Welcome to the Forum!

The best place to exchange builds and ideas! Vote for the best ideas and suggestions here.

Join the Avorion Discord!

Connect with other passionate players and talk about the latest news.
Discord

DLC Avorion Into the Rift Out Now!

Now available on Steam!
Steam

Full release moved to Q3 2018

Ny

Did not find enjoyable at all. Back, when there was no market, I dropped that game because I didn't want to pay for fucking inventory slots. When they added the market I came back and just got lost in new stuff, strange trading system and such, so now warframe is blacklisted for me, since I can't get back in that game. All thanks to microtransactions. As a player - I hate them.

I'd rather have microtransactions. Look at Warframe. You either pay or grind.

A perfect way to ruin any game.

Read on... I've said, in Warframe, I find it enjoyable. Disliked it in WoW, Guild Wars 2 and Path of Exile though.

I've stopped playing WoW because of the recursive payments. PoE because you play it in Excel and web-auction after a while. GW2 because they started charging for expansions. Perfectly reasonable, but I wouldn't even have bought the game if I knew.

Given the options of:

- paying $30 for a full game

- paying $15 for the base game and $10 for the expansion

- paying $2 each month

I'd choose #1.

i prefer if you want to support games, give everyone free steam keys.

rather making us suffer.

Microtransactions are difficult to pull off in a game like this. I guess you could sell things like character portraits or borders or maybe flags to add to your ships or alternate weapons effects, but otherwise you can't exactly sell ship textures or colors because that would be a nightmare for sharing content on the steam workshop. Other games have more choices for skins and cosmetics because those games aren't based around building.

Microtransactions work best in games of huge size. Reason is simple - they depend the most on very small number of users, who have love for the game and too much money. You can see this work in MMORPG, where people like this pay 100x normal player does, or even more. Avorion has small audience right now. They are better of with kickstarter or fixed game price, since this:

- Does appeal to public. They pay for the product - they get all of it. Kickstarter helps endorse the game, and is not mandatory. They can add status icons and participation in developement as rewards.

- Give developer money for each new player. Since game is somewhat nieche - this is good. And kickstarter will give them money to add more stuff into the game. Since game is already good looking - they will go towards features devs threw out because "too expensive/too inefficient".

Microtransactions will scare out some of the audience, are hard to implement and are not that profitable with small constant playerbase.

I say expansions after 1.0 should happen, and should be monetized - just not OVERpriced. Devs need financial motivation to keep product developed. DLC are the worst in hand of AAA-game publishers, since, most of the time they cut content already in the game to just sell it separetly. Avorion devs have neither reason, nor means to do so.

tl;dr

- DLC in small games are fine

- Buy to play is good for small games

- Microtranscactions are hard to implement and are way less profitable with small games

- Kickstarter for additional features is a good thing to consider

About microtransactions a little bit more. Let's imagine we have decals and colours to buy. Let's imagine we have 10000 people playing the game. Since you can't get ALL colours out of the game and you can't make them too pricey, we will have some options for free, and, let's imagine, 200 different colours and 200 decals for sale.

People have their preferences for colour and style of decals. Lets imagine you buy pallete of your liking for 5 bucks and decals of militaristic looks as a pack for 5 bucks. You don't want that strange alien looking decals, no green colours, since you hate it aaaaaaaand, we'e done paying for the game. We have 10 bucks, that MAY be spent on the game. Fixed price of 10 bucks would be much better, since more people would pay for it - it is a mandatory price.

Lets imagine we have a guy, 1 in a 1000, who has a lot more money that he can spend. He likes the game, so he buys all the stuff. He pays around 20-30 bucks for all colours and 20-30 bucks for all decals, since pricing them too high would be a bad move. And we have 50 additional bucks for 1 in 1000 guy. If devs use their time and resources to get more decals that's bad - less time for the game itself. If they add gameplay donation options - that's bad, since it is a route for P2W. Hence - you need either go for huge playerbase and make a game mostly for those 1 in 1000 guys that will just buy everything, or you will have waaaaaaaaaaaay less profit from microtransactions.

tl;dr for this part:

- Since you can't set prices too migh, microtransaction require either LOADS of cosmetic contents or gameplay mechanics for sale

- First requires dedicated artists (which small teams don't have)

- Second is bad, since SOME of the audience will view this as a bad sign, me included

- If you have a lot of content to sell - there will be FEW people who will buy it all and give you huge profit, compensating for losses elsewhere, but you need large audience for this

- If you expect just few of those people - kickstarter with some participation options is way better, since you don't have to make 1000 decals just to give that guy reason and means to donate his money

p.s. Sorry for my bad english, I hope I got my point there.

do you guys know that micro transaction are killer for gaming industry ?

like that damm war thunder ?

i rather have DLC.

As a mobile application developer and avid game player I'm going to have to disagree with you on this one.  Micro transactions are the new normal.  So long as a game/application gives you the ability to earn the same thing over time vs. purchasing it, micro transactions have proven to be wholly successful.  Games that suffer tend to be the ones where those upgrades only come through micro transactions with no ability to earn it in game.  It allows those with ample time to play games the ability to earn stuff without the expense, whereas people with schedules that don't allow for massive game hours are able to compete by using micro transactions.

Hmm, Q3 is actually sooner than I figured.  I know previously you had a date set much closer to now, but anyone who has tracked very many Early Access games knows that launch dates are very rarely made.

I sort of expected you guys to do the "push it back a month" thing, but this is probably the better route.  Still, I also kind of expect it to take until mid 2019 at least.  I am patient and don't mind waiting at all.  Plus it would give you extra time to find a way to fund a small advert campaign for the game's release, which I highly recommend.  There's no need to go full-conventional with it, but something better than word-of-mouth and relying on Steam is probably in your best interest.

Either way, good luck.  I'll be hanging around and testing things off and on the whole way.  You guys are refreshing compared to several other EA devs I've observed gravely mishandling their titles and ignoring their community or looking down their noses at them.  Keep up the good work!