[req] option to disable mail, force p2p docking

darkconsole

Suggestion

7 answers to this suggestion

The option to drop a beacon and/or stash would be nice.  I suppose right now you could found a ship that's just a cargo bay... but that would decay without crew, right?

I do think being able to 'email' everything through the ether when the whole rest of the game is based on the need to physically travel to places to get things is a bit counter to the premise.

The fact we can actually see everything in a sector let alone talk with it instantly is a bit off.

IRL the battles you see over there..? They happened hours ago. They were done before the light you see them by reached you.

I think you should *have* to use mail for anything outside the sector you are in. I can fathom game play wise being able to see all in a sector and communicate with it.

Sector to sector should need a special station at the gates at the very least, though that's sorta boring.

In fact, one of the bulletin board jobs could/would/should be hauling the (electronic) mail.

Bonuses for speed gentlemen. Gentlewomen. Gentle Alien Folk. You get the idea...

Cheers..!

How about it's assumed gates have near-instant relay... like galactic SMS? Then you could have a formula of:

Message delivery time = 5 min x #sectors from sender to nearest gate + #sectors from recipient to nearest gate.

And make delivery free for data, but charge for matter transmission (and matter transmission should require endpoints, so why not require docking at a gate?).

It's not perfect - there isn't a path from every gate to every other gate, but perhaps it's good enough for the game.

I'm not for teleporting stuff... Makes freight pointless if you can do that at all. Makes mail just another screen.

Messages I can see, but even then I'd rather have the fun of a mission where I absolutely, positively have to be there in a fortnight running high value important communiques.

I may be looking at things a little off, but I would want as much diversity in mission types and have more things depend on the player and the ships than have all of it done for me and just sit around and blow stuff up. Don't get me wrong, blowing stuff up is glorious fun... But it gets old if that's all there is to do...

Apologies if I misunderstood something...

Cheers..!

I'd be fine with mail of items disappearing... but maybe not just yet. The game still has some problems that can leave you in an inescapable downward spiral until you're just a drone in the starting sector.

It's nice when a friend can get you what you need quickly enough to survive.

But when the bugs are worked out, absolutely. I was just thinking about how to make teleportation work if the player base insisted it had to stay.