Allow Captained ships to Navigate across SPACE!

Wilponderoci

Suggestion

At one point I made a request to the modding community to see if it was possible to tell an AI ship to "meet" you at a location.

Or just Come to where you are.

I have discovered a number of ways where this could be possible.

The gate system 

The wormhole system

It was made clear to me that the sectors that i am not in are not loaded and therefore the ships etc technically dont exist and could not receive commands etc.

I recently found that if I target the sector that My captained ships are in as if I am going to jump to it, it loads the sector. (I always knew this but not to the extent that I realized)

This functionality should allow for the simple issuance of commands through the

Player Inventory: Send ship Miner mk IV to new coordinates /// Summon Ship Figher Mk XXII to your current Sector.

Galaxy map: Summon All Captained ships in this sector to your current Sector /// Send All Captained ships in this Area to selected sector.

5 answers to this suggestion

I think the option to allow one 'agent' per player to act as a player - move sectors, have sectors active while present, etc - would be awesome.

Imagine writing a script to assign to a captain who takes a ship on a trade route you've worked out, or to jump from allied sector to allied sector to hunt pirates or assist in fighting invading factions, or just going around the map on an exploration mission to map available stations. Or maybe be a scavenger and collect scrap from cold battlefields.

All with a chance you'll never see them again if they come across something they can't handle, of course.

I like your ideas

The main reason I want this feature is

because I really want to scout areas

then bring the ships to the sector im in

(on their own time, based on their hyperspace jump range/cooldown etc)

when I find a good area to mine or whatever.

That way I wouldnt have to constantly play babysitter to make sure everyone jumps.

The AI ships would just eventually get to the area I sent them too.

Obviously if they got attacked or what have you I would have to jump back to rescue them.

Easily doneable.

1)check for gates that get u closer to ur ship, go 2)

2)if none, use hyperdrive in direction to ur ship, go 1), if no go 2.2

2.1)If yes, calculate speed and distance to it, use it and go 1)

2.2 )Calculate time needed to recharge hyperspace, go 2), then go 1)

3)Repeat 1) until reached sector with ur ship

Also mining ships in sectors without you:

Save sector with mining ship and asteroids with resources into RAM, their position

1)Calculate distance from mining ship to closest asteroid, calculate time needed to get there with 60% speed

2)Calculate asteroid HP and total DPS of mining ship, calculate time needed to mine

3)Calculate efficency

3)After this all, give resources to owner, repeat.

Probably make a limit for possible sectors with those ships, like 2-3 to not overkill RAM and CPU

In my original post I made a request to the mod community for something related to navigators as an additional crew that would allow ships with captains to do this.

If you're up for the challenge I would love to see someone make this mod.

IMHO it should be a game feature.

It should be fine allowing AI captains to jump between sectors that currently aren't loaded, just simply by moving them between sectors in the save file. The sectors may not simulate when not loaded, but you're still able to move data around, and the captained ship happens to be stored as data.

I don't know of the modding capabilities of this game though, so may need to be a thing the developers add.