Problems with stick-like ships

Masyaka

Both ugly, unrealistic and impossible to defeat things. Yes, im talking about giant super-long sticks with thrusters and tons of cannons on each side to make it spin me spin me spin me spin me right round

Its really impossible to kill them unless you use some lasers and lock-on rockets. Same happends with salvaging, possible only by using properly working auto-fire. Sometimes there are 2 sticks in 1 ship.

Pls replace seeds and programmes for generating stick ships to blocky-like, which are more realistic and fun to destory.

IMO if the spinning itself would be adressed, like in less recoil for the recieving ship, i'd be fine with any stickship, for now its indeed not easy to fight, but not impossible also, i for myself try to aim for the middle point of the spinning wheel...

positive sideeffect: a spinning ship gets trouble flying and aiming, so use this for your advantage!

yeah im not saying im a fan but what Fox said is accurate.

Just aim for the part of the ship that is not moving... there is a center "hub" point that the ship spins around...

its a bit tricky but yeah... satisfying.

Also steam workshop should be fairly soon and that should allow uploading ship designs that can be used in place of faction generated ships.

Auto fire and "spread" type weapons help as well against these.

It's a love hate thing hanging out in the sticks for me. I do hate that they spin and twist and can be hard to hit, but I also love that they aren't one shot bricks and the fact you can handicap them by taking out thrusters or engines. That can be done rather easily actually...

I'm on the border of Ogonite gathering to build my third capital ship and the packs are getting nice now. Had one with a bunch of these ganging up on me blasting away. Firing runs haven't been this much fun in quite awhile. Frustrating, yeah a bit. But oh, so very satisfying to come flying in, angle that nose up and strafe the thrusters, weapons and engines. Not much they can do then.

What irks me is how easy they spin when hit. I mentioned it elsewhere, but things in this verse bounce and pop off of impacts a little too much. Makes it feel like everything is tiny with no Mass. Even if every equation was spot on, I'd like to see a little more initial ponderance to ships moving/spinning etc. My ship doesn't just fly off when I hit the throttle, it has to overcome Mass and Inertia and Laws of the Physical kind. I'd like to see more of that applied to the enemy ships and wrecks, which would help with that spinning a bit. You would get better shots up front for more spin once it started, a trade off I'd live with given how hard you can hit on a volley.

From a game play perspective, I feel if anything there needs to be a few more like these added not have them removed. Only thing that has really challenged so far was the MAD ship, and that's only because I delayed building my big ship and had to kite it a bit not having near 1/2 the shields I would carry on my big ship.

As for real, ugly or whatever... IMHO They aren't ugly nor unrealistic at all. They're rather smart, taking advantage of space and no wind resistance etc. IRL, not everything is a tank. Not every army uses the same weapons, concepts etc. I think it's naive to assume the universe shouldn't contain something because I think. Just because it's not how I would do it doesn't mean some other person/being/alien species wouldn't think it or use it.

My job isn't to judge or condemn designs.

No, my job is much simpler: Aim, shoot, boom.

Sometimes twice...

Cheers..!

Beside the rediculus spin they get with every little hit... have you ever thought about what would be left of the crew members if they would sit in the Tip of the ship when it spins. The Forces put on them would turn them into potato mash if I'm not mistaken ;D

A strategy I use to counter them is positioning my ship in their path so they hit my ship when they start to spin they are immediately stoped when hitting my ship... Or just hit them softly and a nerve where the centre of mass seems to be and fire everything on that...

• 4 weeks later...

To counter the "spin spin spin", i just edge in closer and bladt away.

Eventually, i will be close enough and there spinning with whip against my ships bow, and the spin spin spin stops.

Well ... Stops until i blast away again :)

Hilarious fun !!

• 2 weeks later...

I post this:

[...] I really hate those (IMO) stupidly long Xsotan ships (yeah, the ones that spin). I don't even know if it's possible to eliminate the code of those crap ships in lua scripts, but I'd prefer to know if that would affect achievements (yes is what I'm afraid I expect)

By the way... Come on! Anybody inside those large things would die instantaneously due to high centrifugal force. Just imagine the huge mess inside those ships: the kitchen! the bathroom!!! Nobody would build a ship like that  >:(

And this guy post this:

Anyone who has played this game knows about the dreaded ships that are as thin as you can make them. They are incredibly hard to hit unless you got lasers or whatnot, and they are just generally annoying. Does anyone else think they should be taken away and hidden in the closet forever?

Side note: When I see factions using a lot of stick-like ships, I literally do my best to kill them all

(I'm quoting to attract attention of devs of the relevance this annoying thing)

• 2 weeks later...

ammm what is the problem in here?

Why not simply apply collision damage to it..?

Drive into the middle of the spaghetti ship, provided you got some decent armor, and ... RIP.

..no..?

There are several problems with ships like the one in the picture.

- They often get stuck in debris/asteroids

- They are a pain to salvage even with 1.2 km wrackers

- They spin like mad if you hit them with a Rail at the edge making them realy hard to kill with even tiny server-lag

- If they have lasers/lightnings or in any form to-short-range weapons they are useless for their "team"