Welcome to the Forum!

The best place to exchange builds and ideas! Vote for the best ideas and suggestions here.

Join the Avorion Discord!

Connect with other passionate players and talk about the latest news.
Discord

DLC Avorion Into the Rift Out Now!

Now available on Steam!
Steam

Future updates: The Alliances Update and more!

koonschi

• Boxelware Team

Hey everybody!

I'd like to give you a short update on what we've got planned for the future. First off: We're currently busy working on the Alliances Update, and we want to make sure to get it right and not release a rushed version. This means that it'll take a little longer than you (and we as well) may have anticipated, but we'll make sure that the wait is going to be worth it. We'll take a few more weeks until it's finished, and you shouldn't expect any big updates for the time being. Of course we'll still address critical problems, such as performance problems, exploits or crashes immediately if we can. Until then: No ETA, except for: We hope to release it in a few weeks, and we'll keep you posted on how it's going.

On another note, we're currently looking to make the visuals of the game a little more cohesive, so that the ships, shots, asteroids, background, planets and effects all work together really well.

Alliances Update?

For those not knowing about the Alliances update: It will allow players to form alliances, that will count as their own factions, very similar to guilds or clans in other games. We'll add a lot of content and features to make sure that you can actually experience Avorion on a bigger scale - for example performance improvements so we can actually hold all the sectors with alliance or player ships in memory and update them. You won't have to stay around to have your factory or miner gain money. Time to finally build your empires!

Here's a rough outline for the features that we have planned for Alliances:

Alliances Update Features

• Alliances that will be formed by players
  • Co-op ship piloting
  • Sectors staying in memory while a player is online
  • Improved building mode for easier editing (scaling, moving, transforming) of whole ships
  • Player backups so your progress is not lost on server failure of any kind
  • Custom fighter plans and Steam workshop support for ship and station plans, and entire faction sets
  • Better inventory and map navigation

Further down the road

After the Alliances we're looking to make a Combat & Stealth Update, where we'll add more and more meaningful weapons and warfare features, so that combat isn't just standing-still-and-waiting-for-your-enemy-to-die. We'll give you more details on that later on, so stay tuned!

Have fun!

• Sectors staying in memory while a player is online
  • Custom fighter plans and Steam workshop support for ship and station plans, and entire faction sets 

jelWhIKz.jpeg

Time to share all those amazing creations as simple as eating pancakes!

• Boxelware Team

All features will also be available in single player, except for those where you actually need a second player to do things (like trade or co-op piloting). But you'll be able to found an alliance and have your own faction.

Hi,

any chance to use zlib (C/C++ compression library that's also used in the linux-kernel) in Avorion for compression/decompression of sector-files and so on? I used tar with gzip-compression to make backups of my savegame and it reduces the size by round about factor 5.

• Player backups so your progress is not lost on server failure of any kind

Backups would be easier, if memory-requirement is just 1/5th.

Do you know when does this patch hit the beta servers ?

[...]

I'd like to give you a short update on what we've got planned for the future. First off: We're currently busy working on the Alliances Update, and we want to make sure to get it right and not release a rushed version. This means that it'll take a little longer than you (and we as well) may have anticipated, but we'll make sure that the wait is going to be worth it. We'll take a few more weeks until it's finished, and you shouldn't expect any big updates for the time being. [...] No ETA, except for: We hope to release it in a few weeks, and we'll keep you posted on how it's going.

I'd guess "a few weeks" is more than one. Let Koonschi finish it first, then it might hit the Beta-Branch a week or two before it becomes stable, too.

New player (and ex-Eve veteran of 7+ years) here. Just bought the game a few days ago and already have 35h or so because it's sort of what I always imagined Eve pve-only / private instances would be like (but with Freelancer-style ship combat!).

Really looking forward to Alliances as me, my wife, my best friend, and a few others want to get deep into it for a while (especially with long-term updates that will continue to make the game both better and deeper, giving it tons of future playability). I've got an older Q6600 / 8GB server that we use for other private/dedicated server games (Ark and Insurgency, for instance), and I'm hoping it will be enough.

But if Avorion's dedicated server wants more cores/threads (and RAM!), I'm definitely willing to build a new server with one of the new Ryzen R7 or R5 cpus and load it with 16-32GB of RAM, if that will allow 4-10 players to be on the server at any given time (or all together). We're all a pretty tight group of PvE-only co-op gamers, we're all Eve/Freelancer veterans, and while I'm the only one playing Avorion at the moment, they're all getting annoyed on a daily basis at my texts telling them what I'm doing inside the game (just met "The AI" supercube and had a 1+ hour fight thanks to all the Xsotan and pirates and Head Hunters showing up).

Adding Alliances / more co-op / faction choices = will make this sleeper hit even better. I'm excited for the day 3-4 of us start exploring all the yellow mass systems on the map and we come across tons of wrecks and derelicts to have a salvage-frenzy party. Hopefully you'll also make it so player-owned stations are sort of like Eve's where we can share storage areas or ship hangars, etc.

Sorry for tl;dr wall of text. Seriously loving the game at the moment. Even in Early Access alpha it's more stable, more feature-rich than a lot of "finished" games.

Also, huge, HUGE thanks for focusing on co-op/PvE/friends stuff more than anything. It's like Borderlands-Diablo-in-space, and that will keep me and others coming back for a long, long time!

Enjoying flying around 'beside' my friends in a party so far - flying and working together as a FACTION with shared resources/etc. is going to be AMAZING!

Thanks for all the hard work on multi-player and co-op, as others have mentioned - it seems like the LAST thing people focus on with other projects and without focus up front, the multiplayer suffers (or doesn't even work) later.

• 3 weeks later...