Crashing ships

Emderkill

Suggestion

Hi all,

I find that the main way that i die in this game is by crashing. The way this normal happens is that I boost into an asteroid of headlong into an enemy. This always results in death. How ever my most resent death to crashing was by The AI boosting into me. This got me thinking, what if there was an item/block that for a Large energy cost reduced incoming crash damage. This would reduce my deaths by one tenth. How ever it should not always remove the damage. Dependent on the size would decide on how much damage. An example damage model, using a constant c and a variable x you could have c^x - c. This would mean the faster the collision the higher the damage, although the damage should be negated at low speed.

I would love to hear how people feel about this idea and any improvements that could be made to it e.g. how the energy usage would look like.

Thank you for making such an amazing game, I can't wait to see what lies in its future.

2 answers to this suggestion

Have you tried putting a large stone block on the front of your ship?  You'll be as quick and agile as a nearly-dead cow shoulder-deep in thick mud, but you'll probably be able to plow through anything you want.  As long as you don't take enough damage to actually destroy the block, I believe your mechanics/engineers will repair the damage over time.

Source: using cheats I built a ridiculously large ship and plowed through an enemy fleet, part of an asteroid field, and destroyed a station with no visible damage to my craft.  Then I found you can also push gates around.  Fun times.