Giving map and notes some loving attention

balaur

Suggestion

- when adding a note, make autofocus on text area so that I can start writing right away

- giving ability to choose colors and icons for notes on star map would really help to tag-the-map

- make star map as loading screen for sectors, hopefully interactive so I could browse factories and notes

- would be awesome if I could draw lines on star map and attach notes to them

8 answers to this suggestion

Right click on a sector in the galaxy map. Its a few entries down from the hyperspace calculations.

Thanks!  For me "Add Note" doesn't show up for sectors I haven't been to yet (guess that makes sense, no db entry for that sector yet), those I've been to have "Add Note" as the 2nd option down (no idea how I've managed to miss this... :P).  Actually typing something into the notes field (300 char limit) results in that text showing up below Factories/Stations lines.

Useful fer sure.  Wish there was a way to simply search all the auto generated & player added text for the galaxy map.  Would be nice to simply search for "Steel" to find all the Steel S/M/L factories coordinates (in systems you've been to of course); though would be great to have an option to 'Highlight Sectors matching search results?"  ;D

Useful fer sure.  Wish there was a way to simply search all the auto generated & player added text for the galaxy map.  Would be nice to simply search for "Steel" to find all the Steel S/M/L factories coordinates (in systems you've been to of course); though would be great to have an option to 'Highlight Sectors matching search results?"  ;D

There have been a lot of suggestions in this direction.

Here is the answer from Koonschi (click on the quote description for a link to the topic):

I've gotten this proposal a few times already and I have to agree, something like that would be nice.

There have been a lot of suggestions in this direction.

Here is the answer from Koonschi (click on the quote description for a link to the topic):

I've gotten this proposal a few times already and I have to agree, something like that would be nice.

Heh, indeed there are Sir!  ;D  Thanks for the link; obviously no need to merge my comments into that thread as others have already more than amply covered it.

And I appreciate your patience and subtlety, especially from a Divine Being  ;)

I promise I will make a better effort to find pre-existing long running posts about various things and keep the 'wild hare posting' down... really.  Just having a lot of fun playing atm so have been spending time in-game rather than a deep read/catch-up with the forums.

All kidding aside, that is by -far- the kindest (and seriously subtle yet clear) chastisement I have ever seen/received from a Moderator on any forum!

You Sir are very, very well suited to your duties, I salute you!  :)

Right click on a sector in the galaxy map. Its a few entries down from the hyperspace calculations.

Thanks!  For me "Add Note" doesn't show up for sectors I haven't been to yet (guess that makes sense, no db entry for that sector yet), those I've been to have "Add Note" as the 2nd option down (no idea how I've managed to miss this... :P).  Actually typing something into the notes field (300 char limit) results in that text showing up below Factories/Stations lines.

"Mark" sector with another option and then add note

"Mark" sector with another option and then add note

Thanks for the tip Masyaka!  R-Click over a sector on the map then click "Remember Coordinates" then R-Click again and the "Add Note" option is there.

Nice. Now I can mark where the unknown masses are around a sector for future exploration.

Nice. Now I can mark where the unknown masses are around a sector for future exploration.

Ha!  What really happens is you find you mark some interesting masses.  Then maybe make a note about a particular station that has stuff you want (so it stands out on the map and you don't have to hover over each sector to make the list come up).  Possibly put down a note about some nice ore you want to get back to later on.

Then you go and look at the map and spend 20 minutes trying to find the note you're looking for amongst all the notes you've made, and it's not much better (and actually probably worse) than just keeping a pad of paper and a pencil next to your keyboard and making notes manually.