damage mechanics?

harrymcb

how does damage work? what is the difference between ship hp and block hp? how do integrity fields work? i saw an old thread about I-fields that said they lump all the health of effected blocks together, but that is not what i have noticed it doing. if it does do that does that mean armor blocks are just as useful in the center of a ship as if they plated the ship?

• 2 weeks later...

I'm no expert but I'll help where I can.

Integrity Generators increase the health of affected blocks by a factor of 10. You can see where the field affects when you add/remove blocks in build mode. I've found a 2x2x0.1 square of IG works well, with a thin layer of armour over it for added protection.

Ship HP = total block HP; may also be related to total damage you can take before dying

Block HP = damage needed to destroy that single block, not counting IGs and shields.

Hope that helps.

^ Pretty much what he said, yeah.

Not sure how the game distributes the damage from blocks under an IG field, though. We know it's not pooling the HP of the blocks the IG covers anymore, but it may be spreading the damage across the ship, or it may be drawing upon an abstract variable based off the ship's total HP, which would mean the damage goes "nowhere" until your ship dies or the block reaches damage levels over 10 times its base HP.

• 3 weeks later...

As long as the integrity field covers the whole ship ( You'll see the entire ship go blue ) then thats all you need to do.

Adding more does not add to the ships health.

Shield generators on the other hand work differently.

Even the tiniest one will cover the entire ship, however the shield HP will be extremely low.

So with Shield generators more is most definitely better.

As a suggestion, once you have reached a level where you can mine Naonite, don't worry any more about integrity generators and just go full shields  :)

• 2 weeks later...

That would seem to leave one open to accidental dismemberment via collision, no? ;)

Yes, really need to be careful of this!  While testing in the Beta branch my heavily shielded, but still 99% Titanium, ship lightly clipped an asteroid while travelling at speed.  This damaged the hull while the shields were untouched.

Somewhat amusingly, this was the Beta after all, physics then went totally crazy causing my large ship to spin at several hundred rpm while veering off in a random direction....right into another asteroid at a speed far greater than I was originally travelling.  Shields didn't help then either lol.

Scoob.

Collisions ignore shields, this is intended.

Also, yeah, in a sense you have to be more careful of collisions if your whole ship is covered in an integrity field because the damage won't just break off the blocks involved in the "accident". That said, unless you have a lot of weak pointy bits shooting off the sides of your ship, I can't picture many cases where not having the integrity field would actually save you. Impacts are high damage and I don't think the game slows you down much until either the "new profile" of your post-collision ship can now pass by the obstacle or you went through enough blocks and still live.

You do get thrown off pretty insanely, though, which is realistic if we pretend the materials your ship is made of are strong enough to not simply spontaneously fly off in every directions.