Welcome to the Forum!

The best place to exchange builds and ideas! Vote for the best ideas and suggestions here.

Join the Avorion Discord!

Connect with other passionate players and talk about the latest news.
Discord

DLC Avorion Into the Rift Out Now!

Now available on Steam!
Steam

Escape Pods as Cargo..?

Doc Savage NDMF

Suggestion

One little bit of reality that bothers about this game is what happens to all the crews on the ships I blow up or salvage. What bothers me isn't the fact some of them end up deaded, what bothers me is no one even tries to get off the ships.

We all (mostly) know this just isn't a game function, at least not yet. I have no idea if it's ever going to be, but some thoughts on an "easier" way to include it.

The simplest way to do this IMHO is to usurp the cargo function when you're salvaging a freighter. When you do, it spits out cargo pods. It would seem logical and simple to have any "shot down" ships eject a number of life pods, which in reality could just be re-skinned cargo containers. Treat them as stasis pods, the crew inside are asleep.

These would go into your cargo hold; meaning no cargo hold, no chance of rescue/reward. We get a pop up for no cargo space, we should be able to get a pop up for "do you want to pick up survivors" so players can role play evil grins and let them float.

As for the pods:

-First off: You can always drop anyone at any facility with the means to house/feed them for free; If you need the room, you need the room. No rewards are given for this.

-Friendly/Places That Like You: Crew would need to be returned to a Shipyard or Repair facility. Reward given same as taking out Pirates as well as a faction boost for saving fellow sailors etc.

-Pirates: Need to be taken to a Military Outpost for drinks...er...Interrogation. Reward for generic Pirates a small pence for each one. This also opens up the Electronic Bulletin Board to require picking up and returning __(insert name here)__ from the wipe out Pirates in sector missions to collect your bounty instead of never having to leave the sector afterwards and them taking your word for it. Both kinds of missions could be offered to spice up the game play and allow the simple missions to stay on board.

-Aliens: They would drop very few pods, if any. Like all things Alien, finding the one or two that elevate over the collective "kill everything that moves that isn't us" mentality should be a somewhat rare occurrence. These should have to be turned over to a Research Facility and should pay handsomely...

-Non Combatants should be always be picked up and can be dropped off at any facility. A Merchant should pay handsomely, however the reward can only be collected if they are returned to a facility that is run by their faction. We already get their home sector if we ask, this gives us an excuse to go there. Also, a Freight Company should pay nice as well if you return Crew/Cargo back to it's rightful owner; ie a facility run by the ship's home faction.

Just some random thoughts on a pieces part of the game that would add a dimension by using as many assets as possible that are already in there. In addition to adding depth to the game play, this kind of stuff opens up a ton of room for story lines, role play and modding.

As always, YMMV.

Cheers..!

12 answers to this suggestion

also the possibility to use the crew in the crew pods... Maybe with a bording mechanic that, if you recruit a crew men from an enemy faction there is chance of him turning against you while recruiting him or fighting ships of his faction. this could be handled as a boarding situation with security requiered to solve it. in an exchange the crew mans are lev 3 and for free

I'd not want to be able to use the crew in the pods unless we get Med Bay blocks to enable removal of the crew from stasis in the pods. That's a whole nother layer on top of what I'd like to see, and that depends on how deep down the rabbit hole the developer wants to go. My suggestion is a way to handle it without a lot of complexity using already in game components. 

It appears to me we're going to have boarding and ship defense. There's already pieces of it in the game, the mechanic just isn't in yet. That's going to have POW implications, unless it's mandated every contest be a fight to the death so no survivors for the losing side; which is what I'm asking be addressed for the sailors on ships that get blown up now. They all just get dead and salvaged.

Taking over a boarded ship successfully brings about a ton of new challenges and decisions concerning crew and hiring and I look forward to it. But it still won't address all those ships that just get blown up...

Cheers..!

I get the point about stasis pods and not being able to brung crew out of stasis in your cargo hold. But an alternative possibility is: if it lists the empire that the crew belongs to, and you deliver to the proper facility owned by that empire, perhaps they become available to hire?

If you deliver to the wrong empire they don't become available. If they are pirates, I like the reward idea.

And if you really wanted to incentivize this behavior, make the rescued crew have a chance of being anyone on the ship with chances for levels of experience. It would be neat to find higher level crew or even officers or captain this way.

The crew peoples could be available once the stasis pods are delivered to a shipyard/repair dock in system. They would all get thawed and return to duty, so they technically would be available for hire, and they could/would/should get a small % bonus if you hire them because you brought them in/they owe you their lives/gratitude and all that.

BUT... That is IF any of them are available. See, they're already under contract to someone else. So unless that contract stipulates it's null and void if you get blown up, they would much more likely just be placed on another ship. I know if I ran a shipping company I wouldn't have a clause that says anything remotely like "get blown up go free..!" I'd also think the crew members wouldn't want to be looking for a job just because a ship got shot out from under them, they'd want a guarantee to work after any incident, the company would want a fit for duty clause and see how complicated this gets in a very short time..??

For now, I'll just take the diversion of delivering the various types of stasis pods to somewhere and getting paid.

If we ever get a true crew hiring system like the one I mention in the insurance thread maybe we can go through all the hiring hoops as they should appear on the sector lists.

IF any of the crew members happen to be at the end of their contracts when they get exploded...

Cheers..!

Yes, I could see the whole Pirate angle as a thing.

Don't know if I'd trust them as far I could electronically throw them, but in a pinch a Pirate would be better than an empty slot.

Once ramming and boarding are introduced, what a dynamic wondering if those pirate hires will defend your ship...

Or help the Pirate boarders take you down...

The plot thickens...

Cheers..!

More numbers to track.  Instead of "I have 'x' crew", you'd need to know the likelihood of any crewmember starting a mutiny.

Now you're tracking past affiliations for each crew member, what position they're assigned to (security being the ones most likely to successfully pull off a mutiny).  Maybe you get a saboteur in engineering or maintenance, which the astute player could notice as a reduced efficiency level.

And then you end up needing a new category of crew: Internal Security.  MPs.  Human Resources.  Whatever, you need someone watching your crew to find potential problems.

It COULD be a lot of fun, and lead to mission scripts etc.  It could also be a micro-management hell.

Great idea.

It uses assets already in the game, it fits the style and the mechanics of the game, it is probably relatively easy to implement, and I think that's what we need.

Looks like the devs already have a pretty good idea where the focus of the game and their efforts will be, judging by what they have said about no ship interiors etc., which is a good thing.

I like the dev from RomWorld for exactly that, a very clear understanding of focus and must-haves before want-haves, and the ability to mercilessly prioritize. Gets shit done and makes for a lean, uncomplicated game. Leave the nice-to-have detailing to the mods.

I like the game for what it manages to do with really just simple blocks.

Recruiting captured crew, mechanics whether they are trustworthy etc. are probably waaaay to detailed and complicated.

I had a similar idea when I wondered why pilots from my shot-down fighters didn't eject.

Be nice if experienced fighter pilots had a greater chance to eject, and turn into indestructible pick-ups llike the tech cards.

Great idea.

It uses assets already in the game, it fits the style and the mechanics of the game, it is probably relatively easy to implement, and I think that's what we need.

Looks like the devs already have a pretty good idea where the focus of the game and their efforts will be, judging by what they have said about no ship interiors etc., which is a good thing.

I like the dev from RomWorld for exactly that, a very clear understanding of focus and must-haves before want-haves, and the ability to mercilessly prioritize. Gets shit done and makes for a lean, uncomplicated game. Leave the nice-to-have detailing to the mods.

I like the game for what it manages to do with really just simple blocks.

Recruiting captured crew, mechanics whether they are trustworthy etc. are probably waaaay to detailed and complicated.

I had a similar idea when I wondered why pilots from my shot-down fighters didn't eject.

Be nice if experienced fighter pilots had a greater chance to eject, and turn into indestructible pick-ups llike the tech cards.

That was the OP intent exactly.

A base game mechanic that doesn't need a metric ton of effort to make that is believable and role play friendly with a touch of imaginative skill.

Anything else is nice, but ultimately fluff. I'd rather see work to open up the game's pieces parts to modding so at the end of the day we have a bunch of options for extras instead of super detailing everything now and leaving little wiggle room for different interpretations of this mechanic.

Cheers..!