Welcome to the Forum!

The best place to exchange builds and ideas! Vote for the best ideas and suggestions here.

Join the Avorion Discord!

Connect with other passionate players and talk about the latest news.
Discord

DLC Avorion Into the Rift Out Now!

Now available on Steam!
Steam

Station Specifics

Kryptos

So I built my first station, hoping this would be a bit more like X3. I expected some glitches, based on a cursory google search, but with the latest OOS patch, it seemed like most complaints had been addressed. So I built a station. Nice sector, well defended, good local economy, and a perfect hole! There are water consumers, but no producers in the sector! So I built a water factory.

Now, I read somewhere that NPC traders should visit my station, presumably once it is profitable. I have hung out watching my station for several hours now, and no NPC traders have come by yet to buy my water and deliver it to the parched fruit farm and biotope in the same system. Am I missing something? I have ~6k water in my holds, and I'm desperately increasing cargo size to keep up with production.

So...15 minutes after posting, an NPC just bought 400 water off me. Not quite the order I was hoping for, but hey, if your stations aren't getting visited, maybe a forum post is in order?

EDIT (probably should have edited the OP too...oops)

Followup question: How do I get stations to defend themselves? I put guns on the station, I've tried ordering it to attack enemies/protect sector/guard position, but it doesn't fire. When I hop in to the station, I can lock on and fire on attacking pirates, but will a station not on it's own? I was kind of hoping to have some side income from a long range salvage beam. It's also worrying watching my station shields drop a quarter before sector patrols intervene, and even more worrying when it drops to below half during the fight.

I will be adding more shields.

So...15 minutes after posting, an NPC just bought 400 water off me. Not quite the order I was hoping for, but hey, if your stations aren't getting visited, maybe a forum post is in order?

EDIT (probably should have edited the OP too...oops)

Followup question: How do I get stations to defend themselves? I put guns on the station, I've tried ordering it to attack enemies/protect sector/guard position, but it doesn't fire. When I hop in to the station, I can lock on and fire on attacking pirates, but will a station not on it's own? I was kind of hoping to have some side income from a long range salvage beam. It's also worrying watching my station shields drop a quarter before sector patrols intervene, and even more worrying when it drops to below half during the fight.

I will be adding more shields.

NPC's are random and do not deliver, so your best bet is to trade it all yourself.

I have a station that defends itself, I can't remember if I put a captain on it though, with AI ships a captain is needed for autonomous operations so perhaps the station is the same as it is just a converted ship. Considering their expense and the fact that there is no mass penalty because you don't move a station it really is worth getting some heavy shielding on there.

Wait, just to clarify: NPC traders will not deliver starting materials, but will only buy products? So...until this changes or some X3-like complexing system is added, there is no point making any sort of manufacturing stations unless you're willing to maintain them?

Also, I do have a captain on this station. Maybe I need auto-targeting turrets too? (How do those work, anyway? I've never noticed them aiming independently...)

You can increase the amount the ships can trade by looking into the script that spawns the trading ships.

There is also a mod called Goods Hauler that let's you haul goods between stations in a sector through a ship with a captain.

Maybe I need auto-targeting turrets too? (How do those work, anyway? I've never noticed them aiming independently...)

Mount them on your ship, then assign them to a numbered group.  Return to the main "flying" mode and any weapon groups which contain auto-targeting weapons will have an icon beside them indicating their current targeting mode.  Click that icon to change modes (manual, independent, fire on locked target, or "automatic" which is supposed to be like "independent" except that it reverts to "manual" when you start firing weapons manually, but, honestly, it seems to me like it just doesn't work most of the time).

You can increase the amount the ships can trade by looking into the script that spawns the trading ships.

There is also a mod called Goods Hauler that let's you haul goods between stations in a sector through a ship with a captain.

I am under the impression that the goods hauler will only work in the sector I'm currently in. I am also under the impression that NPC traders still show up and buy stuff when I am OOS, based on the random ~10-15k deposits I receive while flying. Correct me if I'm wrong?

Also, I was looking a little closer at the NPC trader designs, and it doesn't look like they have more than 300-400 cargo holds to begin with.

And thank you, nDervish. I've been looking for a better way to mine than finding one of those 200k asteroids and taping down the mouse button. Now I'll just park right next to them with independent mining turrets!

Unrelated: can you transfer station ownership to an alliance after founding, or no?

When independent firing turrets are set in independent mode (whatever the exact mode is called), I think they will fire on the closest appropriate target within range that they can turn and shoot at. (mining turrets will target ore asteroids, salvagers will target wrecks, and weapons will target hostile ships).

Note that while they will not try to target something that they can't actually aim at due to angle, they have no qualms about firing at an enemy that is behind a friendly ship and thus might accidentally hit friendly ships so just make sure to change your position or turn them off when that happens to avoid rep loss or destruction of friendly ships.

I actually really like independent targeting. It lets you mix weapon types that otherwise would be hard to use at once due to different projectile speeds and it really helps when mining. I don't like independent salvagers though since they aren't smart at what sections of a ship they target (they'll choose a tiny block of iron if it's closer than a juicy exposed generator).

When independent firing turrets are set in independent mode (whatever the exact mode is called), I think they will fire on the closest appropriate target within range that they can turn and shoot at. (mining turrets will target ore asteroids, salvagers will target wrecks, and weapons will target hostile ships).

That does seem to be their intention, at least, but they tend to stay fixated on the same target even when that target goes out of range - put some mining turrets on auto-target while flying through an asteroid field to see this in action.  They'll lock on to the first mineral-rich asteroid you fly past, then aim at it over the back of your ship for the next 20km, even if you stop and park right next to another mineral-rich target..

However, even though they stay locked when the target goes out of range, they do respect firing arcs, so doing a barrel roll will usually get them to reset and choose a new target which actually is in range.

I have noticed this as well-if you target a ship, do a hit and run fly-by, and then look back, your independently targeted turrets will still be attempting to land hits from clear across the sector, even with other, much more immediate targets nearby and within range. It's kinda funny, if I didn't have all my 1.5km range teslas independently targeted because they rip through enemies slightly faster than they rip through my batteries.