Welcome to the Forum!

The best place to exchange builds and ideas! Vote for the best ideas and suggestions here.

Join the Avorion Discord!

Connect with other passionate players and talk about the latest news.
Discord

DLC Avorion Into the Rift Out Now!

Now available on Steam!
Steam

Military & Bandit ships treated as CIVILIAN, ruins reputation!

Thundercraft

I always try to design my ships in a Creative-mode single-player galaxy. I want unlimited resources and the peace and quiet.

I've tried designing ships in a completely empty sector. However, after several hours of this, wave after wave of Xsotan keep spawning until there are several dozens of them:

20170302202041_1.jpg

With that many Xsotan in the same sector, my game frequently crashes to desktop. :(

So, I've been building in a system defended by several faction corvettes and frigates. These usually destroy any Xsotan or bandits, leaving me to design my ships in peace.

After many hours of designing, all of a sudden I hear combat music. This time, the local faction refused to engage the pirate wave that spawned. (See the "Enemy of my enemy" topic for details of this phenomena.) I was disappointed, but not surprised as I've had this happen before. I did expect my reputation with my start faction to take a big hit because they became friendly with bandits for engaging and destroying Xsotan for them.

What surprised me was how relations with my starting faction went from "Admirable" to "Abhorrent" after destroying just one bandit ship!

Apparently, bandits and raiders (and military ships) are being treated as civilian ships. So when I destroy even one of them I get the double whammy of destroying one of their allies and destroying a civilian ship.

After time and effort, I managed to improve relations to a blue "Neutral". Then I spent $millions to improve it back to "Admirable".

Then, a little while later... it happened again. Bandits spawned. An "Admirable" faction refused to attack said bandits. I'm forced to defend myself and...

"You destroyed a civilian ship! Relations with all witnessing factions have dropped!"

Again, relations went from "Admirable" to "Abhorrent" in the blink of an eye.

All I wanted was to design ships in peace. Isn't there a way to make this happen?

After complaining about this on a Discord channel, someone suggested:

Try copy pasting this into your chat in single player: /run Entity():addScript("lib/entitydbg.lua")

then in the player menu [in the player tab of the ~dev debug button that is created] click the turn off events button pirates/ xsotan will stop spawning.

So far, this seems to work. However, I have to remember to do this every time I restart Avorion. (And, of course, I forgot...)

In desperation, I took a closer look at all the available options in the [~dev] debug menus.

In the [ship Commands] tab, I tried the "Destroy" button after selecting one of the pirate ships. I was not pleased to see my ship self-destruct. Then, after rebuilding my ship and jumping back to the system, I tried "Delete", thinking that with all these debugging options there must be some way to delete a hostile ship... Nope. :( My ship self-destructed again, the only difference being that this time no wreckage was left behind.

Finally, I tried "Toggle Invincible". I haven't tested this option thoroughly. But I can say that this does not prevent enemies from depleting your ship's shields.

I've also taken a look at these button: "Entity Scripts", "Entity Values", "Faction Scripts", "Faction Values", "Player Scripts", "Player Values". Surprisingly, I could not find any option to adjust faction relations. Not one.

After selecting a station owned by hostile faction, I pressed the "Like" button. But that did not seem to do anything. At least, it did not change my relations with the faction in question. I tried again after selecting one of the faction's ships. Still nothing. Though, at this point, I seemed to notice that as soon as I press the [~dev] button to go into the debug menu, whatever I had selected gets shifted to having my own ship selected...

Granted, this is an early access game under development. Bugs and balance issues are bound to crop up. But how about a command line code or debug/admin command to permanently disable all events in the galaxy? How about changing "Creative" on galaxy generation so that events never happen? Or, maybe you could add a new option on galaxy creation to disable all events?

Since this happened, as mentioned here, I used parts of the Hostile Factions mod to subtract 200000 reputation with all other factions, hoping that would prevent this behavior.

Well, it does not seem to work. I still get the same problem of factions ignoring bandits and raiders.

The admin of the server where I participate suggested that I need to remove the "is_civil" and "civilship.lua" lines from pirategenerator.lua.

So, I looked at pirategenerator.lua in /scripts/lib/. Near the bottom of function PirateGenerator.create, I found:

ship:addScript("civilship.lua")

ship:setValue("is_civil", 1)

As he suggested, I've commented these out.

I tried once more to stabilize relations in my single-player game. As my relations with my start faction was still at the worst it could possibly get, I decided to wipe out the headhunters in a sector as they were getting annoying. I destroyed just one of them and...

"You destroyed a civilian ship! Relations with all witnessing factions have dropped!"

And, of course, there happened to be ships of some other, friendly faction in the system. And, so, they went from a friendly turquoise to a Bad yellow-orange in the blink of an eye... for destroying a Headhunter ship.

That's right! Even Headhunter ships and Hyperspace Blockers are treated as civilian ships!

Searching through /scripts/ , I found the issue in shipgenerator.lua in /lib/. Apparently, most types of ships in the game are treated as civilian ships because they contain:

ship:addScript("civilship.lua")

ship:setValue("is_civil", 1)

This includes createMilitaryShip, createDefender, and createCarrier. (This also includes Headhunter and Hyperspace Blocker ships because headhunter.lua calls createMilitaryShip.)

Wait a minute... These are government (faction)-owned military ships, used strictly for combat. As such, setting the "is_civil" to true for these is something of an oxymoron, because - by definition - these are not civilian ships.