AI uses same pathfinding/docking ports leading to damage and reputation loss

Devious

One thing I've been noticing is that the AI doesn't use the different docking ports while docking to a station.

They seem to use the same docking port and pathfinding, even multiple ships at once.

This leads to them crashing into eachother and the station constantly.

Suggestion for a fix would be to detect if a port is not obstructed, then make a path to it and occupy that port.

Next ship that comes in checks if that dock is obstructed, if so look for another port and then make a path.

One thing I've been noticing is that the AI doesn't use the different docking ports while docking to a station.

They seem to use the same docking port and pathfinding, even multiple ships at once.

Suggestion for a fix would be to detect if a port is not obstructed, then make a path to it and occupy that port.

Next ship that comes in checks if that dock is obstructed, if so look for another port and then make a path.

I've been trying to rewrite dock.lua for this, but it's not as easy as I'd hoped. lol

well i hope it works cause the ai in hits regard is utterly stupid....ive had one shove the station right into me....multiple times

another got stuck on it and sailed off with it..hard to do research when the station is in motion...and ya know after along run to get loot and items ....im done....when i get my patience back ill retry its awful...

well i hope it works cause the ai in hits regard is utterly stupid....ive had one shove the station right into me....multiple times

another got stuck on it and sailed off with it..hard to do research when the station is in motion...and ya know after along run to get loot and items ....im done....when i get my patience back ill retry its awful...

Hehe. I know exactly what you mean. While I was developing my hauling scripts, the change was implemented with the new thrusters. And my stations were pretty much flying all over the place because of my haulers ramming into them.  :o

• 5 months later...

I've just released a Mod to the public that deals with traders docking (more) properly. It solves the mentioned docking port selection issue together with most of the collisions with stations.

See [MOD] BetterDocking

• 2 weeks later...

yes we need sth like a indicator red/grey/green for docking ports.

(used by other ship/free for use/selected by player)

of course this need editing the AI and gui.

AI and player must know where to dock.

maybe sth like a docking queue linking to port no.

thx for the mod link. I'll test it soon