PVE loot system is complete TRASH

Masyaka

Suggestion

Yes, its complete trash and 100% random: You WILL NEVER get a single turret from destroyed ship's arsenal. You can just get few chips and random mining/chaingun turrets of also random rarity.

Then you can loot a legendary chip from a single 0.05 size block, scince ITS ABOUT RANDOM LAWL!!

At a later stage, where all ships turn to a packet of 5-10 HUGE blocks that have the same drop rate, drop rarity and same turrets as xsotan's little 0.05 dinner plates.

Theres solution that many people probably have already suggested:

>Make loot rate depend on block size

>Make all the turrets and chips drop from ship on core destruction (make the core seen from outside)

>Make ships drop the actual turrets they use, but not random trash or legendaries.

>Mining turrets can be aquired by 50% drop from core or bought at stations

10 answers to this suggestion

I was recently noticing how rewarding some of the later drops become.  Certain ships drop higher quality and number of items later on.  In the loading screen tips iirc it does mention mining ships drop mining/salvage lasers more frequently and pirate ships drop more regular turrets.

The game's doing a pretty good job of rewarding killing lots of pirates searching for a nice drop of a turret type you want.  The only balance issue i really am noticing is that drop rates seem to be per block destroyed like you mention.  However later on I notice that ships are still similarly distributed between big blocky and lots of small blocks.  You can still find some good loot pinatas.  When you do find one it certainly makes it feel less rewarding to get the big blocky types.

The random loot is fine, but it's implemented wrongly, I think. Ships should spawn in with random weapons and upgrades, but the loot you get from them is entirely determined on what they have. Say, a 0.001% chance for an enemy to spawn in with +160% shields +90% weapon fire-rate. This ship is far stronger than the rest, but you also get a chance for the sick loot it has, rather than some shitboat dropping an epic.

I really hate to be that guy but I actually think the loot system works fine....

I have on many occasion used lasers, railguns or plasma cannons to "shoot off" the ships guns and yes... they weren't necessarily great but every once in a while when a gun actually drops from it being "shot off" its a good one!

I really hate to be that guy but I actually think the loot system works fine....

I have on many occasion used lasers, railguns or plasma cannons to "shoot off" the ships guns and yes... they weren't necessarily great but every once in a while when a gun actually drops from it being "shot off" its a good one!

I do get a few good ones as well, especially towards the center.

However, it doesn't make up for all the cannons and mining lasers I get from the other 99% of the ships.

It's a double edged sword IMHO. On the one hand, you want to get what you're being shot at with. It makes complete sense. On the other hand, it would be quite possible to have extended periods of time where that's ALL you would get.

Having random drops ensures the use of more varied weapons by the player and opens up some nice mixes and strategies you won't get if you happen to get AI with lasers for multiple sectors.

What I'd like to see is the game reward me when I get within sight range of a turret and cut it off a ship. To me, that's within a range of 1.0, real up close and personal. Outside of that keep the RNG so you can't get stuck in any kind of laser turret loop. Best of both worlds that is, and something that should be programmable/feasible.

Cheers..!

If you do get stuck with a "laser turret loop", why not just change areas? If you want something that you can't get from somewhere, clearly you should just go to the place that does, i.e one of the factions that uses cannons. No need to simplify things and add an annoying mechanic. It's the same with resources, if you need a different resource, you go get it.

If you do get stuck with a "laser turret loop", why not just change areas? If you want something that you can't get from somewhere, clearly you should just go to the place that does, i.e one of the factions that uses cannons. No need to simplify things and add an annoying mechanic. It's the same with resources, if you need a different resource, you go get it.

That's the problem... In my latest galaxy I've hit three laser areas in a row. The last one is actually dropping some of the lasers the ships are using with more frequency than the last two, but I'm still getting disproportionate amounts of cannons, force turrets, repair turrets and mining lasers.

If the system worked as I think it should, I would have to go to other sectors like you say to get cannons etc just the same as having to head to the center to get better metals. I don't have to do that now, I can get all sorts of things I really shouldn't be able to get because the RNG didn't pay attention in loot drop class.

Cheers..!

That's the problem... In my latest galaxy I've hit three laser areas in a row. The last one is actually dropping some of the lasers the ships are using with more frequency than the last two, but I'm still getting disproportionate amounts of cannons, force turrets, repair turrets and mining lasers.

If the system worked as I think it should, I would have to go to other sectors like you say to get cannons etc just the same as having to head to the center to get better metals. I don't have to do that now, I can get all sorts of things I really shouldn't be able to get because the RNG didn't pay attention in loot drop class.

Cheers..!

I must have misinterpreted what you said, because you said keep the RNG.

What I'd like to see is the game reward me when I get within sight range of a turret and cut it off a ship. To me, that's within a range of 1.0, real up close and personal. Outside of that keep the RNG so you can't get stuck in any kind of laser turret loop. Best of both worlds that is, and something that should be programmable/feasible.

What I actually said. Which translated means:

Up close and personal: Get the turrets you're shearing/cutting/blasting/surgically removing from enemy ships. You have the chance to get the good turrets this way rewarding taking chances, strategizing firing runs and the like.

From distance: Get other types, but not just a couple spammed over and over which we have now. These should always be generic/base spec drops that have to go to the research labs to try and make something special out of.

So yes, some RNG. Some is a good thing. This allows me to get some nice turrets but also allows me to get some basic other kinds of weapons without having to travel to other systems. If I want really good other weapons, then I'd have to travel to where they are or research, so again a reward for actually doing something.

I'd do it this way because of what's happening in my current map. I'd have to travel through three systems to get "other" good weapons, and they'd be low level ones to boot. As I push through the last two stages inwards maybe I don't get another laser fest. Or maybe I do.

TL;DR: Some RNG is good, but it has to be balanced with meaningful player actions that can circumvent or improve on what it delivers. As it is now, RNG is just that; everything is just luck of the draw with no rhyme or reason.

Cheers..!