neither ship nor drone and can't do anything in the game besides using the escape menu to return to main menu. Also the server seems to either crash just the moment I join it, or the moment I leave.

I tried the -t all option, but i'm not sure where to find the log afterwards (if it goes anywhere else than the galaxy folder or Appdata/avorion)

On the remote (linux) server, the log shows no error, i just noticed the steam connection error was changed to something longer.

On the local server (windows), my log looks like this http://pastebin.com/384BuUi8

My game client logs this while trying to connect (either remote or local server, don't mind the private local address)

Wed Oct 19 23:50:19 2016| LAN polling threads finished

Wed Oct 19 23:50:19 2016| desired: ip, init: ip

Wed Oct 19 23:50:19 2016| Client: attempting to connect to 192.168.1.11:27000

Wed Oct 19 23:50:19 2016| Client UDP: Error receiving from 127.0.0.1, error: An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host, received bytes: 0

Wed Oct 19 23:50:19 2016| Client UDP: Error receiving from 127.0.0.1, error: An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host, received bytes: 0

Wed Oct 19 23:50:19 2016| UDP closed

I'm not too sure if I did something wrong somewhere or if the server is messed up

Also.. as a side note, how much ram is needed to run the server correctly?

Anyway, thank you for the awesome game ;)

• Boxelware Team

Nothing in that area has changed. Please post the log of the server that worked before and that has the steam connection problems.

A few troubleshooting questions:

Are you starting it in the correct working directory (the directory with the data/ folder)?

Are you starting it as a public server?

Is a steam process running on the server machine?

Considering the windows server: Judging from the logs, you're most likely starting it in the wrong working directory, it can't find the data it needs to run (scripts).

I didn't think about the working directory (launched the server.exe straight from the bin folder)

So the windows problem isn't one, thank you.

On the linux server, i'm launching the game with Avorion.sh while being in the folder, so the directory should be correct.

Server is started as public, not listed and without steam, no steam processes on the server (just using steamcmd to update the server files when needed)

Here's a log from the day before the update

http://pastebin.com/uE4r26Gr

Log with our current map

http://pastebin.com/rVzCWdSC

Log with a new map

http://pastebin.com/LDmdzi75

There are slight differences of configuration between our usual map and the new one, but i can't connect to either one.

Also, i noticed this happening

Sun Oct 16 13:07:52 2016| Setting script "data/scripts/systems/energybooster.lua" to invalid.

Sun Oct 16 13:07:52 2016| could not execute function 'secure' in '"data/scripts/systems/energybooster.lua"':

Sun Oct 16 13:07:52 2016| data/scripts/systems/basesystem.lua:73: attempt to index upvalue 'seed' (a nil value)

Sun Oct 16 13:07:52 2016| stack traceback:

Sun Oct 16 13:07:52 2016| data/scripts/systems/basesystem.lua:73: in function <data/scripts/systems/basesystem.lua:72>

We tried to pinpoint this issue but no luck so far, will submit a proper bug report if we figure this one out. So far it doesn't seem to affect the game, and only happens once by runtime and by player (each instance of the message seems linked to a specific player, and happens once when said player joins).

What comes to my mind is that i changed the default port to 27000 (wiki says default port is 24000), but the port is correctly entered on the client. My friend has the same issue, so there's something wrong on the server somewhere. I'll dig around more to see if i can find the problem !

• Boxelware Team

The server logs don't show any suspicious activity.

Can you connect to the windows server?

Yellow in the online multiplayer window means the server is running, but there are no UDP packets received from the server. Can you find the server in the LAN window (assuming you're running it in your LAN)? Have you changed anything in your system? Any firewall changes?

Try using "-t network" when starting the server, that should make it write networking info into the log file. -t all is usually too verbose and creates gigabytes of logs. It should only be used when the application doesn't even start.

Also, i noticed this happening

Sun Oct 16 13:07:52 2016| Setting script "data/scripts/systems/energybooster.lua" to invalid.

Sun Oct 16 13:07:52 2016| could not execute function 'secure' in '"data/scripts/systems/energybooster.lua"':

Sun Oct 16 13:07:52 2016| data/scripts/systems/basesystem.lua:73: attempt to index upvalue 'seed' (a nil value)

Sun Oct 16 13:07:52 2016| stack traceback:

Sun Oct 16 13:07:52 2016|    data/scripts/systems/basesystem.lua:73: in function <data/scripts/systems/basesystem.lua:72>

We tried to pinpoint this issue but no luck so far, will submit a proper bug report if we figure this one out. So far it doesn't seem to affect the game, and only happens once by runtime and by player (each instance of the message seems linked to a specific player, and happens once when said player joins).

This isn't necessary, it should be fixed in the upcoming patch. But it's possible that your game might be slightly corrupted; The system upgrades of several ships might be broken (can't be removed properly). The only way to solve this is to create new ships (but that will be in the patch notes, too).

What comes to my mind is that i changed the default port to 27000 (wiki says default port is 24000), but the port is correctly entered on the client. My friend has the same issue, so there's something wrong on the server somewhere. I'll dig around more to see if i can find the problem !

UDP & TCP 27000 is correct, the wiki is outdated. You also need UDP port 27003 for polling and UDP and TCP 27020 & 27021 for steam-related stuff. You should forward those in your firewall/router configuration.

Corrupted save is on the spot, i had several crashes (server ran out of ram, making Avorion crash and corrupt parts or the whole save in the process)

Lan server works fine now i'm using the right working directory. My linux server is remote though. I don't see any difference in the log when using -t network (or --trace network), am I doing something wrong?

My startup line (server.sh) is like this "bin/AvorionServer -t network --datapath Galaxy --name test", however the log is exactly the same? (also using -t all did not seem to change anything)

Checking the sockets, AvorionServer seems to work fine, it binded to 27000 and the other ports you cited (minus the steam ones because I don't use steam).

I'll poke around the firewall. The network issue seems pretty clear to me, though I still can access VNC, teamspeak and other servers running without any problem, only avorion got blocked which caused me to post here.

Small update : on windows the log changes with -t network,  not on linux (I see UDP messages and messages related to networking). Two possibilities, either the server doesn't receive any messages (thus not triggering anything in the log), or I screwed up the -t network part somewhere.