Problems with performance ~7854

Wilponderoci

1 minute video with some lag and performance shown.

Im sorry about the quality im video newb...

Maybe there is something in obs setting I can change to get a better quality?

Also as OBS is capturing the actual output from the exe you are not able to see a lot of the lag... it just shows as if I am not inputing anything.

So when I am opening menus and wiggling my mouse around and the game is still waiting to show damage or process the last command its just in a state of hanging. 

Shooting stuff and no damage reads...

Takes like 10+ seconds to switch ships

Everything is in rubberband mode.

I need to catch some video of my ships all spinning around like crazy too.

I am really good at breaking stuff.

I feel like tossing my computer out the window.

Here are some logs...

Computer specs:

Default System BIOS

Processor: AMD Phenom II X4 965 Processor (4 CPUs), ~3.4GHz

Memory: 16384MB RAM

Available OS Memory: 16384MB RAM

Page File: 3621MB used, 37334MB available

DirectX Version: DirectX 11

Card name: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB

Manufacturer: NVIDIA

Chip type: GeForce GTX 1060 6GB

DAC type: Integrated RAMDAC

Display Memory: 4095 MB

Dedicated Memory: 3072 MB

Shared Memory: 1023 MB

Current Mode: 1920 x 1080 (32 bit) (60Hz)

Monitor Name: BenQ GL2760

Monitor Model: BenQ GL2760

Monitor Id: BNQ78D5

Native Mode: 1920 x 1080(p) (60.000Hz)

Output Type: HDMI

Driver Name: nvd3dumx.dll,nvwgf2umx.dll,nvwgf2umx.dll,nvd3dum,nvwgf2um,nvwgf2um

Driver File Version: 21.21.0013.7892 (English)

Good luck :)

clientlog_2017-03-29_20-55-52.zip

serverlog_2017-03-29_20-55-59.zip

I need to catch some video of my ships all spinning around like crazy too.

I am really good at breaking stuff.

I feel like tossing my computer out the window.

Well, most likely it's not your fault and not the fault of your PC. There are some performance-issues with the server (the server runs in the background in singleplayer, too).

I'm running the server on a second computer and both - the client and the server - are running on Linux (Debian Testing/Stretch). Well, I split the workload of Avorion because it got unplayable on my PC, too.

If you've got a second monitor, try to watch the RAM-usage and maybe virtual memory on your PC while playing, I bet your PC runs out of RAM and uses virtual memory (harddisk/SSD). Additional set power-saving options to performance (run the CPU at full speed).

If you've got a second PC that you could use for the server, you could try that, too. It would be best to use a Linux-System and stop any desktop-environment/GUI before starting the Avorion-Server.

From your serverlog:

2017-03-29 20-57-20| Warning, can't keep up, skipping 1 frames...

2017-03-29 20-57-28| Warning, can't keep up, skipping 28 frames...

2017-03-29 20-57-35| Warning, can't keep up, skipping 30 frames...

I don't know the tickrate of the server, but that's a lot of frames missing.

I do have several monitors and I am noticing cpu getting flooded, ram too.

Unfortunately though I dont think the little celeron laptop I have would make a good server.

My server is an AMD Athlon 5350 (AM1 APU, 4 GB Ram, Quad-Core 2.05 GHz). Is your Celeron Laptop compareable to that?

Well, do you see what is flooding your RAM? The server or the client?

bleh im trying to capture the actual video of the lag but if I record the game then lag shows as just freezes and not my input. then screen cap just show black screen... I guess I will run windowed mode next... see if that works.....

EDIT: took out the video link it was /fail

From your serverlog:

2017-03-29 20-57-20| Warning, can't keep up, skipping 1 frames...

2017-03-29 20-57-28| Warning, can't keep up, skipping 28 frames...

2017-03-29 20-57-35| Warning, can't keep up, skipping 30 frames...

I don't know the tickrate of the server, but that's a lot of frames missing.

I do have several monitors and I am noticing cpu getting flooded, ram too.

Unfortunately though I dont think the little celeron laptop I have would make a good server.

My server is an AMD Athlon 5350 (AM1 APU, 4 GB Ram, Quad-Core 2.05 GHz). Is your Celeron Laptop compareable to that?

Well, do you see what is flooding your RAM? The server or the client?

its all Avorion man.... mostly the client

New vid up too its just abysmal performance over all... at this point... turned everything down to minimum and its still runs terrible.

Have you tried playing on a public server? If you've got a good internet-connection, that might be an alternative for you.

If that solves the performance-issues, it's the server that causes you so much trouble. And you could try, if that solves your DC-issues, too.

BTW, I found a few things in the Log:

2017-03-29 20-55-59| worker threads: 3

2017-03-29 20-55-59| generator threads: 4

worker-threads do the work of the server, you could use 4, generator-threads generate new sectors, you can live with 1 of those (even if it takes a second longer to generate a new sector).

I could play on a public but as it stands I want to finish my current game with my progress. (not to much to ask imho).

In fact I am hoping darkconsole will have a public server up on her monster machine soon (correct me if it is already)

I also have several friends that play so yeah... lots of fun to be had.

One of the issues I may be experiencing is the amount of mods I am using currently is about 7 I think...

these are at least 50% pretty much indispensable mods as well... not just QOL.

Also no matter how many times I have set the server.ini to use 4 worker threads it defaults to 3.

No new video i am too much of an idiot to post them at this time... need to work on my skillz....

I will try setting the worker threads to 4 again and the generators to 1 but as it stands right now it takes about 6-10 minutes to load my save up.

and about 3-7 minutes per sector during travel.

I am excited to start over again once I get the performance issues resolved but as it stands I cant see it being any different once I get to the same level in a new game.

I mean I have literally 1000s of mods and turrets. I have 100s of explored sectors. I have no intention of playing the game differently on a new run through.

not even close

I have pretty much tracked the majority of the issues with having multiple fleet ships.

Im fairly certain that one of my fleet or several of my fleet is severely glitched and causing the problem with my performance.

Jumping out of the sector with out my ships has basically solved the problem so I am going to strip them and remake all of them.

That really does sound like one of your mods is just eating up all your cycles when you have multiple ships.

Any mod that could affect that? It's one of the reasons why I made my Hauler mod to only always have 1 ship that's doing the actual work, and the rest are just slaves that carry out 1 order at a time.

I also have big issues with loading into the game when I have more than about 3000 or so inventory (turrets, system modules, that sort of stuff). I need to sell/clean out every once in a while to avoid being stuck on Loading.... forever.

im not certain that its the mods... but after rebuilding and deconstructing my fleet (not in that order), selling a ton of modules and turrets and researching them as well. Things are at least playable.

As far as the mods im not really running anything that would take up cycles to my knowledge.

Unfortunately the only way to get rid of mods and still use my save is to bork the mod so its invalid. so thats a bit of an issue. I haven't been able to load a save after removing a mod yet. I was able to modify server.lua to not check one of the mods though.

yeah but removing them just seems to make problems.

As is stands im using

Transport Permit

Detailed Turret Tooltips

Pirate Warlord, Dockbuilding, Better Shipyards

Avorion Commands package

Clean sector  I had to edit the server.lua to make this not work bc its useless on single player afaik

Turret Fatory Seed Entry

Findstation

Salvage Command  this is superfluous i know so its invalidated. 

Better Transfer

Auto-research

Just double checked... The Salvage mod is totally removed so i stand corrected.

Everything seems to be working fine other than the fact that whenever I fire my guns my screen freezes for a few seconds.

I havent made any more ships than just a miner to accompany me at this time so... Im assuming it had something either to do with poor AI optimization or that there was some borked entity id for the fleet ships that was causing the game to use up massive amounts of resources... I actually have some video of making a jump where one of my smaller ships actually spawned inside my main ship.... YEAH like COMPLETELY inside it.

• 2 weeks later...