Dev Update: Alliances

koonschi

• Boxelware Team

Development Update

Let's do a quick update on what's happened so far with the alliances!

Over the last weeks I had to get a lot of backend and business stuff done so progress was sometimes a little slow and when there was progress, well, there was nothing that I could show since it's been background and database changes.

But now the backend coding is mostly done and I've started implementing more of the front-end features, which I will quickly show you here! Sadly, over the last weeks progress wasn't going just as well as I had hoped, but we're confident that we'll be releasing the update in the next few weeks. I'd love to be more specific on the release date, but there are always unforeseen problems in software development and I prefer finishing the next updates up nicely before pushing them into the beta branch to avoid frustration and bugs.

Alliances

Alliances will work like a faction. You can invite people to join your alliance, and from then on they can, depending on their permissions, contribute to that alliance and fly crafts of it, build and so on.

e7dfb7a353857b3b57ef477631d65d4525dfd363.jpg

2c2195cc278a20e3383ecf63a3560821243996d8.jpg

You can invite people over the members list which can be seen here:

c80d7abbe3ef2e2e914fd77e10419d937c7f9f34.jpg

And of course there's going to be an alliance vault, where you can store and items and resources. These items will be available to everyone building and flying alliance ships, so you'll be using up resources from the alliance when managing its ships.

Another nice and highly asked-for feature will be filtering in the inventories! I added a filter function which will match strings with the tooltips so you can highlight and easily find items you're looking for. I also drastically improved the performance of the inventory UI, so it's going to be a lot more fluid.

2bc93ef07ed7affe72e4d5da5f1a32a1e6c80ce3.jpg

The filtering feature will be applied to all the occurrences of the inventory, including the building mode and the research station as well.

750a58084d35d9ab41137190520ac51ac55eb819.jpg

Links to all the pictures in high resolution so you can actually see something:

c963933e4b60b8ad4ffc080c534fed3065463c4e.jpg42ac6cfc5af06cbc0175154733c6405eab030ca5.jpg8c21b7ad1b78426b044662eac97ed8dca81c6da1.jpg729139361c8b06f305e998921705e1f6197d666f.jpgb91d74c11ebe88497ea6ff04d419bdbc4624be97.jpg

Alright guys, thanks for your attention and have fun! I'll go back to development of the alliances and all the other features we've planned for the update!

thanks for sharing here, nice to see ...uhm, my Transporter on the pictures? how the update progresses...

...Another nice and highly asked-for feature will be filtering in the inventories!...

Hell yeah!! Any words for renamning already existing ships?

Heh, man, the filter will be almost as useful as the Alliances/friends stuff ;).

Just sat my best friend down today and helped him through the tutorial. Pretty sure he's addicted even after getting less than an hour to mess around (we were Eve pirate crew members for 5 of the 7 years I played it).

First up  thanks a heap for updating and keeping all in the loop.  I can't wait for the big push.

I am so into this Game.  I don't even play  Elite Plus, Empyrion or Stelaris or anything any more  Just  Avorion.  I love this game because it opens up  'My universe, My rules.  :)  I am seeing a very low posting activity on Steam Forums,  Only people who can't set graphics for thier card.  :-[

I would like to offer  "is there anyway I can get a separate license X2 for the game  , that does NOT rely on steam.?  I want to run this game without steam when Steam no longer is an option.  I will Pay  Money  i telll you.  Just tell me how.?  I know I can run it in OFF line mode.  NOOOOOO I want a licensed copy  x 2 for my self.  ;)

Thanks

Jan D

we're now going on 5 weeks since it was announced and 2 weeks since he did the above update

we are waiting but as you see the multiplayer numbers are dying so fast its not even funny

of the 15 or so that were on hte server i was on with my fleet only 3 of us come back to do anything now....

Not to gripe there mister dev .....but what good is all this alliance stuff if no one is playing

Well it is an early access game. You should expect both an inconsistent patch schedule and an incomplete game so there's less content to keep people playing on a server at the moment. 5 weeks is not long to wait for a patch at all, most games wait several months from the time a patch is announced.

I'm really excited for the update but in the meantime give them the time needed to ensure a stable and testable patch. :)

early my ass he even says somewhere that hes been working on this 4 years

hire a helper?

and this is somethng i notice on steam ive seen some games released in 2014 that are still early access

this tells me one thing be very wary of spending cash on games that do not progress

this one is but with the number a people hes not very smart ....or he being greedy.

one dev and some musician ( that latter should have had his music rights bought and been nothing to do with stuff very weird)

if starmade had the build system that this does id not even be here( its a bit confusing)

and i grew up as a kinda person that if i say 5 days i mean 5 days...if i say a couple of weeks i mean 2-3 not 6 going on 7 or 8 thats a couple of months a magnitude factor of 4....

and im not alone look at multiplayer numbers the games dead..he made a fast buck now it will be interesting just to see if anyone comes back to play

I can play this Game Solo "as is"  for the next 5 years.  It has so much more potential to get a following, but I will wait .  I have been waiting for 7d2d for updates for 3 years.  , Might as well just settle in and enjoy this solo masterpiece.  I don't think the Devs realize just how much more they could contribute and turn around the players.  Sad.

JanD

i grew up as a kinda person that if i say 5 days i mean 5 days...if i say a couple of weeks i mean 2-3 not 6 going on 7 or 8 thats a couple of months a magnitude factor of 4....

we're confident that we'll be releasing the update in the next few weeks. I'd love to be more specific on the release date, but there are always unforeseen problems in software development and I prefer finishing the next updates up nicely before pushing them into the beta branch to avoid frustration and bugs."

I'm really not trying to start an argument here as believe me, I understand how frustrating it can be to wait for an update that you're really looking forward to. I just wish people would read the developer's posts before announcing that the sky is falling. :P

ok you started it the dev above at or nearly 6 weeks back started this alliance buzz and said a few weeks at time of last edit was what about 8-10 days before end a month? so his FEW WEEKS could be a FEW MORE WEEKS

and i even initially defended him

Telling one guy to hope for end a month ,his initial post was at beginning of April or there about

and i said hope for end a month and if it comes earlier you will be real happy, well now were near on 2 months later

THAT is not a few weeks although he does above try and give reasons.

I just don't see those reasons as needing this much time?

While im not writing perfectly with punctuation , that's laziness atm not lack of skills....

Bussiness Administration with Major in information systems and the highest computer programing mark the university has ever seen then or since....( 97% )....so i do have an idea what he may be doing code wise ....it has been done already so it is not like it should be undoable and he shows screen shots of pretty UI's , that may actually have ZERO code under it.

OH and go outsid eright now and ask anyone what a "couple of" means

let me know how many 8+ you get lol

If i where you, i wouldnt expect anything before christmas this year, otherwise you only will get frustrated... thats the aimed for release date, and everything until then is subject to change, sooner or later (more often later than sooner, true dat, but heh...)!

And i gladly would wait for this specific upfdate for another four to six weeks considering all the stuff thats happening with it, hell, half the game gets restructured with being able to load multiple sectors at once alone!! Not mentioning anything from the Player-Alliances itself...

@Devs Take your time! Do it good instead of feeling to get pushed!!!

hey im not frustrating myself i just go elsewhere

when he gets round to it he will i guess but at least HE SHOULD state it that way

i may have played the game once this week

i had put 10 hrs a day in till about 10 days back just found other things to do and entertain me

I just don't see those reasons as needing this much time?

Bussiness Administration with Major in information systems and the highest computer programing mark the university has ever seen then or since....( 97% )....so i do have an idea what he may be doing code wise ....it has been done already so it is not like it should be undoable and he shows screen shots of pretty UI's , that may actually have ZERO code under it.

If you knew anything about software-engineering, then you should know that testing code properly can take a lot of time. Don't forget: The Dev is German, so I'd expect him to properly test the code - please don't tell him to do it the Redmond-Way (M$) :P . If he encounters a bug in his test-cases, it might also take a lot more time to find the bug in the code and fix it (and then repeat the test).

Further you should remember that the Dev might have to change the class-model of Avorions' code to allow people to create Alliances (Factions?), invite people to Alliances and so on. Since he also stated that he wants to include Server-Data Backups, he might have to include more libs (zlib for compression/decompression for example), too.

You see, not everything might be as simple as you might think.

Yes, UIs may be not functional - at least you know about rapid-prototyping. But do you really think the Dev is just kidding us?

hey im not frustrating myself i just go elsewhere

Then simply calm-down :)

• 2 weeks later...

fox you should stop

he said a few weeks ...and that was like nearly 2 months ago now

i dont make excuses for people that say ya ill be there at a few hours and then show up ...a week later....

no matter ive my ships xml's and if the game ever does get done then ill be back , off playing 7 days to die....the surge.....path of exile....guild wars 2 ...and other stuff

so plenty to entertain me....hes said he wants to get stuff right and if your saying Christmas then the games dead ...all these game servers people pay for are not gonna wait this long

fox you should stop

I thought a quite long time how one could argue here, maybe reposting the EA-Disclaimer again, but then i saw this:

...anyhow ive logged into the game once ina  week the crew costs are so much i wont till i hear of a real update

... and suddenly all became clear... Anyone knows how "Perlen vor die Säue" translates into english? Like any argument would be a waste of effort...

Your analogy there is wrong btw!

Like saying on Tuesday "I meet you in a couple weeks!" and you complain on Saturday you havent heard anything of me! I even send you a message on Friday i dunno an exact date yet...

That would be more accurate i think... DAMN, now i eventually did it anyways...

fox you should stop

i dont make excuses for people that say ya ill be there at a few hours and then show up ...a week later....

no matter ive my ships xml's and if the game ever does get done then ill be back , off playing 7 days to die....the surge.....path of exile....guild wars 2 ...and other stuff

so plenty to entertain me....hes said he wants to get stuff right and if your saying Christmas then the games dead ...all these game servers people pay for are not gonna wait this long

You do realize that 7 days to die and PoE have had their updates delayed much longer than Avorion, right?  Seems hypocritical to say the least.

• 2 weeks later...

2.5 months and counting

and no my analogy would be more akin to saying

ok ill show up in 2.5 minutes then show up a magnatude later ergo 2.5 weeks later

as to you fox wonder why your defending this guy so hard its why a lot of people are slowly waking up to what early access is

for indie devs that cant get full games made

good 20$ but go look hes been at this more then 4 years

christmas of 2020 maybe ....

and pretty lil graphs ya

there is a saying

get er done

fox you should stop

You do realize that 7 days to die and PoE have had their updates delayed much longer than Avorion, right?  Seems hypocritical to say the least.

yet they are about to come out wiht there alphas and to show it did a novel idea actually have a contest for streamers to show off the new update

and the main devs been streaming it ....they are very near

go look at starmade on steam ONLY reason i like avorion over it is the shipbuilding menus are easier to use

anyhow off to breakfast have fun next pass in 2 weeks later