A suggestion for weapon changes

numpty

Suggestion

Firstly can I say how much I already love this game despite being in alpha.

I have some suggestions to make about the weapon system.

I think it bit be a good idea to continue the module concept with weaponry.

[*]Have weapon modules be responsible for boosting stats and adding properties for example "rare xanium extra range". In this example rare = +3rw and xanium = +5mw. r = rarity coefficient, m = material coefficient, w = weapon type coefficient.

[*]Have weapons responsible for adding properties e.g. seeker.

[*]Modules would only be attachable to weapons if they have the relevant stats.

[*]When receiving picking up the weapon drops they would not be broken down automatically in to weapons and modules.

[*]When viewing the weapon stats coloured icons could be attached for each module to easily see what is attached. For example Range icon + top half material colour and bottom half rarity colour (alternatively a surrounding coloured circle).

[*]Filters would be needed to search for particular modules e.g. rarity > uncommon, type = range, material > titanium, property = seeker

[*]It should be possible to break down weapons into weapons and modules.

[*]Have scarcity determine how many upgrade slots a weapon has.

[*]Change the turret creation stations to be module creation stations (if this idea gains any traction this can be discussed later).

My hope with this is to allow the player more control over the weaponry they use throughout the game and allow there to be possibly fewer drops (not sure about this) so that they drops actually have some meaning again.

More food for thought..  (things not addressed to to keep it simple)

• Single/dual/triple etc. have more relevance instead of just cosmetics.
  • Would fewer more powerful weapons improve or detract for the game play.
  • Reasearch (not a fan of it currently)
  • Mines
  • Further types of weapon modules (there could be so many)
  • Point defence (expansion upon missiles e.g. anti shield warhead, anti motion warhead, tracking, speed)
  • Customisation of weapon look since there are so many models already

If these ideas have already been gone over in other threads, I apologise, I did have a quick look (so many posts) but didn't find it.

9 answers to this suggestion

What exactly are you looking for that would constitute a "VLS missile" to you?  There's no fixed up or down in space, so all directions are "vertical"... and all directions are not.

My understanding of the purpose of VLS systems in the real world is to take advantage of ships/tanks/etc. tending to have thinner armor on their upper surface, but, again, that doesn't really apply in space.  A starship may have one or more lesser-armored facings, but, depending on how your craft are oriented relative to each other, the weak armor could just as easily be on the left side as the top.  And there's less incentive to have a weak facing in the first place when you're operating in an environment where threats are equally likely to approach from any direction.

The only thing I can think of that you could be looking for is just that you think it looks cool for missiles to launch in one direction, then turn 90 degrees to pursue their target, and that's already possible in Avorion: Get a launcher with the "guided missiles" feature, then mount it on the side or top of your ship instead of the front.  Add a turret lock if you really want to force it to fire sideways instead of trying to launch directly towards its target.

What exactly are you looking for that would constitute a "VLS missile" to you?  There's no fixed up or down in space, so all directions are "vertical"... and all directions are not.

My understanding of the purpose of VLS systems in the real world is to take advantage of ships/tanks/etc. tending to have thinner armor on their upper surface, but, again, that doesn't really apply in space.  A starship may have one or more lesser-armored facings, but, depending on how your craft are oriented relative to each other, the weak armor could just as easily be on the left side as the top.  And there's less incentive to have a weak facing in the first place when you're operating in an environment where threats are equally likely to approach from any direction.

The only thing I can think of that you could be looking for is just that you think it looks cool for missiles to launch in one direction, then turn 90 degrees to pursue their target, and that's already possible in Avorion: Get a launcher with the "guided missiles" feature, then mount it on the side or top of your ship instead of the front.  Add a turret lock if you really want to force it to fire sideways instead of trying to launch directly towards its target.

In space it would allow for more efficient layouts of missiles, why would a missile that can track need to be on a turret? VLS tubes also have a certain atheistic appeal to them. as for how its already possible, its a very crude solution, by having vls blocks layed out you can fit more missiles in a smaller area. I dont expect it to ever be added, but it would be nice.

I would really love if there was another weapon category. like Huge canons that cant be turned like normal tourtes but need to be mountet to the ship directly. So you have to fire broadsides or something. it would give your ship a "bigger feeling". And it would require a bit more skill to hit.

in that regard i would like to see some kind of bonus given for a weapon mounted on a "Fix-Rotation-Block"... like the only real useful way right now is if your ship is very small and nimble and its turnrate outclasses the turrets rotation speed...

This would also give reason other than pure aestetics for mentioned selfmade VLS Tubes or spinal-mounted weaponry as suggested here...

But there is always a fixed up or down relative to your ship, in biology you always count sides from the view of the subject you are watching...

EDIT: Is that a bin bag on the wall you can see on Charless' Picture? lol...

I'm actually using a VLS series on my current ship.  There's a small problem:  I have to be travelling fairly slowly to fire the rockets, because they have an absolute velocity once spawned, and it is so slow that my ship will collide with them very easily before they are able to clear its space.  It would be nice if they increased the speed of rockets.  For starters, non-seeking ones are objectively bad at anything but hitting stationary large targets.  Rockets that seek have a similar problem, in that they are incredibly easy to evade and they hit the ship that fired them if it is travelling too fast.  At least they don't deal damage to the ship that fired them, or I'd be able to found an entire salvage yard with my own dead ships...

Guided seem to be effective for fighters.

I also use a vls system (vertical to orientation of ship) and only ever have problems if I try to shoot someone under my hull, or inam flying 1000+MS and I am rotating my ship around while firing. I have a ogonite heavy armor ship meant to only after strait in bad situation to get out of Dodge, otherwise I fly it like a Capitol ship.