A more dynamic universe

Guest ClockworkHex

Suggestion

Guest ClockworkHex

I haven't played Avorion in a while, so sorry if anything I mention here is already in the game. My suggestion is that NPC factions would be able to gain and lose territory through fighting, and new factions could arise out of bigger ones separating due to conflict. This would all make it so no factions would ever become dominant - because the bigger they are, the more unstable they become, which would thus cause it to divide into one or more new factions. This cycle would make it so the game's universe never becomes stagnant.

Pirates would have very little territory, and never try to gain any - instead, they would only be trying to loot other factions. Pirate factions could also arise from bigger factions, but would remain very small, and would frequently raid neighboring systems.

In addition to gaining territory through fighting, NPC factions would also occasionally be able to buy territory. This would happen uncommonly when one faction decides to buy some amount of territory from another faction that it is allied with.

Lastly, factions would on rarer occasions merge. This would happen when 2 factions that share a common enemy decide to unite forces, thus causing a merger.

These kinds of things would affect any player-made factions too, but there would be a system in place, such as morale, which would make it easier to keep your faction together and less likely for parts to split off. With 100% morale, you could make your faction completely stable, thus not having to worry about parts of your faction seceding.

This would likely be difficult to implement, but I think this would make the galaxy a lot more exciting, to see factions fall, rise, and experience inner conflicts to make it seem more like the game isn't centered around the player.

5 answers to this suggestion

That's basically asking for having a faction simulation going on in the background, however it could only work with discovered sectors if at all.

Would be cool to have a background sim for factions, especially if it included economy too.

The server needs to have a full overview of the galaxy available, where it can run scripts at a more abstracted level against 'unloaded' sectors, and periodically update them.

It doesn't need to worry about the details of battles and mining and construction and trade routes - unless there's a player present who needs those details to play out for realism, broad strokes are enough.