Hyperspace adjustments

Spacefaring_Guy

Suggestion

ONE:

The cooldown/calculation time mechanic adds something to the game - risk if you land in the wrong spot and want to escape.

However, it also adds tedium. So, I would suggest that the cooldown and calculation times should drop to zero if you land in an empty sector.

It makes no sense from an in-game perspective, but it would improve quality of play immensely.

TWO:

Computer blocks should also provide a reduction bonus against calculation time.

5 answers to this suggestion

However, it also adds tedium. So, I would suggest that the cooldown and calculation times should drop to zero if you land in an empty sector.

That tedium is what encourages you to build a ship with greater hyperspace range or traverse the gates. The game would lack incentive to create (a better ship) if the cooldown was removed.

The game would lack incentive to create (a better ship) if the cooldown was removed.

I disagree the game has a massive push to bigger is better a little less would be a welcome change.

Tho I would rather see a 'divert all systems' mechanic that lets you enter a stat of extreme vulnerability for much faster calculation and cool down.

I could see where an empty sector time elimination could be a game play thing.

I definitely like the idea of the computer blocks enabling faster computation/shorter jump plotting times.

I don't want the times to go away though TBH.

Why..? Well, why are you jumping to empty sectors..? By the time I get to jumping around I have cards that show me yellow dots and green dots and far(ther) away dots and system gate dots.

There's maybe a handful of times I'm jumping to a sector with nothing in it on my way to somewhere. And only because it's one of the few times there's nothing between me and whatever it is I'm trying to get to.

Getting through the systems, plotting routes, using any and all cards I can... It's a layer of the game I like. Sure I get the time waiting for that dang bar to fill up and waiting for a plot. To me, that means hitting the map and planning the next jump as soon as I hit space and getting aggressive with having cards that enable me to plot better jumps. That and simply avoiding empty sectors so I always have something to do. Worst case Pirates or Aliens aren't far away, and there's always a bladder run that needs doing...

At the end of the day, I control whether I jump into empty space. If I decide to do so, I do so knowing full well I'm going to have to wait for the next jump plot and the (hopefully card boosted) warp bar to fill back up before I can move on. To me that's a good thing, not a bad one. It adds a dimension of work smarter not harder and rewards good card choices and acquisition.

Definitely want that computer block help though. But only a % helper with a cap. Computers gotta compute, it should never be instant.

If the empty sector thing is ever implemented, I hope there's an off switch.

As always, YMMV.

Cheers..!!

Upon reflection (and reading the above replies) I (partially) retract my suggestion.  In multiplayer, things should stay as they are, it adds an important dynamic to the game.

However, in single player there's no real point to making me wait 30+ seconds in a void if I don't happen to have a good sector radar system or if I'm trying to make a longer trip to somewhere I've been before and have to cross a lot of empty space to get there in a straight line instead of the original winding path.

Let's say it should be a really low priority suggestion.