Welcome to the Forum!

The best place to exchange builds and ideas! Vote for the best ideas and suggestions here.

Join the Avorion Discord!

Connect with other passionate players and talk about the latest news.
Discord

DLC Avorion Into the Rift Out Now!

Now available on Steam!
Steam

There should be a block to reduce HS Calculation Time

Thundercraft

Suggestion

Hyperspace Core blocks are used to both increase jump range and reduce the hyperspace energy recharge time. However, many players just add hyperspace modules for this purpose, making Hyperspace Core blocks a bit redundant. This redundancy is more evident when one considers how, at a certain point, reducing hyperspace energy recharge time further is pointless since the calculation time will be longer.

Consider, also, how there are blocks for just about everything else. There's the Computer Core, which only helps to add a few more module slots than are normally allowed. There's the Turret Rotation Lock, which hardly anybody ever has a use for. There are Stone blocks, which are very heavy and have significantly less durability than Rick Stone blocks. There are Glass blocks, which are quite fragile and are only useful for decorative purposes. (Not to mention how neither Framework, nor Stone, Glass, Hologram, or Rich Stone count for volume for system upgrade slots.)

More recently, we now have Directional Thrusters, Gyros, and Inertia Dampeners, which more-or-less do what Thrusters do.

But, despite how many different blocks we have and despite all the different things that modules can do, we don't (yet) have any way to reduce hyperspace calculation time. (I was surprised when I learned that Computer Cores do not affect this as that seems counter-intuitive.)

Would a block (or module) to reduce HS calculation time really be too OP? What if it required a lot of material and power? What if it could only be made out of Ogonite or Avorion?

If koonschi discards this idea, perhaps he would at least consider this suggestion I found in a Steam discussion:

What I would like to see is reduced calculation time for sectors you've already been at... This would balance it out pretty well.

5 answers to this suggestion

I think this would be an excellent idea

The only thing (that I know of) that currently effects the calculation is your Generation thread # (this is a setting in your server.ini)

So basically there is no block in game that can make your PC do it faster.

What I would like to see though is a CALCULATION TIMER!!!

So at least I knew that I would be waiting for 30 seconds or 5 minutes.

But yeah basically there is a block to increase the speed of the calculation... its called a dodeca core

try here too

No reason for the time to increase with distance?

That's like saying that calculating the navigation of the Voyager Jupiter probe(s) shouldn't take any more time than calculating the navigation of the Lunar Lander. It's all the same, right?

OF COURSE it should take longer. The further out you calculate, the more factors you have to account for, and the more interactions that must be included. And when we are talking about hyperspace jumps, we're well beyond simplified Newtonian physics and into multi-dimensional mathematics that hasn't been created yet.

I don't think you understood the context of what I was saying. I was referring to the previous post.

So basically there is no block in game that can make your PC do it faster

Some have suggested before that it is not possible to reduce HS calculation time, because it is simply the time it takes your computer to load the sector you're jumping to. The time required to load the new sector is not related to how far away it is, so I don't think that is a real limitation. Calculation time also scales with ship size, which again would have no/minimal bearing on the time your PC takes to load the sector.

Now, I do agree that for calculating an actual HS jump, it would make sense that it took longer based on distance and on ship size.

I don't think you understood the context of what I was saying. I was referring to the previous post.

So basically there is no block in game that can make your PC do it faster

Some have suggested before that it is not possible to reduce HS calculation time, because it is simply the time it takes your computer to load the sector you're jumping to. The time required to load the new sector is not related to how far away it is, so I don't think that is a real limitation. Calculation time also scales with ship size, which again would have no/minimal bearing on the time your PC takes to load the sector.

Now, I do agree that for calculating an actual HS jump, it would make sense that it took longer based on distance and on ship size.

So... if i got a pc thats way faster, i should have less calculation time? That doesn't really make sence.

No reason for the time to increase with distance?

That's like saying that calculating the navigation of the Voyager Jupiter probe(s) shouldn't take any more time than calculating the navigation of the Lunar Lander. It's all the same, right?

OF COURSE it should take longer. The further out you calculate, the more factors you have to account for, and the more interactions that must be included. And when we are talking about hyperspace jumps, we're well beyond simplified Newtonian physics and into multi-dimensional mathematics that hasn't been created yet.

Yes it should take way longer, lets exaggerate and say it takes a 1000 times longer to calculate. So we multiply our calculation squad with 500 and it only takes 2 times as long! I do agree that it shouldn't be instant as it is with hs cooldown, but being able to bring it down to 25% or something would be nice

Also, does exiting into your drone and wait for the calculation to finish faster than waiting in your big ship? Since the calculation time is based on ship size...