Welcome to the Forum!

The best place to exchange builds and ideas! Vote for the best ideas and suggestions here.

Join the Avorion Discord!

Connect with other passionate players and talk about the latest news.
Discord

DLC Avorion Into the Rift Out Now!

Now available on Steam!
Steam

(fixed)[v8618][Hard-Crash] AvorionServer.exe

Laserzwei

When I try to load a galaxy saved in 0.12r8487( and up to r8618). I get the infamous executable has stopped working:

duOZ6nd.png

Steps to reproduce:

1. Create a new Galaxy

2. Play in it for a small amount of time(I did not test anything longer than 5min and did not change sectors)

3. Exit Galaxy, let it save, don't close the game, and reload

4. AvorionServer.exe stopped working.

Serverlog:

2017-06-14 12-14-26| Enabled Traces: 
2017-06-14 12-14-26| Avorion server Beta 0.12 r8487 running on Windows 7 starting up in "C:\Users\<name>\AppData\Roaming\Avorion\galaxies\galaxyT"
2017-06-14 12-14-26| CPU: GenuineIntel 8 Cores
2017-06-14 12-14-26| RAM: 16GB
2017-06-14 12-14-26| name: my Server
2017-06-14 12-14-26| seed: 1gjcxBV9tz
2017-06-14 12-14-26| port: 27000
2017-06-14 12-14-26| max online players: 10
2017-06-14 12-14-26| save interval: 600
2017-06-14 12-14-26| broadcast interval: 5
2017-06-14 12-14-26| max loaded sector time: 300
2017-06-14 12-14-26| weak update: yes
2017-06-14 12-14-26| worker threads: 7
2017-06-14 12-14-26| generator threads: 2
2017-06-14 12-14-26| difficulty: Normal
2017-06-14 12-14-26| infiniteResources: no
2017-06-14 12-14-26| collision: 1
2017-06-14 12-14-26| access list: Blacklist
2017-06-14 12-14-26| public: no
2017-06-14 12-14-26| authentication: no
2017-06-14 12-14-26| listed: no
2017-06-14 12-14-26| steam networking: yes
2017-06-14 12-14-26| server will exit once all admins logged out.
2017-06-14 12-14-26| administrators: 'admin' 
2017-06-14 12-14-26| Initializing sector database...
2017-06-14 12-14-26| Initializing faction database...
2017-06-14 12-14-26| 

No mods used.

The savegamefolder is linked via mklink

savegame:

savegame

Note: I removed personal data (Windows user account, steam name, steamID)

Most likely related to: http://www.avorion.net/forum/index.php/topic,3519.0.html

• Boxelware Team

I've tried the save you posted and I can't reproduce the error. Working completely fine here. Can you start the server with the command line options "-t all" (without quotes) and then post the server log?

Until now I did not test it on a dedicated server- it was all singleplayer.

I did some further testing:

, where I made a new galaxy where I explored some systems build my own ship and then reentered as described in 3, with the same result.

, whereI updated my private dedicated server and it ran the world without problems- including restarts, login etc.

, where I tested it next on a new galaxy, but this time with the steam command options "t -all", sadly again the same result.

attached are the clientlog and the creation- and crashLog of the server, from the last test; both server logs seem not to provide any new information.

1client_2server_Log.zip

When I start the galaxy with a dedicated server it's all fine.

Loading the same galaxy in singleplayer crashes.(It was created as singleplayermap in the first place.)

Before

EXwgc8s.jpg

Crash

8mIPx0A.jpg

I honestly have no Idea how to apply the "-t all" option in such a way that it affects the AvorionServer.exe when starting a singleplayer game.

• Boxelware Team

There's almost no difference between starting the server as dedicated server or as singleplayer. You can pass the arguments via the dedicated server window, or you start the server from the command line and give the arguments there.

But it looks like the server is incapable of initializing some databases, and for that we'd need tracing so we can see where it breaks.

using the dedicated server option from within the game (I never used it before :) ) has the same result as using the singleplayer menu.

However I was able to add the "-t all" option.

The alliances folder of the savegame is empty btw.

Logs attached

Edit 2: creating a new galaxy, not joining it, stopping server, closing client,  and (re-)starting server works without crashes.

When I join the server and leave it crashes. Deleting the player data "fixes" it until the server restarts.

The very same galaxy works 100% fine with the steam(cmd) dedicated server-which I previously just called "dedicated server".

(The logs of Edit 2 are not attached)

Conclusion:

1) The steamdedicated Server is more tolerant to wrong(in every shape this word might bend) playerdata, than the internal dedicated server.

2) The later might produce corrupted playerdata.

logs.zip

• Boxelware Team

I've added a few more logging functions that will be available with the next update. Please start the server again once the update is out, which should be very soon.

Is the server reliably not starting? As in, if you start it 10 times, does it start up 0 of 10 times or does it start up some times?

I did a test as follows:

1. start the server(with old player.dat)-> crash

2. remove player.dat before next start. -> no crash

3. close server without joining and restart -> no crash

4. join the server  close it and restart -> crash

Most interesting logfile-lines:

2017-06-16 14-29-56| Creating folder: "C:\Users\name\AppData\Roaming\Avorion\galaxies\dedicated_server"

2017-06-16 14-29-56| Saving xml file: "C:\Users\name\AppData\Roaming\Avorion\galaxies\dedicated_server\admin.xml"

2017-06-16 14-29-56| Filesecurer moving "C:\Users\name\AppData\Roaming\Avorion\galaxies\dedicated_server\admin.xml~" to "C:\Users\name\AppData\Roaming\Avorion\galaxies\dedicated_server\admin.xml"

2017-06-16 14-29-56| Reading content of file: "C:\Users\name\AppData\Roaming\Avorion\galaxies\dedicated_server\admin.xml~"

2017-06-16 14-29-56| Filesecurer backup content size: 1286

2017-06-16 14-29-56| Reading content of file: "C:\Users\name\AppData\Roaming\Avorion\galaxies\dedicated_server\admin.xml"

2017-06-16 14-29-56| Filesecurer destination content size: 1286

2017-06-16 14-29-56| Initializing sector database...

2017-06-16 14-29-56| Creating folder: "C:\Users\name\AppData\Roaming\Avorion\galaxies\dedicated_server\sectors"

2017-06-16 14-29-56| Initializing faction database...

2017-06-16 14-29-56| Creating folder: "C:\Users\name\AppData\Roaming\Avorion\galaxies\dedicated_server\players"

2017-06-16 14-29-56| Creating folder: "C:\Users\name\AppData\Roaming\Avorion\galaxies\dedicated_server\factions"

2017-06-16 14-29-56| Creating folder: "C:\Users\name\AppData\Roaming\Avorion\galaxies\dedicated_server\alliances"

2017-06-16 14-29-56| Read index file.

2017-06-16 14-29-56| Checking for unknown players in folder...

2017-06-16 14-29-56|

logs attached.

I did a different test before the update:

As I've mentioned I also use the steamcmd standalone server and the very same savegame works there without any problems. I copied over the AvorionServer.exe from the Avorion installation folder into the standalone server one and it still worked perfectly.

Im using the following for startup:

--datapath "D:\Avorion\Server\Galaxies" --galaxy-name dedicated_server --admin my-steamID

Now I changed the datapath to "C:\Users\name\AppData\Roaming\Avorion\galaxies" and it printed me the following in the command console:

steam networking: yes                                                                                                                         

administrators: 'admin'                                                                                                                       

Initializing sector database...                                                                                                               

Initializing faction database...                                                                                                             

An exception occurred: boost::filesystem::read_symlink: Die Anforderung wird nicht unterst³tzt: "C:\Users\name\AppData\Roaming\Avorion\galaxies" terminate called after throwing an instance of 'std::runtime_error'

what():  Error cleaning up lua::WorkerPool: shutdown() not called!

This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way.                                                                 

Please contact the application's support team for more information.                                                                           

logs.zip

• Boxelware Team

It might be a pathing problem. Can you send me the logs, including your username? If you're not comfortable posting this online, please PM me. But your username *might* be the cause for this. Have you tried starting up the server in a C:\Avorion folder or something similar?

Yes, these are indeed the most interesting logfile lines. We're getting closer.

Does the server crash, as in it closes or there's a windows message, or does it just hang indefinitely?

With every crash I get the windows popup: "AvorionServer.exe has stopped working".

When using the ingame dedicated server I can click start shortly after I clicked the popup away.

It might be a pathing problem. Can you send me the logs, including your username? If you're not comfortable posting this online, please PM me. But your username *might* be the cause for this. Have you tried starting up the server in a C:\Avorion folder or something similar?

1) could be related to using windows  symlinks to make folders apppear on different harddrives?

The "folder" "C:\...\Roaming\Avorion\galaxies\" is actually a Link to the Folder "D:\Avorion\Client\galaxies\".

C:\ is an SSD which I don't want to stress too much, therefore I use the HDD D:\

2)My steamusername is only lowercase letters and my Win username is only uppercase letters- no numbers, no overlength, no special characters, not even ä,ö,ü

3) doesn't change the outcome.

I never experienced this bug before the patch and didn't change anything with my setup(neither names, folders, installation locations, etc.)

• 2 weeks later...

Initializing sector database...

Initializing faction database...

An exception occurred: boost::filesystem::read_symlink: The request is not supported: "C:/Users\Entity"

terminate called after throwing an instance of 'std::runtime_error'

what():  Error cleaning up lua::WorkerPool: shutdown() not called!

Same issue? I can't load any saves...

I have linked my users folder to another drive.

I have created a workaround for my instance of this issue

Which means this workaround is for those that linked their entire windows user folder elsewhere

What this procedure does is make it so the game never has to resolve any symlink and thus won't choke on them.

----------------------------------------------

Place this script in your Avorion folder, call it AvorionStart.bat:

@echo off

set USERPROFILE=X:\USERS\username

call %*

Change X:\USERS\username to match the true location of your user folder.

Now go to steam, into Avorion's properties, and set the launch options to read:

AvorionStart.bat %command%

You can now launch Avorion as normal.

Note that this will cause a shell window to open when you run the game. This can't really be helped without a more elaborate solution, so just ignore it.

You might be able to fiddle with it if you have a different symlink setup, through setting the APPDATA environment variable in the script, but don't get your hopes up.

It certainly won't fix a case like Laserzwei's where one symlinked stuff deeper than the Avorion appdata root folder itself.

(This problem should of course still be fixed by the devs).

(This problem should of course still be fixed by the devs).

That is what I think, too.

Though: Using Symlinks is a workaround to change the location of the savefile(s).

That makes your solution a workaround for a workaround- which I am unwilling to do.

It would be much more straight forward, if the bug was fixed, and even better: That we can choose where the savegame should be saved. A line in a configfile would be enough.

That's my opinion about this.